The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New NIN Album in HD Audio free download
Old 5th May 2008
Gear Maniac

New NIN Album in HD Audio free download

05 May 2008: HALO 27

Click HERE to get the new full-length nine inch nails record: the slip

(thank you for your continued and loyal support over the years - this one's on me)

Digg this!

cheers moma
Old 5th May 2008
Lives for gear

what's the business idea behind this?
Old 5th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
First of all, Trent has enough money that honestly he doesn't have to worry about it. Hell, he could quit music and touring overall and just write a book and go on speaking engagements at this point and have enough money to live lush for the rest of his life. In short- there doesn't have to be a business idea.

However, I think there is a business idea. I think he wants to sell out this next tour in a massive way. He normally has pretty good ticket sales, but releasing in essence 5 albums between tours, all for free is a pretty good way to stimulate interest. There's no way a NIN fan will be able to think, "Oh, I've already seen them on tour... it's just going to be the same thing".

He's also still giving the industry a major finger. He's doing so much work by himself and/or with a tight group of people. He doesn't need a record company, and he's letting them know it. That in itself is a major idea for him I believe.

Also, just for overall reputation, the press that he is getting (and not to make the comparison but that Radiohead got too) from doing these is setting him out beyond the competition in a serious way. He couldn't pay for this type of publicity, and likely figures that any money made with a "traditional record company" would be worth less than what this publicity is worth.

No amount of posters, billboards, TV spots, etc would get him this type of attention. Trent knows how to use social media online, he knows his fanbase and he's having a great time with all of it.

Trent's other business idea is to release as much as possible, as often as possible. No record company schedules, no listening groups, no worrying about what Wal*Mart will think. He is without contraints. I'm sure many of us wish we could say that.
Old 5th May 2008
Here for the gear

It seems to me they are using this album as a loss leader for they're upcoming tour.
By having a small team in house doing almost everything (writing, programming, mixing,) they could realistically keep the album budget reasonable. Without having
the bloat that is common with the big labels, they can probably move very quickly.

It wouldn't be a huge shock if this album was put together for the sole purpose
of promoting the tour. For instance, to download the album you give them an email
address. You are then asked if you would like to send the download links to your
friends. At some point you will receive an email offering pre-sale tickets for the
upcoming tour.

It's really pretty brilliant. They can market directly to their fans. In exchange for
who the fans are (email,) you get a downloadable album (including 24/96).
Now every one of their fans get to hear the album before going to the show.

Undoubtedly, the tour will make a killing. Ticket prices, merchandise, etc. have
a much better mark up than albums do currently, so it looks like they are just
choosing what is a better bet to make their money.

Trent is giving the razor away for free, but charging for the blades, so to speak.
Old 5th May 2008
Gear Maniac

very good saying with the razor...first toothbrushes then razors and inkjet printers and now NIN...a quiet logic chain .-)

cheers moma
Old 5th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
At some point you will receive an email offering pre-sale tickets for the upcoming tour.
Good call, I got my email yesterday about pre-sale tix, I presume from the Ghosts download.
Old 5th May 2008
Gear Maniac

was it personaliced ? did trent sign it
Old 6th May 2008
Lives for gear

Well, Trent said "thank you for your continued and loyal support over the years, this one's on me".
Old 6th May 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Whatever the business idea, it certainly makes it hard for newer independent artist to make a living. When there's Radiohead and NIN giving away their full-lengths for free, it kind of perpetuates the "Music should be FREE" adage that is growing more and more common today.

People who are in smaller bands playing <100 capacity crowds get the retort on their merch like "NIN's album is FREE and I've never heard of these guys, but I have to PAY for this record OMG!!!"

It makes it really hard to break into the touring game, ESPECIALLY with gas prices soaring. Here in Milwaukee, there used to be a good number of low level touring bands stoping by regularly at the 80 cap club I was doing sound at - these bands included: The White Stripes, Interpol, Queens of the Stone Age, Bright Eyes, The Faint, Cursive and other lesser known bands that were still VERY good bands. When gas prices hit $3.00/gallon this low level market kind of dried up.

It used to be that you could make a living traveling state to state playing smaller clubs and still be an adult - not living at your parents house. When it costs $140-200 in gas for a 6 hour drive, this really closes the window of oppurtunity of building a fan base regionally.

I am happy I can hear the NIN for free and not feel like a criminal though.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 6th May 2008
Gear Guru

the band - album paradigm has radically changed- for artists in the top tier- their income is mostly derived from touring and licensing- to do free albums endears them to their fan communities which sells performance tickets- and physical product- It is a good will builder ultimately- I would not at all be surprised if Trent said to use the money saved to buy some young artists cd.
A cool and mature thing for him to do...
Old 6th May 2008
Gear Nut

Thanks

Much appreciated..

SalvoMix
Old 6th May 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
LOL
Old 6th May 2008
soulstudios
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyPeru View Post
Whatever the business idea, it certainly makes it hard for newer independent artist to make a living. When there's Radiohead and NIN giving away their full-lengths for free, it kind of perpetuates the "Music should be FREE" adage that is growing more and more common today.

People who are in smaller bands playing <100 capacity crowds get the retort on their merch like "NIN's album is FREE and I've never heard of these guys, but I have to PAY for this record OMG!!!"

It makes it really hard to break into the touring game, ESPECIALLY with gas prices soaring. Here in Milwaukee, there used to be a good number of low level touring bands stoping by regularly at the 80 cap club I was doing sound at - these bands included: The White Stripes, Interpol, Queens of the Stone Age, Bright Eyes, The Faint, Cursive and other lesser known bands that were still VERY good bands. When gas prices hit $3.00/gallon this low level market kind of dried up.

It used to be that you could make a living traveling state to state playing smaller clubs and still be an adult - not living at your parents house. When it costs $140-200 in gas for a 6 hour drive, this really closes the window of oppurtunity of building a fan base regionally.

I am happy I can hear the NIN for free and not feel like a criminal though.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
I agree with your perspective and would add that this will be used by the torrenters & p2p'ers as a fake proposition for how the internet is empowering artists and that musicians aren't suffering when (a) Trent got where he is on the back of the traditional marketing&manufacturing machine (b) He's got enough dough to not care whether he makes a profit and (c) Everybody already knows him, he's got legions of fans, and no longer needs the advertising and distribution that got him where he is.
It's not so much an example of the 'POWUH OF TEH INTERWUB' as an example of an established artist adapting well to the new scenario.
My 2c.
[email protected]
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Nut

i don't really see a free NIN release as hurting independent artists...but the idea should maybe force them to do something different. everyone should be doing something different. I think the CD is dead. I appreciate great packages by bands i like..but the rest...take up space and scratch easily.

I think independent artists should offer at least free one song downloads..its already being done. Public run radio stations offer them all the time..I've seen indie label have shows/showcases where people can insert their ipod/usb drive and get samples.

I don't know how many times I've ran sound for bands and really dug there stuff only have been too poor to afford anything (or too embarrassed to ask for a free CD.) If I can remember their name..I check em out on myspace the next day..and thats usually about as far as it gets. If I can download just ONE of those songs there is a greater chance i will keep listening to it and probably play it for friends.

now if i had the money in the first place to buy the CD this would all be easier...of course i am a poor sound guy who barely makes a living. the rest of the people in the club are often sadly, more interested in getting drunk and laid

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search