The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Technica ATM450!!
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Nut

Audio Technica ATM450!!

So I purchased two of these a few months back and have been experimenting quite a bit with them with some expectedly fantastic results, but also with some very surprising ones!

Snare Drum: Excellent definition, not overly hyped in the mid-range. Great balance and crispness. Decent rejection from hi-hat if placed well. Very little processing needed -- used mainly in a big band setting, but also used it on a rock session. It's now my go-to snare drum mic. Would love to try them all around the toms as well.

Acoustic Bass: Again, great definition. A little mid-rangy depending on placement, but nothing that can't be notched out. The integrity of the signal holds up really well with notch EQ and filters.

Piano: Would be great for a focused sound in a pop/rock track. Not my cup of tea for classical or jazz piano. Much rather prefer the 4011's, Schoeps Cardioids or Omnis, or the DPA 4060's (with the magnets to place inside the piano!)

Cello: Pretty much the same results as the acoustic bass. A tad mid-rangy, but fine with a bit of EQ. A bit more agressive with A/B-ed with a Schoeps hyper, but still very nice.

Drum Overheads: Need to retest this. Tracked them as overheads in a really bad room -- didn't like the sound very much. Have used 4011's in the same room with the same configuration...those worked out much better.

Harp: This is by far the best application other than snare drum that I've found yet! In fact, I'm on a break from recording an orchestra rehearsal as I type this and I have that mic on the harp. Clean, quiet, and just cuts very nicely. Brings out the transient material beautifully!

Sitar: Yes, have tried this on Sitar. I had both a Schoeps Omni and this side by side. I chose the Schoeps, but the 450 held up very nicely. Lacked some beef in the bottom end in comparison to the Schoeps, but I would use it if the Schoeps was unavailable.

Bass Clarinet: Had this up with a U89 a few weeks ago. It was an Evan Ziporyn piece -- he was playing with a large ensemble and I was testing this out for his solo mic. The 89 had more of a lush quality that I preferred, but again, the 450 held up well.

In most of the cases where I've had the 450 up with other mics to A/B it, I chose the other mic mainly because of the low end representation. The 450 is good, but doesn't have the fullness I'm looking for all the time in the low end. Somewhere around 60 Hz or so...varies from instrument to instrument.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the good news!

BTW, the mic almost always went through a Grace 802 or an API 3124+ through PRISM or RME converters and into Nuendo.

Thanks!
Old 24th December 2007
Lives for gear

atm 450

I really love this mic on toms! Like you said not a big bottom to this mic but for the right instruments it works great. I use one overhead(B&0 BM3 ribbon) and these 450 mics on the toms add just a little hi end to the cymbols that works just nice with the ribbon mic. I'm very happy with them. It has taken my drumset sound up a notch!

Old 24th December 2007
Jai guru deva om

In my room on overheads they just kill about anything else for drums.

I'm not a big fan of them on acoustic guitar, but they edge out other mics most times for drums.

I haven't used on piano, but have heard very good reports from customers using them there.

As a close mic on snare and toms they do excellent as well.

Congrats! I'm proud to say I was the first fan of this mic.

War
Old 24th December 2007
Gear Nut

Glad to see others have had good luck with it!
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear
I only wish they did a multi-pattern version of it.
Old 29th November 2010
Such an awesome mic!!! I use it on snare and toms and it is perfect. Great top, super smackabang for snare. Can't ask for more.

Clip with ATM450 on snare and toms, no fill in this clip but the toms aren't gated so they leave a bit of room in the drums.

OH Oktava mk-012
Kick Beta 52
Room Peluso 2247LE

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6057364-post1424.html
Old 30th November 2010
Lives for gear

I have one cheap if anyone is interested. Thanks
Old 3rd January 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Such an awesome mic!!! I use it on snare and toms and it is perfect. Great top, super smackabang for snare. Can't ask for more.

Clip with ATM450 on snare and toms, no fill in this clip but the toms aren't gated so they leave a bit of room in the drums.

OH Oktava mk-012
Kick Beta 52
Room Peluso 2247LE

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6057364-post1424.html
I also dig the AMT450 on snare..escpecially combined with a Beyer M201.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I used them for overheads and they did a great job for rock drums...I later bought some Josephson C42's and I like them more for overheads. I will have to try the 450's on snare though...never thought about using it for that. My next drum recording I will throw the 450 out there with my normal I5 and compare. I hate the 450's on acoustic also...I have a nice Taylor and it just seemed to bring out the bad in that guitar worse.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Guru

For the money these mics ROCK!! Thanks Warren for turning me onto them.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

What's funny about the ATM450's is Alan Parsons uses these to record acoustic guitar in one or two of the videos he made for the Art and Science of Sound videos and they sound fine so maybe on some acoustics they work just fine (I'm sure he's much better at EQ than most of us also ) I'm pretty sure he was endorsed by AT but they make a lot of mics that I would have thought would have been better suited choices for acoustic guitar but who knows.
cam
Old 7th July 2011
Gear Nut

Rep brought in a couple of these to my work for me to demo the other day. So far I only had the chance to try them out on acoustic guitar through two UA twin-finity pres. The sound I came out with was not bad, especially considering the price point. Definitely prefer the 4050 on acoustic though.

After reading through this I've decided I have to try them out on drums.
Old 8th July 2011
Gear Nut

Definitely not my favorites on acoustic instruments, but on snare drum and toms, it's pretty great.
Old 19th October 2011
Gear Head

Used AT450s for overheads on new Bill Toms record, "Memphis". Sound great. We used them for some acoustic stuff too: a D18, mando... sounded good. Probably just matched up with the song. Used a U87 for a lot of acoustics, too, and of course it sounded marvelous. But when we threw that little AT up on my Martin, it sounded cool.
Old 26th November 2011
Lives for gear

I've used a pair of ATM450's on acoustic guitar, in XY, had to play with placement the get the sound I was looking for but I'm very happy with the result.

Old 11th June 2013
I didn't like them on piano, at least for jazz or oldies. Not enough low end for me. (And I have 2 of them for sale if anyone is interested, PM me for an astonishingly reasonable price.)
Old 4th March 2015
Gear Head

It's the cutest mic in my collection. I use it on my ride cymbal, hi-hat and on cello as a pickup-mic. I'm happy with the results.
There's no need for another mic for close miking practice.
Attached Thumbnails
Audio Technica ATM450!!-dscn3137.jpg   Audio Technica ATM450!!-dscn3101.jpg  
Old 2nd August 2016
Lives for gear

I recently bought two of these to replace the KM184s I traded for other stuff. They really are good little mics for the money. I've been mainly using them on toms and hand percussion - as said, they don't have a whole lot of bass (from what I have my first choice for a big sound with plenty of clarity is the Lewitt LCT 550) but what they capture sounds good off the bat and tends to just sit and stack without fuss. Plus they're so easy to place!

Last edited by microwave; 2nd August 2016 at 05:28 AM..
Old 11th June 2019
still digin these in 2019?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search