The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody bought from Soundbroker.com?
Old 16th April 2004
Gear Nut

Anybody bought from Soundbroker.com?

I was checking out some of there prices wanted to know if anybody has used them? What is B-Stock? Anybody? Thanks
Old 16th April 2004
Lives for gear

The few times I've tried dealing with them it was more hassle then it was worth. I have no idea how they stay in business....
Old 16th April 2004
Lives for gear

B-stock is your friend! Well, it is mine...

Most oems definition of B-Stock should usually be units that have superficial imperfections, such as scratches / dents or maybe light use from being loaned to a customer as an interim measure.

I have plenty of B-Stock in my studio (I'm a cheapskate, I confess :-). Whenever I've bought B-Stock it has come with a full warrantee on the electronics, it just that there's a cosmetic issue stopping it being sold at the usual price.

B-Stock = Bargain (unless you're really anal about scratches etc, if you can afford to be good luck to you!)

After a few years use no-one will know you bought a B-stock when you sell it on, therefore B-Stock can help to minimise depreciation.

Cheers,
Justin
Old 16th April 2004
Lives for gear

i bought a alan smart c-2 from/through them..
and had good service, but is was a new item w/ warrantee
the dude i dealt with was named jan...which is kind of a strange name for a fella...best of luck
joe reineke
www.orbitaudiorocks.com
Old 16th April 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
the dude i dealt with was named jan...which is kind of a strange name for a fella...best of luck

[/B]
jan is actually a pretty common name in the upper Midwest. sometimes pronounced Jon . BTW Thanks. Anybody else.
Old 16th April 2004
Lives for gear

dfegad Soundbroker.com... aka "DBXWORLD"....

For B stock, they should have much better prices.... I can get a Blue series compressor for that price new...
Old 17th April 2004
Gear Addict

horrible horrible service!

I can't say it enough.

Horrible
Old 17th April 2004
More cowbell!

They list a lot of things both used and new that seem very attactive--I caution strongly.

May I suggest a few similar, yet more comfortable options in the same vein?

http://www.vintageking.com

http://www.classicelectronics.com

http://www.odysseyprosound.com

http://www.tmopaudio.com

There is also one called htics, but I forget the web addy.

later,

KT
Old 17th April 2004
Lives for gear

Hmmm.. why are so many of these brokers flakes..

I often send them emails about certain pieces of kit never to hear a return email.

I sent emails to TMOP and never got a reply,w hich is a shame cos they missed out on decent some sales.

On the other hand VK, classic and odyssey are allways on the case and prompt. Amn it makes me wonder if it too hard to pimp gear and take someones money?
grudge grudge

Wiggy
Old 17th April 2004
Lives for gear

I tried buying a pair of KM54s through these guys once and couldn't even get ANY service. I gave up after a few weeks and got my stuff through Sonic Circus.

BTW, Jan isn't really such a strange name for a fella...

JAN (1)__ m__ Dutch, Scandinavian, Czech, Polish, German
Dutch, Scandinavian, Czech, Polish and German form of JOHN. This was the name of Flemish painter Jan van Eyck and the Dutch painter Jan Vermeer.
Old 17th April 2004
Gear Head

Jan, like in Bart-Jan....
Old 17th April 2004
Lives for gear
Soundbroker has never gotten back to me in a reasonable amount of time about anything.

I would have to agree. Take a big dfegad on these guys
Old 17th April 2004
Gear Maniac

I tried buying something from TMOP. I emailed them, and they emailed me back and said it was available. I emailed back, asked for a shipping quote and how they accept payment. He emails me back about 2 hours later and tells me sorry, its been sold... Definately a little strange. If there was a pending transaction on it, why did he tell me it was available...
Old 17th April 2004
Gear Addict

www.hticsproaudio.com

great on the phone, terrible via email.

Nice people tho--- very willing to help

Marsh
Old 18th April 2004
Well I've bought all my Midas stuff through them (2 Venices, 3 XL42s, and a Verona), and they've always been extremely responsive. I deal with Richard O'Halloran there.
Old 5th March 2007
Here for the gear

SoundBroker.com Is the Best Place on Earth to Buy or Sell

SoundBroker is the largest used gear sales company on the planet. We have over 18,000 active listings of gear.

Some people might feel that we don't respond to them, however that is not true (at least not since 2005. If someone inquires about an item using our system, they get an initial response from us, which tells that person that we got the email and we will forward the email to the seller, which we do. Sometimes, however, the Sellers do not reply to our email. Considering that on any given day we get over 100 inquires, some of the requests for items under $1,000.00 left us no time to check. I knew that was a challenge and last year, we implemented a new system that reminds us in 5 days to re-contact the seller, if we haven't gotten a response. We also added more staff members to facilitate a more effective customer service.

If you have noticed, none of the people that complain about SoundBroker.com have bought or sold anything with us. The only complaint seems to come from people who want to business with us, but for what ever the reason have not. Our phone number is posted on every page of our website, if someone really wanted to get in touch with us, it is simple. In the thousands of sales that we have done in since 1997, everyone got what they paid for when it arrived at their door, or we made it right.

One more thing I would like to say and that is about pricing, SoundBroker.com does not set the price, the buyer sets the price and on new items, everything that we have listed is at either MSRP or MAP pricing. If you are looking for a deal, make an offer.

If you are looking to buy or sell gear, check out SoundBroker.com for yourself.

Jan Landy, CEO & Founder
SoundBroker.com
Old 10th March 2007
hI! Well what is really annoying is that some these stores don't guarantee you that the product is yours!
I bought o paid full for a Trident pre amp and then the guy from Oddysey Prosound called me and said that the owner wants to sell the unit to somebody else...so he just paid back the money on my credit card but ..i lost another deal trusting i would get the trident pre amp from Oddysey pro sound...the guy was nice...but this situation made me lose a great deal and at the end i got nothing..not the trident...no the API!!
Old 26th April 2007
Gear Maniac

Soundbroker.Com

I am doing a deal right now for 11.5k through Jan Landy at Soundbroker.Com.

Rest assured I will post a report on my experience when the deal is done. So far so good.

Ken
Old 5th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Current deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlake HR1 View Post
I am doing a deal right now for 11.5k through Jan Landy at Soundbroker.Com.

Rest assured I will post a report on my experience when the deal is done. So far so good.

Ken
How did it go with your deal?

I`m doing a deal right now for $3235 through Jan Landy at Soundbroker.com and I`ll post a report on my experience!
Old 5th June 2009
Lives for gear

I bought my Radar 24 system through Soundbroker, as well as an Otari MTR12. Dealing with Jan Landy over the phone was a decent, professional experience. As Brokers, they hold the cash until everyone is happy. The MTR12 was not as pristine as the seller had claimed, and Jan negotiated a substantial credit for me to put towards having it cleaned up and brought up to peak condition ( thanks JRF )
If they have a listing for something you are looking for, and you can work out a comfortable deal, I think you will be happy with them and their service.
Old 26th December 2009
Here for the gear

B-Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kifaru View Post
I was checking out some of there prices wanted to know if anybody has used them? What is B-Stock? Anybody? Thanks
The main difference between A Stock and B Stock is the price in most cases.

A Stock is in a factory sealed box that has never been opened.

B-Stock can have numerous meanings but for the most part it is a new item from the manufacturer with full warranty. It might have either minor cosmetic defects not visible from more than 5 feet away, or is a demo or trade show sample, or the box was opened for inspection. It is fully functional and in 100% working order. In short, it is a great way to save money.

PLEASE NOTE: When ordering a B-Stock item, upon SoundBroker.com issuing you our invoice, we need to receive your payment immediately in order to insure that we will be able to complete this order. We are prepared to place your order with the manufacturer upon receipt of your payment, however because there is a limited amount of B-Stock product and it is on a first come first serve basis, we reserve the right to refund your total payment in the unlikely event, that the B-Stock item is no longer available at the time we place the order on your behalf.

All my best,

Jan
Jan Landy
SoundBroker.com
Cash Landy Pro Sales, Inc.
Linking Buyers & Sellers Together For Decades
Pro: Sound, Lights, Staging, Video
Tel. 702-736-3003 Fax. 702-736-8890

Have you checked out our web site today?
SoundBroker.com - Linking Buyers and Sellers

Follow me on:
FaceBook: Jan Landy | Facebook
My PodCast: http://tinyurl.com/ktao52
Twitter: http://tinyurl.com/ld9bt7
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear
Eh, I have bad experience with B-Stock. Particularly Denon and Marantz (same company). I was sent a broken item (it turned on, but no sound ran through it. The company I bought it from wouldn't take a return because it was B-stock, and Denon (Marantz) repair facility was "changing locations" for 2 whole years! Couldn't get a single arsehole on the phone until well after the warranty was up. THE OFFICIAL MARANTZ REPAIR FACILITY WAS ABOUT A HALF HOUR FROM MY HOUSE IN NJ, and there was nothing I could do. THEY TOTALLY BLEW THEIR CUSTOMERS OFF WHILE STILL MANUFACTURING AND SELLING GEAR! Needless to say, I recreated the copier scene from office space and moved on. BEWARE of Marantz! THEY SUCK! 2 YEARS WITHOUT A CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT!!! 2 YEARS!!!!!!!!!
USED is better than B-STOCK!
Old 28th December 2009
Here for the gear

Smile B-Stock and Customer Service

That is an amazingly poor experience you had. We are not dealers for Marantz so I have no comment about them.

I can say this about the customer service. Make sure that before you buy B-Stock from anyone that they are reputable dealers for that product. Today there are companies that are not dealers that are buying close outs and reselling them.

I am surprised that Marantz does not have authorized repair centers, because it has been my experience that all units that we sell from other manufacturers go by the serial number to validate that the unit is still under warranty and you can send the unit to anyone of them for repair, once you have an Return for repair authorization number (RMA). If the unit is still under factory warranty try that. - Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
Eh, I have bad experience with B-Stock. Particularly Denon and Marantz (same company). I was sent a broken item (it turned on, but no sound ran through it. The company I bought it from wouldn't take a return because it was B-stock, and Denon (Marantz) repair facility was "changing locations" for 2 whole years! Couldn't get a single arsehole on the phone until well after the warranty was up. THE OFFICIAL MARANTZ REPAIR FACILITY WAS ABOUT A HALF HOUR FROM MY HOUSE IN NJ, and there was nothing I could do. THEY TOTALLY BLEW THEIR CUSTOMERS OFF WHILE STILL MANUFACTURING AND SELLING GEAR! Needless to say, I recreated the copier scene from office space and moved on. BEWARE of Marantz! THEY SUCK! 2 YEARS WITHOUT A CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT!!! 2 YEARS!!!!!!!!!
USED is better than B-STOCK!

Last edited by SoundBroker; 28th December 2009 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear
THanks. The problem I had is to get an authorization for repair. Everytime I would call Marantz I would get the number for Denon customer service, which was down due to "location change" for two whole years. Marantz refused to help me directly, rerouting my call to the same answering machine message for Denon customer support. Yes, I had a horrible experience, especially since I went to the Denon customer service center in person and saw an empty office with unpainted drywall. My suggestion to you as a retailer is to accept returns on B-Stock items, because I never used the retailer in question ever again. Again this has nothing to do with SoundBroker, just B-Stock. Also, I didn't even know the item was B-Stock, the only indicator being a "B" at the end of the serial number. I was astonished at both the retailer and Marantz. To all you B-Stock lovers, make sure you understand your retailers B-Stock policies, and how they list B-Stock items in their inventory.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjetillunde View Post
How did it go with your deal?

I`m doing a deal right now for $3235 through Jan Landy at Soundbroker.com and I`ll post a report on my experience!
I forgot to say the deal was successful
Old 30th November 2011
Here for the gear

Based upon the semi-positive response I saw on this thread with most people completing transactions successfully, I decided to buy a console I had been contemplating through Soundbroker. The morning after placing my order, I received a call from Jan that I couldn't answer right away, so let it go to voicemail. When I checked my voicemail, I found a very condescending message about how I shouldn't buy the board that I want (the same model that I've worked with extensively and have performed maintenance on) because it "won't fit in my car" and because it's supposedly going to break when I lug it around in my car (never my intention, however it's a board designed to be toured). He then tried to sell me some Behringer board that he cites as "amazing" instead. He then sent me an email saying that he can't sell me the console in good faith. I do want the board, but will now wait until the next one I find. He just lost a customer.
Old 28th March 2019
Here for the gear

I haven't bought anything from them so far - we have sold a few Barco projectors though them a couple years back. We were looking at buying some moving lights- but Jan is an absolute jerk and very pushy and demanding.

He clearly does not understand that people are busy and it might take a day or two to respond back to him when we are slammed. He got ticked that I hadn't responded when his first email clearly stated we had until the end of the month. Well the very next day 5 days from the end of the month he started pushing and calling but with the time difference and the crazy touring schedule, I was not able to get ahold of him.

Today he literally demanded I respond and threaten us. Of course I have little patience for assholes in this world, so I called him back and told him - hey dude we have until the end of the month by your own words. Stop pressuring us and understand we are busy and will get back once we land our decision. He was very pissy - at which point I was done and fully informed him that he clearly doesn't live in the real world and needs to get a clue. He proceeded to tell cuss me out and tell me no one talks to him that way.

Well guess, what I won't talking to you EVER again. Loser and scumbag garbage piles such as this guy need a lesson on civility and customer service. I hope his client understand he just cost them a sell.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The best customer service and largest selection of equipment anywhere.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search