The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin 6 Studio Monitors
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

Focal Twin 6

Hey gang,

I know there are like 1000 threads about the speakers but I had to share my experience with them last night.

I have been struggling with some mixes I have been finishing up with some mackie hr824s . I received my focals in the mail yesterday and said, what the hell, might as well try them for this project(the mastering session is today). I figured if I didn't like the mixes, I had some pretty safe ones in the bag that the client has approved.

So I plugged them in to the trusty avocet and started listening to some references. Honestly, I wasn't excited at all when I first heard them. I put on some pretty trustworthy stuff and it didn't sound that great to me and the low end wasn't what I was used to(was mixing with a crappy sub and the mackies). I had to trim the high gain on the speakers around 2(I've heard others here say they did the same). After about an hour they started to sound better, but not great in my room(treated extensively).

I thought, okay, here we go. I pulled up the first mix for this project and did a quick recall. I made some adjustments an noticed that I could hear MUCH smaller fader, eq, and compression changes. This is good, I thought. I made some, what seemed like, minor changes that were pretty obvious and printed a mix for the crappy car stereo.

I took a drive to hear the results. HOLY F&^&ing SH*%! That was the mix I had been trying to achieve for two weeks! I was literally pounding my fist on the ceiling of my car and yelling obscenities as loud as I could. That must have looked really strange to the other folks on the road now that I think about it. I hit it out of the park in about 20 minutes with the focals. This can't be that easy. Surly this is a fluke. I tested it on my home stereo, my lady's car, the tv, just about everything that made sound around the house. Perfect.

This could not have come at a more perfect time. I was really starting to doubt my skills and my gear. All of those worries have gone away. I printed a new mix for every song and nailed everyone. Didn't have to mix one thing twice after using the focals. I ftped the client the new mixes and he pooped his pants. They went from acceptable to outstanding. Everyone is extremely pleased.

Long story short, I might be the happiest Gearslut on earth today. I would not have found out about these speakers without you guys. This place is great. Thanks guys.
Old 31st August 2007
Yep! this is how amazing the Focals are!
All the GS fellows that got a pair told me the same after their first mix!!!thumbsup
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

They are unreal. Its like I have some extra great piece of gear strapped across the 2buss when I mix with them. I get to actually use my ears and thats a beautiful thing.

I feel like every dollar I have ever spent on gear and every minute I have spent making recordings is finally paying off. That sounds extreme but its exactly how I feel.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

+1
Old 31st August 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexon View Post
They are unreal. Its like I have some extra great piece of gear strapped across the 2buss when I mix with them. I get to actually use my ears and thats a beautiful thing.

I feel like every dollar I have ever spent on gear and every minute I have spent making recordings is finally paying off. That sounds extreme but its exactly how I feel.
Hey reflexon - great post, sounds like the Twin 6's are on the way to being legendary.

I'm wondering if you miss having a sub with them - or if you have tried them with a sub and what were your observations with that? Is it necessary? Or just makes things worse?
Also makes me wonder, are Focal's subs as good as these? Haven't heard anyone post a review of them....

Cheers
Neal
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Welcome to the happy Focal Family.... I got mine on January and still on my honeymoon with them.....heh

Plus Simon from Focals has been great at any questions.
Old 31st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_G View Post
Hey reflexon - great post, sounds like the Twin 6's are on the way to being legendary.

I'm wondering if you miss having a sub with them - or if you have tried them with a sub and what were your observations with that? Is it necessary? Or just makes things worse?
Also makes me wonder, are Focal's subs as good as these? Haven't heard anyone post a review of them....

Cheers
Neal
What is amazing is that many guys after got the Focals they believe a sub is not necessary ....but of course is matter of taste and preference.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

The jury is still out on whether or not I need a sub with them. Either way, the twins are staying. If I never got a sub I would still be a happy camper.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've heard the Solo6 and A/B'd it against the following:

Klein + Hummel O 300D
Dynaudio BM12A, BM6A MkII and original
JBL LSR4328P

The Solo6 was beautiful and lush in the mid's. The vocals and orchestral strings almost sound like there's slightly wetter reverb due to the lushness. They do lack the lower octaves though--it was very apparent when compared to the monitors with larger drivers.
Old 13th September 2007
Yep! reverb tails are easy to identify in the Focals thumbsup
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique View Post
I've heard the Solo6 and A/B'd it against the following:

Klein + Hummel O 300D
Dynaudio BM12A, BM6A MkII and original
JBL LSR4328P

The Solo6 was beautiful and lush in the mid's. The vocals and orchestral strings almost sound like there's slightly wetter reverb due to the lushness. They do lack the lower octaves though--it was very apparent when compared to the monitors with larger drivers.
I think if you did that same comparison with the Focal Twins you would find less of a discrepancy in the lows.
Old 4th December 2007
Gear Maniac

focal sm6 twins rule. They reveal everything you ever need to know and leave you with no doubt about your mixes...
them plus my aurotones rok..
Old 4th December 2007
Gear nut

nice to hear. mine needed 2 weeks before i started to love them.

they should be used horizontal. they rock for rock. heh
Old 1st July 2008
Gear Head

Yeah, the engineer I work for is the most critically listening guy I know, tears me to shreds whenever I play him a mix that isn't great, when I saw him dancing around, laughing, playing every track he could get his hands on through them, audiophile orchestral, crappy garage, interpol, justice, acoustic folk, and not shutting up about them for WEEKS, I can't help but feel pretty excited by those Twin 6's. That left/right switching method is a nice touch, too.

Not too hard on the eyes, either.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search