The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fletcher Consoles
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Fletcher

I think I joined GS about a year ago. I'm pretty well full time in the "biz", or as full time as you can be nowadays. Anyways, on days off I would "visit" GS to see what's up gear wise for future home studio upgrades and I would come across some "Fletcher Feedback", you know what I'm talking about. So, my reaction would be who the **** is this guy? Why is he so bitter? Man!! Talk about attitude!! Then I'd think, man, I've been pretty fortunate and have met and worked with some "heavy hitters" in production, or artists or players and for the most part they're really cool without the attitude! Anyways to get to the point,today I called Mercenary just to get some info on a couple of products. The guy who answered said, "you know what, let me get someone who can answer your questions". You guessed it-Fletcher answered! Well, I always try to run my life with certain "rules", one of them being "life is full of surprises, especially when people are involved". What a cool, accomodating, and funny guy! He was really helpful, knowing up front that I wasn't buying today and even more, if I was to purchase today, the total sale wouldn't amount to much! We all have our good days and bad days and judging someone too quickly can "bite you back later!!" The same applies to Jim Williams. That's all--------peace?.....and more importantly....YMMV!!.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

ha ha... that is funny. Fletcher has a tendency to ruffle some feathers.

I've always found him to be helpful and entertaining. I take everything he says with a grain of salt (like I do anyone) but I've always found his advice to be very solid.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

oh, and I find Jim's advice and comments on all my favorite threads on here. he's really been a great help to me. He certainly knows his stuff, and he knows what he likes.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I believe alot of the "attitude" comes from the "text only" and no voice and or face to go with it.
It's easy to sound like a jerk or "attitude" on a forum.
This includes myself...
I have made a few comments on this forum I would have never said to someone face to face. Go figure...
Old 25th August 2007
I like people that are a bit "quirky". Most actually have something to say.
Haven't met Fletcher or Jim Williams in person, but both have provided invaluable information, on this board.

Sometimes ppl. can get a bit too eehm caught up in their own game.
Example: had a couple of artists/producers over here in the studio last night.
Just friendly stuff.. nice fish and fungi on the bbq, beers, show and tell new tunes, bit of technical stuff etc.
One of the guys, really talented, friendly soul, has a knack for pissing me off
he just goes too far. being irritating and disrespectful when that was totally uncalled for.
I almost ...
anyway, he's going to walk into a fist soon (not mine, I'm usually very controlled LOL)
nobody's perfect.

whiney rant over

thanks F and JW!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

For what it's worth, I have been reading Fletcher's posts for many years going back to the days on RAP. He's knows what he's talking about pretty much and his attitude is consistant, although he seems to have mellowed a tiny bit through the years. Should have heard his opinions on digital before the Radar showed up, sheesh.... YMMV
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Yeah, I enjoy the posts of both Fletcher and Jim Williams. I Like the idea that Mercenary does n't carry or pimp stuff that they think sucks. And I tried a few Jim Williams mods on a PM1000 strip. Holy ****, you would n't want to use these to record an orchestra, but they are monster rocknroll preamps.

Both of these guys are working against the apples vs oranges nausea which is just becoming too much. These guys keep GS colourful.

Cheers
Old 26th August 2007
Lets get back on track please..
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Guru

Seems to be a very smart man and knows what he's talking about, however his attitude
being for real or somewhat harsh does not sway me toward Mercenary.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Fletcher kicks ass thumbsup
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

My only direct experience

On R.A.P I asked if anyone knew where I could find some schematics for wiring my EMT remote.
Fletcher replied and sent me a big pile of docs relevant not just to the remote, but other stuff too (to Belgium mind) just like that. I am not a client of Mercenary and being in Belgium am less likely to be than many others.
What more can I say.

thumbsup
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search