The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Self-Promotion: World of Warcraft Trailer! Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Self-Promotion: World of Warcraft Trailer!

A little shameless self-promotion: I'm involved in this very cool film project. I'm the composer and sound designer for the trailer and theatrical feature.

Based on the hugely popular MMO (massively multiplayer online game) World of Warcraft, the film, when we're done, will be the first theatrical feature made using the "machinima" process: using the game itself to create the sets and actors.

I guess those years of playing Dungeons & Dragons weren't such a waste of time after all...

Thanks for taking a look!

Cheers
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

Smile It is going to be excellent!!!!

As a huge World of Warcraft fan and avid player, I can not wait for the film to come out. Do you have any idea when it will be released? You did a very good job on this. I hope it is a big hit. Go with honor, friend.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm going to try to keep this as positive as possible. I'm happy for you. I'm glad you're proud of something your involved in. I'm sure countless hours of attention and hard work went into this.

I don't intend personal criticism to you, or your value as a human being. Unfortunately, I can't resist making the following comment:

The whole concept of this movie is one of the most UNcreative things I've ever heard of in my entire life. No hyperbole here; I literally can't conceive of any idea that would be LESS creative. You guys are using a game that others created to recreate scenes from movies that others created? Surely, this is postmodernism gone too far.

I thought Warcraft itself was the bane of Human existence..... somehow, to me this is much much worse.

I haven't even mentioned that MMORPGs are for uncreative dorks who want to end their lives through relentless passivity anyway. I much prefer creative dorks with some passion for life.

You seem like a creative dork who is throwing that creativity into a blackhole. If you're not going to try to create something worthwhile and inspiring, then please, donate your time to a soup kitchen instead of to the promotion a multi-billion dollar mind-control syndicate.

I will now end this message with a half-dozen smilies to try to make up for publicly chastising you in an open forum:

Sorry Dude. Don't want to make enemies with a neighbor, but this whole concept has made me lose control of my mouth. That said, if the pay was good, I wouldn't turn down a gig mixing the soundtrack for a project I didn't believe in. I just wouldn't promote it! I guess I'm a bit of an audio wh*re.

Much Love,
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, Justin. Way to be pointlessly negative. Somebody is doing something they enjoy and you're just pissing on it for no reason? Okay, you don't like video games, and think that people who play them are un-creative, then you whole yourself up in a studio with a bunch of knobs and buttons all day and you're somehow different? What have you done for the benefit of humanity today? Do you think the Led Zeppelin & Blink-182 rip-off bands you record who need beat detective and auto-tune all over the place are somehow more creative? Lighten up, dude. Just because people choose to do something with their free time that you don't, doesn't make them "relentlessly passive," dorks, or contributors to the "bane of human existence." Guess what? You're an engineer. That means you're a dork too.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Wow, Justin. Way to be pointlessly negative. Somebody got a good gig, and you're just pissing on it for no reason? Okay, you don't like video games, and think that people who play them are un-creative, then you whole yourself up in a studio with a bunch of knobs and buttons all day and you're somehow different? What have you done for the benefit of humanity today? Do you think the Led Zeppelin & Blink-182 rip-off bands you record who need beat detective and auto-tune all over the place are somehow more creative? Lighten up, dude. Just because people choose to do something with their free time that you don't, doesn't make them "relentlessly passive," dorks, or contributors to the "bane of human existence." Guess what? You're an engineer. That means you're a dork too.
I do like dorks. I said so myself.... in the very post that you quoted.

I just don't like to see my dorky brethren get caught up in life-numbing online RPGs. They're pretty much as bad for you and as addictive as any illicit substance. It's a personal thing.

I don't blame the composer who got a good gig for the foibles of the misguided 'producers' of this picture. More power to him! Congrats! I hope you had fun!

However, If they ever ask for money for this 'fan art' it would truly be a crime. Both literally and figuratively. I assume it doesn't pay?

Sorry for sharing, but this project just rubs me the wrong way, and I was moved to words. It combines two things I have a strong distaste for: addictive, brain corroding MMORPGs, and uninspired, rote rehashing of scenes from other movies.

....but I'm sure the score will be awesome!
Quote:
Somebody got a good gig, and you're just pissing on it for no reason?
Again, congrats to the OP, but I did give my reasons. Very specifically, actually.
Quote:
What have you done for the benefit of humanity today?
I try to do a lil' something everyday. I don't have the ego to assume that anything I do will really make a difference, but it's worth a shot. Only an ass seeks justification by publicly discussing his deeds.
Quote:
Do you think the Led Zeppelin & Blink-182 rip-off bands you record who need beat detective and auto-tune all over the place are somehow more creative?
Luckily, I don't have to do too many of these. And thankfully, I've never had to work on anything that sounds remotely like Blink 182.

....Not to say that I wouldn't if the pay was right. I never espoused that basic engineering is a particularly 'creative' act in the artistic sense. So... I don't see the point of this argument. However, Music and Film ideally should be creative.

I argued that this 'film' is uncreative in the Literal sense. Nothing is actually being created, as a preexisting, and widely available program, is being manipulated and no new images are truly being created AND because all of the dialouge appears to be lifted from other films, and there is no effort to say anything new or interesting, or valuable, or surprising, or genuinely funny, etc.,

To sum it up:

1)Good luck!

2)I hope the score is great!

3)I have a personal grudge against Warcraft!

4)I have a personal grudge against 'parodies' that aren't actually satirical, but are rather rote repetition of familiar lines in another context!

4)That's my problem, not yours! Sorry you have to hear about it, but anyone whose opinion I would respect would agree with my basic thesis!

5)I'd be delighted to be proven otherwise!

6) I'm aware that this is supposed to be the good news channel and I'm being a giant poop-head! My apologies, this is not the right place to voice this opinion!

7)Yes, this is a lot of exclamation points!
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
I don't blame the composer who got a good gig for the foibles of the misguided 'producers' of this picture. More power to him! Congrats! I hope you had fun!

However, If they ever ask for money for this 'fan art' it would truly be a crime. Both literally and figuratively. I assume it doesn't pay?

Sorry for sharing, but this project just rubs me the wrong way, and I was moved to words. It combines two things I have a strong distaste for: addictive, brain corroding MMORPGs, and uninspired, rote rehashing of scenes from other movies.

....but I'm sure the score will be awesome!
LOL! No worries, I can handle public criticism. And I do understand your points. However, some clarification:

1. The feature will not be a play-by-play parody of other movies. It will be an original screenplay, in development now. It will certainly nod & wink at other movies, much the same way that Shaun of the Dead, Galaxy Quest, and The Princess Bride do, but it won't be an straight-up, unoriginal parody.

The trailer is misleading on that point, so I understand your reaction.

The trailer was more of a Proof of Concept project, than an actual preview of the feature, and also a marketing tool. And it's been successful on both those counts.

2. Oh no, it's a paying gig. No one takes on a project this big for love - we do it for love AND money!!!!

I did the score, sound design, and mix for the trailer, and would estimate I spent something like 75-100 hours on it, packed into 10 days or so.

3. Lots of people dislike role-playing games, both tabletop and online, so you're in good company. But just curious - have you ever played an online or tabletop (like D&D) RPG? I actually stay away from online stuff, for some of the reaons you cite: addictive, and endless time black-hole. There are no limits to how much of your life you can pour into them... bad stuff for someone like me.

But the face-to-face stuff like D&D is actually very self-limiting, once you're an adult (nominally an adult, I should say. )

4. From what I've seen of the production process, it actually took a great deal of skill, planning, and creativity to "shoot" the trailer. It was almost unbelievably difficult for the capture teams to get the shots right, as they were storyboarded.

It was not as simple as logging in, walking a character around, and capturing. There were costuming issues and designers; production assistants, armed and unarmed, to keep the "sets" clear of other players and monsters; and often the monsters they were trying to shoot would eat the "cameramen."

But anyways, I do understand your criticisms and appreciate the way you said them.

Cheers!

Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you become addicted to something and it corrodes your brain, then who's fault is that?

My wife and I just started playing it together. Instead of unwinding on opposite ends of the house, now we unwind together. We play it for two hours two nights a week after we put our son down. It's a great stress-reliever and it's actually helped our relationship grow! I've actually noticed us communicating more on the same page, and she's even getting better with math at her job!

My friend travels constantly for his work; He's probably home 3 months out of 12 out of the year on the road. His wife stays at home at their house all year round. Every night, he logs on to W.O.W. from his hotel room and they can spend time with each other and have fun together! World of Warcraft actually saved their relationship.

So, as you can see, it doesn't have to be a soul-sucking "bane of human existence..." unless of course you choose to make it that for yourself.

As far as this project goes, I can assure you that much effort has gone into it, and that there are creative minds behind it. The guys working for Blizzard actually have a great sense of humor, so I'm sure that'll echo thru the project. Keep us posted, wildstar!

I'm curious, Justin, do you like cover songs?

(P.S. Sorry for implying you record Blink-182 rip-off bands, I wouldn't wish that fate upon my worst enemy.)
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Jeez, it's really hard for me to do battle with a couple of even-tempered, good natured adults. You A**holes make this so hard!

Well, I must admit that I'm honestly surprised to hear stories of the game bringing people (and particularly couples) together, rather than forcing them apart. It's truly the first time I've heard of such a thing. My prior encounters with video game addicts have always suggested quite the opposite. However, what you're describing doesn't sound like addiction, but healthy responsible adult interaction... unfortunately it's through a machine, but what the hey!

To judge from my experience, conversations with others, and from what I've read on the ol' "internets" it would appear that a large portion of mmorpg players practice addictive, self-destructive play, and it seems the designers craft the games in such a way as to reward sheer accumulation of hours completing rote and repetitive tasks. Although many (but not all) adults can practice moderation, prioritization, delayed gratification and self-restraint, it's a rarer ability in younger people. (My god, I sound like Tipper Gore.)

You guys raise a good point: at rare best, I suppose the game could, in unusual cases, bring folks together... But at worst, it appears to be capable of bringing out or encouraging great darkness in people. I'm sure the folks at Blizzard really do intend to 'bring people together', but I find that on the web, intentions don't do very far: You could likely site rare cases where something like myspace has brought people closer together, but, a vast majority of the time, it's a digital way of keeping eachother at arms length.

(Sure I have my myspace page in my sig and I'm posting on a net forum. What can ya do?)

PS- Yes, I "played" AD&D in 5th and 6th grade. We never got much actual game playing done though. Like new gearslutz we talked about what we WOULD do if we ever got around to playing, and what would theoretically be cool to do if we just had an actual 100-sided die.

And, as with gear, I would never trash or praise anything I haven't tried. Although I'm not into video games aside from my old school nintendo, Once every few months I'll download the demo to a new game, and check out the state of graphics, sound and digital pop culture. I don't want to be an ignoramous! Warcraft is one of the most globally popular games in the universe. I demoed "wow" when they were doing that free ten-day a while back promotion. Hence I allow myself to freely criticize.

Thanks for tolerating my rant.

Best,
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Jeez, it's really hard for me to do battle with a couple of even-tempered, good natured adults. You A**holes make this so hard!
Hmmm... sounds like I've done a good impression of a person imitating an even-tempered, good natued adult!

Quote:
Well, I must admit that I'm honestly surprised to hear stories of the game bringing people (and particularly couples) together, rather than forcing them apart. It's truly the first time I've heard of such a thing.
Same here. I'm pretty amazed by that. Two of the people in my D&D group are a couple, and it's something they do together for fun. But I've never heard of anything like that with Wow. Cool.

Quote:
Thanks for tolerating my rant.
Ah, but any press is good press! I owe you one for bumping this back to the top a few times! thumbsup It maybe got one or two more hits for us... and every hit helps. LOL!

Cheers
Old 25th August 2007
Congrats!

unfortunately i'm a Starcraft fan myself - been waiting for new version longer than Logic 8!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear
Nice teaser you got there! Hopefully more MMO's than World of Warcraft will be incorporated? But at any rate, machinima is hard to get right, but can be amazingly well done (Red vs. Blue) so sweet gig, and good luck!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
Congrats!

unfortunately i'm a Starcraft fan myself - been waiting for new version longer than Logic 8!
LOL! I actually heard it's in the works, but I'm sure there's tons of rumors like that flying around.

Now Diablo III on the other hand...Logic 9 might be out by that time...

Although my wife and I and my friends I mentioned have handled WoW maturely and responsibly, I have definitely heard stories of it basically ruining people's lives. I think they actually named a disease for compulsive MMORPG players?

Then again, if that's what someone wants to do with their time and their life, who are we to say that it's wrong? If that's the way you want to live, that's fine with me. At least you're not in front of me on the highway in the fast lane going 45 MPH or in line at 7-11 counting change when I'm trying to pick up milk at 10pm.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

For all you MMORPG fans, you should give EVE online a run. It's free to download and you get a 14 day trial to get into it. Just be prepared to never want to log off.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search