The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great News, but I need advice too! Audio Interfaces
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Great News, but I need advice too!

Hi everybody. I guess I'll start off with the good news. I just started my junior year at college in a developing Music Industry program. I was recently appointed chief engineer of the whole school along with another guy! We are going to record all the projects for the Songwriting class (about 20 up from 5 last semester) and do a lot of live recordings of ensemble performances as well. We're using a Control 24 with HD2, and I'm super excited for all of the things that I know I am going to learn. It will teach me more than I could ever learn in any classroom.

Now to the help part. I currently have an Mbox 2 and a couple of cheap mics. I have been looking at trading in my Mbox for the discount on the 003 so that I can mix some stuff at home and not always have to go to the school. But also, the school has mediocre mics (Rode NT4, CAD e300, etc.). Should I use my money to buy better mics to record school stuff with and start my mic collection? Or should I go with my original idea with the 003 console and Music Production Kit? The Digi trade in is only until Dec 20, and I will have just enough money by then to buy the 003.

Thanks for the help!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

First of all, Digi always has some trade in program going. It has a term to it, but they will have another one. You can still trade in a D24 system, so the mbox will still be tradable.

Secondly, before you start figuring that the mics that the school has are crap, you should use them a bit more and try to do what you can with them. It's easy as a student (or a pro) to think that you need a lot of gear to attain a goal. It's simply not always true, and you might just be blowing a hole in your pocket.

Additionally, if you're chief engineer, see what their purchasing system is at the school for making new purchases. Perhaps they have a budget for upgrades, etc... If they have zero budget... then i'd be worried about your school. I have no clue what Berklee's budget was, but from what I've seen if you could convince Rob into it, then the MP&E department would get it.

Get people that want to start recording with you professionally, THEN drop money on a mic collection. Find somewhere locally to rent mics if you REALLY need something special for a project.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Congratulations. Unless you're mixing OTB at home and need more outs, what's wrong with using the MBox? I would spend the time at school using the HD, rather than upgrade the home set up. I definitely would suggest spending the money on mics, especially since you'll probably have them a lot longer than an 003 and it actually increases your value to the program if you bring the mics in for those sessions. Just .02
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Secondly, before you start figuring that the mics that the school has are crap, you should use them a bit more and try to do what you can with them.
I have done a good bit of work with them already. I was assistant engineer on a few projects last year. Also, I recorded an Honor's Recital with the NT4, and I really didn't like it. It clipped at the mic during the recording. I had the levels for everything going in almost too low, but somehow, it still managed to clip at certain frequencies. Maybe it is just a lose piece in the mic or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Additionally, if you're chief engineer, see what their purchasing system is at the school for making new purchases.
We are at the point right now where the school has not completely accepted the program yet. We finally got them to write the HD into the budget this past semester. For the most part, they budget the Music program as a whole and a huge chunk of that money goes to the marching band. Lots of politics and prejudice still to sort out!

Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if stuff like the Music Production Tool Kit is usually offered with trade-ins?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGT-1 View Post
Unless you're mixing OTB at home and need more outs, what's wrong with using the MBox?
I mostly wanted it for the control capabilities and the added plug-ins. And also, I wanted the Production tool kit since it came with Sound Replacer and stuff like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGT-1 View Post
it actually increases your value to the program if you bring the mics in for those sessions.
I never thought of it that way, but I guess it would! Thanks!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Talking

Does anybody else want to throw in an idea of what I should do?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search