The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New blog post and music released
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanX View Post
Hey John, I can´t believe you are around thanks so much for all your posts. I'm always fascinated with they way you guys work on the sides of the mix. There's an hypnotic quality on the way you use reverbs, delays and effects. The song Help is a perfect example, the movement on the synths and the layers of depth in the vocal are incredible. I was wondering if you have any tips to become better at understanding reverb.
Thanks John, and congratulations on the EP it's really amazing.
Thanks for that!

On Help any my other mixes, I really like to clear space in the center for the vocal. Help in particular I wanted the effect of the vocal almost dry, almost in your face, so you can understand the whisper quality. It is a passionate song that the singer might almost whisper in your ear.

And then in contrast I wanted the production to be dramatically huge and epic. So I really cleared the center. Almost everything except the lead vocal got some kind of stereo treatment, panning around, or movement.

As far as reverb specifically goes, in this particular song I didn't want them to be always noticeable in the vocals. There are actually several reverbs, delays, and a bit of chorus there but they are mostly wide and subtle.

As for tips; I think start by really understanding in your head what you want the reverb to do for you. Use a few reverbs for the song and send music and vocals to them; create the space for the song, not just for individual elements. Ride the reverb sends and the returns where necessary to maintain the illusion of space and effect for certain words and certain parts of the song.
Thanks so much for your answer and I hope you continue posting in GS.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

what's your go-to de-esser plugin, John?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear