The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Gearslutz Moment
Old 16th February 2020
Here for the gear

A Gearslutz Moment

Hey Guys,

I'm a newbie on these forums, and I hope I haven't posted in the wrong place, but I just experienced a total Gearslutz monent.

After carefully restoring a Yamaha PSS 480, a Biamp MR/140 reverb, and an Effectron II ADM 1024, and using a donated Behringer Eurorack MX 602A, I got an otherwise cheesy chord rhythm going with reverb and slap back echo that made it ring and sing.

Then I rocked out on top of it with my Strat running through a DOD compressor, a Boss DST2 distortion, an MXR reverb, all looped through a Boss DD-7. All through a cheap Fender Champ and a Park bass amp.

Bouncing between the guitar and the synth, I kept changing things up and making new sound patterns, all of which just totally got me going. I called a friend and had him listen in on my cell phone, and now he wants me to record it *properly*.

In many ways, this is all thanks to you guys. As I have been restoring the Yamaha and the rack units, I found invaluable advice on this and other sites about how to service this stuff, where to get manuals online, what membrane buttons are and how to fix them, and links to demos of what this equipment can do. All of which made me decide to keep going servicing what many thought was just "junk".

A lot of this equipment has been sitting here in my house gathering dust and doing nothing for the last 3 decades (excpet the Strat, she's my baby.) But I kept it all knowing one day I would make this happen, and it just did, my mind is blown.

Thanks to all of you guys, I love you.

Signed,
My Neighbors Are Scared.

P.S. There's a Korg Poly 800 on the bench waiting for a new CR2032 battery and a Hawk 800 kit.
Old 16th February 2020
Hi mrex! Welcome to Gearslutz

Many more moments to come : D

I used to have a Poly 800 MK2; epic synth especially loud. Helicopters, jets and Van Halen.
Best, Arthur
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear

Dude,

Just checked those links, they are *hot*
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrex View Post
Dude,

Just checked those links, they are *hot*
Thank you mrex - you have great taste : D

I made both tracks with people I met through Gearslutz.

Before finding Gearslutz I was kinda drifting aimlessly in terms of finishing music and getting to the heart of the gear; Gearslutz has been a real university for music production and I'm so grateful to the gifted pro's who have taken the time to share their knowledge and experience.

The sense of community and connection to real world audio events is great too. I've made the best of friends here.

Please let me know how you get on; love to hear your music when you're ready.

Best, Arthur
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi Arthur,

Just spent another night fooling with that Korg. Was thinking of you and thought I should reply. I will put up a gear page in the next week or so. And please forgive me if I write too much, I just turned 60 on Wednesay and I am now enjoying some Congac.

I feel like a pig in ****. I now have 2 classic synths hooked into a rack with a great old school delay and reverb. I can start arpeggiated chords on the yamaha and jam against that with the korg and my guitars. And I can play mids from my laptop and mess with the sounds live. I'm playing all kinds of kewl synth stuff I only dreamed of back in the day. Of couse I live in 1980s LED hell...

My thing is really understanding how these synths work. I'm a guitarist, not a piano player. They say that Guitarists were the first sythesists back in the 60s because we had pedals that had each circuit/effect in them. I could play with distortion, echo, chorus, phasing and flanging way before MIDI synths were available.

But after having played a Rogue Moog in 1978 I knew where this was going. I knew that synthesis was something I wanted to learn. Synthesis is complete control over how the final sound sounds.

I grew up in a family of vocal coaches, and my Dad was a renowned piano player in his day. We had 2 Steinway grand pianos when I was growing up, with Mom and Dad teaching 8 lessons a day on both of them. So even though I don't play piano, I've had a lot of time playing piano, and some basic training, and worked through some Chopin, Anna Magdelena Bach, and Beatles covers.

But as nice as those pianos sounded, they would always be pianos. With my pedals my guitar could be very differnt from just my guitar hooked up to a clean amp.

I had a great early introduction to synthesis when I bought and built a PAIA Gnome Analog Synth kit back in the late 70s. I know what a VCO, a VCF and a VCA are. This gave me a good grounding in basic synth concepts, and it has always paid off. When I was in an Oldies Band in the late 80s, my keyboard player lent me his DX7 so I could program a Hammond B3 patch, which I did. He loved it, although I thought it just wasn't that good. But I studied and learned basic FM synthesis on that DX7.

So now here I am with these old synths that I've restored, and I am having an excellent time. But I'm also focusing on continuing to learn how synthesis works, and how these different keyboards implement that.

After having spent some time working through the Korg, I think its muddy and not as versitile as the Casio or even (gasp) the Yamaha Portastudio. It took me at least an hour to get it back to a basic wave that was instant on, full sustain and then instant off with no modulation. Everything seems to make it more bass and cut off the high end.

But I had a great time doing it! I also spent the last day listening to Devo just so I could hear how they made their synths grind. And tomorrow it has to be the Pet Shop Boys.

Since I'm old, I have no shame any more. I'll put some youtube vids up soon...

Signed,
Boogie Boy
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

And I'm learning Acid?

Hi Again Arthur,

Here's a quick vid I did just playing with the synths after running through a tutorial on doing Acid on a PSS. Sorry for the bad timings, but I had yet another gearslutz moment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtV_...ature=youtu.be
Old 3 weeks ago
Hey mrex...great vibe...thanks for sharing that. My foot was tapping and head nodding. Love the bassline.

Thanks for your previous post; meant to reply sooner but busy. Happy Birthday* BTW. I can relate to a lot of your thoughts: late-ish 50's, grew up with a piano trying to emulate synths. Piano's 'f#ck with time' just like Tony Visconti's Eventide H910.

My friend was the only apprentice piano tuner in the UK in 1984; his grandfather was a fly-finisher (final polisher) for Chanel piano's and his brother restored pianos and piano furniture. They phoned one day and asked me to come to the workshop; when I arrived they had just finished restoring a Bechstein and wanted me to play it first. One of those magic moments near a piano!

It's great that all the desirable tech is now available and semi-affordable. I like the ITB stuff too but it does take more effort to use it for 'jams.' Beats and some form of echo/loop is a great start.

Gordon Reid's Synth Secrets series on the Sound-On-Sound website is a great guide to developing synth skills.

Speak soon.
Best, Arthur

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search