The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I was one of the originators of the Acid House Sound (funny story)
Old 16th November 2019
Talking I was one of the originators of the Acid House Sound (funny story)

It’s my first post in this sub-section, so I thought I’d post a funny story for y’all.

When I was 4 years old, in 1983, I got a chance to play with a Roland TB-303 and became one of the earliest pioneers of the Acid House sound. I was round my older brothers friends house and my brother’s friend was showing me his guitar, when he told me about his 303. He told me that it was a stand-in for a bass guitar and that he and his band used it for such purpose. He showed me what it did and asked me if I wanted to have a go. I said yes and he told me how to start and stop the pattern, but that was all he showed me. He said he’d be back in a while and left me there.

I sat cross-legged on the floor in front of this synth box, listening to the same pattern repeating over and over again. it got boring within about 2 minutes, so I just switched it off an waited for my bro’s friend to come back. When he didn’t reappear, I decided to figure out how to work it. I failed completely trying to change patterns, so instead sat there listening away. I got bored again, when it came to me that I should see what the knobs did. I started twiddling away, becoming quite manic about the sound i was producing. I turned every knob round and round, 2 at a time, marvelling at the result. I couldn’t get enough of the acidic squelchy bendy sound and thought how awesome it sounded. I literally spent about 30 minutes just turning knobs and loving what I was creating. I couldn’t stop laughing and giggling out loud.

Sometime later, my bro’s friend reappeared. When I told him what I was doing, he went MENTAL! I tried explaining how great the little silver box sounded and that I thought I had discovered something new and cool. He was not in the least bit interested and threw me out of his room! I couldn’t believe he didn’t want to listen. Such a shame, as I thought at that moment something magical had just happened, and then the moment passed.

Alas, my sound was never recorded and so my new form of music didn’t make it the wider world...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search