The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix Reference Reset Trick
Old 9th August 2019
Mix Reference Reset Trick

Thought I'd share something that helped give me perspective and eventually led me to (quickly) re-balancing the kick drum and bass in a rock mix.

After a session earlier in the week, I started down a rabbit hole about external clocks, looking into getting new converters, so I was poking around a mix that I considered nearly done and solo'ing tracks without plugins to really listen for how clear and realistic they were before processing with an ear to room resonances / mud as well. Kind of in a phase right now where I want to improve anything I can afford to (from a quieter A/C to snake to converters...).

I was listening to a mix that I considered done and wanted to take a step back--I always reference commercial recordings as well as other things either myself or the band has done to make sure everything is in the same ballpark. With this mix I didn't necessarily hear anything "wrong" but it was definitely dense and on the loud rock side of things and I was looking for warmth.

After listening with different tracks solo'd with and without FX, I created a new version of the project and disabled every plugin except the bus fx (pultec and ssl comp).

I rebuilt / adjusted the mix and use the bus eq to get it close to the presence of the original project then started a/b'ing them - this helped me discover that the mids and highs weren't why it sounded LOUD and rock-y but the punch in the lows was lacking a bit. Toggling between the two projects allowed me to add dynamics in the low region which I achieved with slightly changing eq and somewhat drastically changing compression settings.

Totally opened up the mix. Hope this helps someone out!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search