The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jaxsta - “Credits in a digital age” site now live!
Old 17th June 2019
  #1
Jaxsta - “Credits in a digital age” site now live!

Some have heard me mention this before, but my buddies who have started a new credits site, Jaxsta, are now live!

https://jaxsta.com/

The info on the site is critically different to sites like allmusic, discogs.com etc in that it pulls the credits from official label copy - all the majors are represented or being represented, and lots of indies too.

If credits are in error, you can report it and eventually not only will it get fixed on the site, but the label copy will be corrected too!

Eventually there’s the plan that engineers etc will be able to subscribe and manage their own pages, so when someone searches for who did a record, your profile page will be able to be found as you wish it to be seen.

And they’re very open to constructive feedback so check it out!
Old 28th August 2019
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Yep, really.

No I mix fully ITB. I track with hardware given the choice, but I don’t pull out the hybrid if someone sends me stuff to mix.
BTW Jaxsta sucks, it makes Allmusic look like they have their **** together. I wish someone would get this stuff right.
Old 28th August 2019
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
BTW Jaxsta sucks, it makes Allmusic look like they have their **** together. I wish someone would get this stuff right.
Jaxsta has been live for under a year - it’s still very much in beta. It pulls label copy from official sources, not reliant on a team of half literate volunteer monkeys.

It’s far from perfect - but it’s getting there. If there’s an error, report it to feedback and eventually it’ll actually get corrected with the label - try doing that with allmusic, I’ve never found them to correct a simple misread!

Where it currently falls down is minor label releases - so if most of your credits are obscure jazz labels or something, of course you’re going to be underrepresented. For me, Jaxsta has all my major label credits accurate to label copy, which is the point of it. Few of my allmusic or discogs content is in any way accurate, last time I checked allmusic didn’t even have the multi award winning album I co-produced 2 years ago on it!

BTW.
Old 29th August 2019
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Jaxsta has been live for under a year - it’s still very much in beta. It pulls label copy from official sources, not reliant on a team of half literate volunteer monkeys.

It’s far from perfect - but it’s getting there. If there’s an error, report it to feedback and eventually it’ll actually get corrected with the label - try doing that with allmusic, I’ve never found them to correct a simple misread!

Where it currently falls down is minor label releases - so if most of your credits are obscure jazz labels or something, of course you’re going to be underrepresented. For me, Jaxsta has all my major label credits accurate to label copy, which is the point of it. Few of my allmusic or discogs content is in any way accurate, last time I checked allmusic didn’t even have the multi award winning album I co-produced 2 years ago on it!

BTW.
They all suck, and on Jaxsta if you want look up your credits there isn't one list there's like 4 of them. How about one list not one for Engineer and one for Engineer and producer and another Engineer. You are totally right about them trying to fix something I sent them an email and they got back to me so I'll see if I can fix it, They also go by distribution so they should be able to get it right.
Old 30th August 2019
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
They all suck, and on Jaxsta if you want look up your credits there isn't one list there's like 4 of them. How about one list not one for Engineer and one for Engineer and producer and another Engineer. You are totally right about them trying to fix something I sent them an email and they got back to me so I'll see if I can fix it, They also go by distribution so they should be able to get it right.
Moved to relevant thread.

Yep, there’s improvements to be made - but a lot of the time, if there’s multiple lists, that’s because the label copy was a bit vague.

I reported the same thing actually - I have a couple of entries under my name, one is blank, one is one project, and the rest is my actual credits. So they’ll merge all of those.

I’m also having a meeting re the pro aspects of the service (some sort of alpha testing) which I won’t be able to speak about, but as I’ve said it’s improving all the time.

It’s a proper company - decent sized staff, partnerships with ARIA, the Grammys, all the majors, they’ve got presence at trade shows etc - it’s so far removed from the hobbyist nature of allmusic and discogs it’s a different world.

It may not be perfect now, but give it a year and let’s see if you’ve changed your tune!
Old 30th August 2019
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Moved to relevant thread.

Yep, there’s improvements to be made - but a lot of the time, if there’s multiple lists, that’s because the label copy was a bit vague.

I reported the same thing actually - I have a couple of entries under my name, one is blank, one is one project, and the rest is my actual credits. So they’ll merge all of those.

I’m also having a meeting re the pro aspects of the service (some sort of alpha testing) which I won’t be able to speak about, but as I’ve said it’s improving all the time.

It’s a proper company - decent sized staff, partnerships with ARIA, the Grammys, all the majors, they’ve got presence at trade shows etc - it’s so far removed from the hobbyist nature of allmusic and discogs it’s a different world.

It may not be perfect now, but give it a year and let’s see if you’ve changed your tune!
When I contacted them about my credits they got back to me and I sent them a list, so we'll see what happens with that, but the site is a mess, it should be more like when you search for someone, their credits come up in one place . The way it is now I searched for you and there's either 4 or 5 different pages, same with me, I had I think 4. Who's going to really take the time to go through all of that?
Old 31st August 2019
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
When I contacted them about my credits they got back to me and I sent them a list, so we'll see what happens with that, but the site is a mess, it should be more like when you search for someone, their credits come up in one place . The way it is now I searched for you and there's either 4 or 5 different pages, same with me, I had I think 4. Who's going to really take the time to go through all of that?
Well as I said - there’s a company behind it. There’s funding to pay for people to get it right. As physical becomes irrelevant, it’ll be a nightmare if no-one does this, and the labels are on board. As I said, I don’t know much about future plans and won’t be able to talk about them when I do, but I suggest you speak to them directly about your feedback and they’ll take it on board.

It’s such a world away from the adhoc amateurism of allmusic or discogs, well intentions as they might be. This is like any other tech startup, but just look at their newsfeeds/Instagram or whatever. Ever seen allmusic at an industry conference, let alone hosting sections of one?!
Old 1st September 2019
  #8
Do you know anything about this? I saw their booth last years AES in NY
https://soundcredit.com
Old 1st November 2019
  #9
Gear Nut
 

I just noticed Jaxsta for the first time when I saw them on the list of partners for the Recording Academy's #GiveCredit campaign. I've been hoping for a better, more accurate Allmusic or Discogs for years.... thought I'd check out Jaxsta. The first credit I searched (an album I worked on) had a lot of inaccurate credentials. This is a major label release for one of the biggest rock bands of this millennium. Went and looked at the CD booklet (yes, I still get CD's All the credits are correct. I did send an email to Jaxta and they replied fast... but in this day and age of photos online and text recognition, why don't they simply post the artwork that shows the credits the exact way the artist/art director intended???

Also, I will second the poor organization off how the credits are displayed... very tough to get the overall picture for a specific producer/mixer, etc.

Hopefully just the start to something that's much needed... but it does bring up the question as to why someone hasn't got this right yet... the mainstream mp3 (AAC) era is almost 20 years old.
Old 3rd November 2019
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeBase View Post
I just noticed Jaxsta for the first time when I saw them on the list of partners for the Recording Academy's #GiveCredit campaign. I've been hoping for a better, more accurate Allmusic or Discogs for years.... thought I'd check out Jaxsta. The first credit I searched (an album I worked on) had a lot of inaccurate credentials. This is a major label release for one of the biggest rock bands of this millennium. Went and looked at the CD booklet (yes, I still get CD's All the credits are correct. I did send an email to Jaxta and they replied fast... but in this day and age of photos online and text recognition, why don't they simply post the artwork that shows the credits the exact way the artist/art director intended???

Also, I will second the poor organization off how the credits are displayed... very tough to get the overall picture for a specific producer/mixer, etc.

Hopefully just the start to something that's much needed... but it does bring up the question as to why someone hasn't got this right yet... the mainstream mp3 (AAC) era is almost 20 years old.
The site setup will improve - it already has over several iterations, and there’s been significant user testing recently in anticipation of the launch of the pro service. I can’t say too much more since I’m under a no disclosure agreement but it’s exciting - and some things you’d never have considered. But as you mention, they ARE responsive, so it’s worth sending them feedback.

Regarding inaccurate credits - the credits are pulled from label copy. Maybe the option of digital artwork in addition where available is a good one - did you suggest it? But the idea is that it doesn’t rely on human data entry or checking, that it pulls direct from the label copy.

Which means if your album is inaccurate, then the original label copy is inaccurate. At least one major puts “studio personnel” under just about everyone’s name, which is a pain - again that will be revised - but it suggests said major album has inaccurate credits at the label, and the artwork wasn’t based on the same source!
Old 4th December 2019
  #11
The Jaxsta PRO feature is now live...check it out, and watch this space.

Some very cool features like being able to track chart performance of any song you've worked on across the world! As well as a great showcase for official credits.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump