The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jaxsta - “Credits in a digital age” site now live!
Old 17th June 2019
Jaxsta - “Credits in a digital age” site now live!

Some have heard me mention this before, but my buddies who have started a new credits site, Jaxsta, are now live!

https://jaxsta.com/

The info on the site is critically different to sites like allmusic, discogs.com etc in that it pulls the credits from official label copy - all the majors are represented or being represented, and lots of indies too.

If credits are in error, you can report it and eventually not only will it get fixed on the site, but the label copy will be corrected too!

Eventually there’s the plan that engineers etc will be able to subscribe and manage their own pages, so when someone searches for who did a record, your profile page will be able to be found as you wish it to be seen.

And they’re very open to constructive feedback so check it out!
Old 28th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Yep, really.

No I mix fully ITB. I track with hardware given the choice, but I don’t pull out the hybrid if someone sends me stuff to mix.
BTW Jaxsta sucks, it makes Allmusic look like they have their **** together. I wish someone would get this stuff right.
Old 28th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
BTW Jaxsta sucks, it makes Allmusic look like they have their **** together. I wish someone would get this stuff right.
Jaxsta has been live for under a year - it’s still very much in beta. It pulls label copy from official sources, not reliant on a team of half literate volunteer monkeys.

It’s far from perfect - but it’s getting there. If there’s an error, report it to feedback and eventually it’ll actually get corrected with the label - try doing that with allmusic, I’ve never found them to correct a simple misread!

Where it currently falls down is minor label releases - so if most of your credits are obscure jazz labels or something, of course you’re going to be underrepresented. For me, Jaxsta has all my major label credits accurate to label copy, which is the point of it. Few of my allmusic or discogs content is in any way accurate, last time I checked allmusic didn’t even have the multi award winning album I co-produced 2 years ago on it!

BTW.
Old 29th August 2019
Quote:
Jaxsta has been live for under a year - it’s still very much in beta. It pulls label copy from official sources, not reliant on a team of half literate volunteer monkeys.

It’s far from perfect - but it’s getting there. If there’s an error, report it to feedback and eventually it’ll actually get corrected with the label - try doing that with allmusic, I’ve never found them to correct a simple misread!

Where it currently falls down is minor label releases - so if most of your credits are obscure jazz labels or something, of course you’re going to be underrepresented. For me, Jaxsta has all my major label credits accurate to label copy, which is the point of it. Few of my allmusic or discogs content is in any way accurate, last time I checked allmusic didn’t even have the multi award winning album I co-produced 2 years ago on it!

BTW.
They all suck, and on Jaxsta if you want look up your credits there isn't one list there's like 4 of them. How about one list not one for Engineer and one for Engineer and producer and another Engineer. You are totally right about them trying to fix something I sent them an email and they got back to me so I'll see if I can fix it, They also go by distribution so they should be able to get it right.
Old 30th August 2019
Quote:
They all suck, and on Jaxsta if you want look up your credits there isn't one list there's like 4 of them. How about one list not one for Engineer and one for Engineer and producer and another Engineer. You are totally right about them trying to fix something I sent them an email and they got back to me so I'll see if I can fix it, They also go by distribution so they should be able to get it right.
Moved to relevant thread.

Yep, there’s improvements to be made - but a lot of the time, if there’s multiple lists, that’s because the label copy was a bit vague.

I reported the same thing actually - I have a couple of entries under my name, one is blank, one is one project, and the rest is my actual credits. So they’ll merge all of those.

I’m also having a meeting re the pro aspects of the service (some sort of alpha testing) which I won’t be able to speak about, but as I’ve said it’s improving all the time.

It’s a proper company - decent sized staff, partnerships with ARIA, the Grammys, all the majors, they’ve got presence at trade shows etc - it’s so far removed from the hobbyist nature of allmusic and discogs it’s a different world.

It may not be perfect now, but give it a year and let’s see if you’ve changed your tune!
Old 30th August 2019
Quote:
Moved to relevant thread.

Yep, there’s improvements to be made - but a lot of the time, if there’s multiple lists, that’s because the label copy was a bit vague.

I reported the same thing actually - I have a couple of entries under my name, one is blank, one is one project, and the rest is my actual credits. So they’ll merge all of those.

I’m also having a meeting re the pro aspects of the service (some sort of alpha testing) which I won’t be able to speak about, but as I’ve said it’s improving all the time.

It’s a proper company - decent sized staff, partnerships with ARIA, the Grammys, all the majors, they’ve got presence at trade shows etc - it’s so far removed from the hobbyist nature of allmusic and discogs it’s a different world.

It may not be perfect now, but give it a year and let’s see if you’ve changed your tune!
When I contacted them about my credits they got back to me and I sent them a list, so we'll see what happens with that, but the site is a mess, it should be more like when you search for someone, their credits come up in one place . The way it is now I searched for you and there's either 4 or 5 different pages, same with me, I had I think 4. Who's going to really take the time to go through all of that?
Old 31st August 2019
Quote:
When I contacted them about my credits they got back to me and I sent them a list, so we'll see what happens with that, but the site is a mess, it should be more like when you search for someone, their credits come up in one place . The way it is now I searched for you and there's either 4 or 5 different pages, same with me, I had I think 4. Who's going to really take the time to go through all of that?
Well as I said - there’s a company behind it. There’s funding to pay for people to get it right. As physical becomes irrelevant, it’ll be a nightmare if no-one does this, and the labels are on board. As I said, I don’t know much about future plans and won’t be able to talk about them when I do, but I suggest you speak to them directly about your feedback and they’ll take it on board.

It’s such a world away from the adhoc amateurism of allmusic or discogs, well intentions as they might be. This is like any other tech startup, but just look at their newsfeeds/Instagram or whatever. Ever seen allmusic at an industry conference, let alone hosting sections of one?!
Old 1st September 2019
Do you know anything about this? I saw their booth last years AES in NY
https://soundcredit.com
Old 1st November 2019
Gear Maniac

I just noticed Jaxsta for the first time when I saw them on the list of partners for the Recording Academy's #GiveCredit campaign. I've been hoping for a better, more accurate Allmusic or Discogs for years.... thought I'd check out Jaxsta. The first credit I searched (an album I worked on) had a lot of inaccurate credentials. This is a major label release for one of the biggest rock bands of this millennium. Went and looked at the CD booklet (yes, I still get CD's All the credits are correct. I did send an email to Jaxta and they replied fast... but in this day and age of photos online and text recognition, why don't they simply post the artwork that shows the credits the exact way the artist/art director intended???

Also, I will second the poor organization off how the credits are displayed... very tough to get the overall picture for a specific producer/mixer, etc.

Hopefully just the start to something that's much needed... but it does bring up the question as to why someone hasn't got this right yet... the mainstream mp3 (AAC) era is almost 20 years old.
Old 3rd November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeBase View Post
I just noticed Jaxsta for the first time when I saw them on the list of partners for the Recording Academy's #GiveCredit campaign. I've been hoping for a better, more accurate Allmusic or Discogs for years.... thought I'd check out Jaxsta. The first credit I searched (an album I worked on) had a lot of inaccurate credentials. This is a major label release for one of the biggest rock bands of this millennium. Went and looked at the CD booklet (yes, I still get CD's All the credits are correct. I did send an email to Jaxta and they replied fast... but in this day and age of photos online and text recognition, why don't they simply post the artwork that shows the credits the exact way the artist/art director intended???

Also, I will second the poor organization off how the credits are displayed... very tough to get the overall picture for a specific producer/mixer, etc.

Hopefully just the start to something that's much needed... but it does bring up the question as to why someone hasn't got this right yet... the mainstream mp3 (AAC) era is almost 20 years old.
The site setup will improve - it already has over several iterations, and there’s been significant user testing recently in anticipation of the launch of the pro service. I can’t say too much more since I’m under a no disclosure agreement but it’s exciting - and some things you’d never have considered. But as you mention, they ARE responsive, so it’s worth sending them feedback.

Regarding inaccurate credits - the credits are pulled from label copy. Maybe the option of digital artwork in addition where available is a good one - did you suggest it? But the idea is that it doesn’t rely on human data entry or checking, that it pulls direct from the label copy.

Which means if your album is inaccurate, then the original label copy is inaccurate. At least one major puts “studio personnel” under just about everyone’s name, which is a pain - again that will be revised - but it suggests said major album has inaccurate credits at the label, and the artwork wasn’t based on the same source!
Old 4th December 2019
The Jaxsta PRO feature is now live...check it out, and watch this space.

Some very cool features like being able to track chart performance of any song you've worked on across the world! As well as a great showcase for official credits.
Old 23rd April 2020
JAXSTA Pro is now free for EVERYONE til the end of the year!

https://jaxsta.com/register

Seriously worth getting involved everyone
Old 23rd April 2020
And it still sucks.
Old 24th April 2020
Quote:
And it still sucks.
Ha. I fully admit I’m biased, but I think it’s great - indie credits that are only a month or two old are coming up in my list. And you know that if it’s not correct on here, it’s not correct with the label.

I got an alert the other day telling me one of my productions had charted in some random European country...I’d never have known that otherwise

Discogs and allmusic, the only other options are what, 20years old now? And they’re STILL awful.

Even if you think this sucks - it’s had less than a year of sucking, and it’s improving all the time.

Allmusic/discogs have sucked for 20 years.

Just give it time. Give it a couple of years..and no one will be even considering allmusic as discogs a reference.
Old 24th April 2020
Quote:
Ha. I fully admit I’m biased, but I think it’s great - indie credits that are only a month or two old are coming up in my list. And you know that if it’s not correct on here, it’s not correct with the label.

I got an alert the other day telling me one of my productions had charted in some random European country...I’d never have known that otherwise

Discogs and allmusic, the only other options are what, 20years old now? And they’re STILL awful.

Even if you think this sucks - it’s had less than a year of sucking, and it’s improving all the time.

Allmusic/discogs have sucked for 20 years.

Just give it time. Give it a couple of years..and no one will be even considering allmusic as discogs a reference.
it's worse than both for me, I contacted them and gave them a list of my credits, all they have is the last record I produced and an album I played guitar on years ago. And your friends with them, of course they have your stuff right
Old 24th April 2020
Quote:
it's worse than both for me, I contacted them and gave them a list of my credits, all they have is the last record I produced and an album I played guitar on years ago. And your friends with them, of course they have your stuff right
That’s a silly thing to say. My credits are right because the label copy is right! I’m certainly no big consideration...I’ve not had to correct a thing for me. They probably don’t have EVERYTHING - but they have a lot more than either of the other two, and more importantly I’m credited correctly.

If you’ve got a lot of releases on smaller independents, it’ll take time to ingest them. If the releases are there but your credit is incorrect, the label doesn’t have the right credit, even if it’s printed right on the record sleeve. Because it’s a database ingest. If you’re being credited on any of the majors, or through an aggregator like CDbaby or similar...it’ll get there much quicker than any other database. Your average indie release is never going to make it to either of the others - unless you put it there yourself.

Regardless of your experience, I’d suggest everyone else take a good look and sign up for the pro account since a) it’s free, b) it’s only getting better and c) feedback from pro users is what will improve it!
Old 24th April 2020
Just to make the point - I had an album released TODAY - independently, via The Orchard. It’s already on Jaxsta - correctly, because Jaxsta ties into The Orchard’s database.
Old 24th April 2020
Quote:
That’s a silly thing to say. My credits are right because the label copy is right! I’m certainly no big consideration...I’ve not had to correct a thing for me. They probably don’t have EVERYTHING - but they have a lot more than either of the other two, and more importantly I’m credited correctly.

If you’ve got a lot of releases on smaller independents, it’ll take time to ingest them. If the releases are there but your credit is incorrect, the label doesn’t have the right credit, even if it’s printed right on the record sleeve. Because it’s a database ingest. If you’re being credited on any of the majors, or through an aggregator like CDbaby or similar...it’ll get there much quicker than any other database. Your average indie release is never going to make it to either of the others - unless you put it there yourself.

Regardless of your experience, I’d suggest everyone else take a good look and sign up for the pro account since a) it’s free, b) it’s only getting better and c) feedback from pro users is what will improve it!
You can think that, but if you don't think your friendship with these jaxsta people is a factor you have a level naivety I've never seen. I have major label credits most of them are pretty old but I still have them, a couple of Jennifer Lopez remixes, there are records out that have won Downbeat awards one last year and one the year before, that they don't have the credits for. I engineered a single that RIGHT NOW is #1 on the Billboard contemporary jazz charts for the second week, I produced and recorded an album for Earth Wind and Fire's label , no Jaxsta credit. I'm happy it's working for you, for me it's sucks and I will pursue it because it would be nice if my credits were correct somewhere, but I don't hold any hope for this crew.
Old 25th April 2020
Quote:
You can think that, but if you don't think your friendship with these jaxsta people is a factor you have a level naivety I've never seen. I have major label credits most of them are pretty old but I still have them, a couple of Jennifer Lopez remixes, there are records out that have won Downbeat awards one last year and one the year before, that they don't have the credits for. I engineered a single that RIGHT NOW is #1 on the Billboard contemporary jazz charts for the second week, I produced and recorded an album for Earth Wind and Fire's label , no Jaxsta credit. I'm happy it's working for you, for me it's sucks and I will pursue it because it would be nice if my credits were correct somewhere, but I don't hold any hope for this crew.
Lou - you’re just being silly now. The process is automated. Sure - if I had a personal complaint or request I could expect prompt answers, but my credits flow in like everyone else’s! I’m not naive - I know intimately how the process works. You’re just being a bit bitter...

They’re ingesting fresh content all the time, including legacy catalogue from majors. I don’t know who Earth Wind and Fire’s label is - if you’re referring to a personal indie or an imprint on a major. At any rate the aim is to ingest all of them.

My point remains - if it’s on Jaxsta, the credit will be correct according to label copy. If it’s incorrect, so is the label copy. If it’s not on there, then that’s a different issue. What is it for you - are the releases missing your name or are they just missing?

Regardless, constantly bagging them just cos they don’t have your credits isn’t that helpful...and accusations of effective nepotism just seems petty. They haven’t got ALL my credits either...just far more, and more correct, than anyone else!
Old 25th April 2020
Quote:
Lou - you’re just being silly now. The process is automated. Sure - if I had a personal complaint or request I could expect prompt answers, but my credits flow in like everyone else’s! I’m not naive - I know intimately how the process works. You’re just being a bit bitter...

They’re ingesting fresh content all the time, including legacy catalogue from majors. I don’t know who Earth Wind and Fire’s label is - if you’re referring to a personal indie or an imprint on a major. At any rate the aim is to ingest all of them.

My point remains - if it’s on Jaxsta, the credit will be correct according to label copy. If it’s incorrect, so is the label copy. If it’s not on there, then that’s a different issue. What is it for you - are the releases missing your name or are they just missing?

Regardless, constantly bagging them just cos they don’t have your credits isn’t that helpful...and accusations of effective nepotism just seems petty. They haven’t got ALL my credits either...just far more, and more correct, than anyone else!
right now there is exactly one credit for me as an engineer/ producer and one credit for a record I played on almost 10 years ago. I contacted them when you first introduced them, this is what they came up with. To be fair some of my major label credits would be hard to find like the Celine Dion remixes I did, they were white label vinyl, but some like Jennifer Lopez's "Feelin So Good" and "Let's Get Loud", the credit was printed on the record and the CD. But one CD and one other recording as a musican, which I also engineered ,mixed and produced.
Earth Wind and Fire's label was Kalimba Music they were originally distributed by the Orchard and later E-One Sure it was an independent with real distribution.

As far as being bitter that's plain ridiculous they are just the worst out of all of these credits sites, that's all. Hopefully they'll get better. I'm out of the major label world anyway these days so these "credits" or the lack of don't really affect my work, but it would be nice if someone was even reasonably correct.

Last edited by Musiclab; 25th April 2020 at 04:45 PM..
Old 26th April 2020
Quote:
right now there is exactly one credit for me as an engineer/ producer and one credit for a record I played on almost 10 years ago. I contacted them when you first introduced them, this is what they came up with. To be fair some of my major label credits would be hard to find like the Celine Dion remixes I did, they were white label vinyl, but some like Jennifer Lopez's "Feelin So Good" and "Let's Get Loud", the credit was printed on the record and the CD. But one CD and one other recording as a musican, which I also engineered ,mixed and produced.
Earth Wind and Fire's label was Kalimba Music they were originally distributed by the Orchard and later E-One Sure it was an independent with real distribution.
Wait a minute - isn't the whole point of a white label remix that it's generally unofficial, and therefore credits aren't exactly at the forefront?! Even if commissioned by the major, it's not going to go down in their archives with all personnel correct is it.

The J-Lo one I admit is a weirder omission - did you actually mix the single or a remix of the single? Again - it could well be down to the label's record keeping.

I know for a fact all The Orchard content is ingested (or in the process of being ingested) with JAXSTA, cos I know those guys well (they're based in my building here, and across the road from JAXSTA). I don't know the status of E-One. If the record is there but your credit is not, it'll be an issue with the label. If the record is not there, then it's not been ingested yet - possibly that distributor's catalogue has not been at all.

Quote:
As far as being bitter that's plain ridiculous they are just the worst out of all of these credits sites, that's all. Hopefully they'll get better. I'm out of the major label world anyway these days so these "credits" or the lack of don't really affect my work, but it would be nice if someone was even reasonably correct.
Well, that's kind of the thing. If it's on there, it IS correct. If the JAXSTA credit isn't correct, then the label copy isn't correct either.

And really - these days with credits slowly making their way onto Spotify, and physical going the way of the dodo - in a couple of years time, digital sites will be the only option - there won't BE a record sleeve to get them from.

For a laugh, I had a look at both Allmusic and Discogs, for you and I.

On Allmusic, you have 68 credits live, going back to 1996. The most recent is 2017.

I have a paltry 52, going back to 2003. Nothing more recent than 2018, in fact there's only 7 projects listed since I've been in Australia. Although it got my biggest record, I've had at least 3 additional top 10 albums I've either mixed or engineered in that time! Some months I have more than 7 projects released....huge numbers of credits on major label projects.

Discogs - you have 22 credits. 92 to 2018. Neither of these have the Celine Dion remixes btw.

I have a few more, 87, going up to this year - but nothing like my actual credits.

Oh, and I found your J-Lo credit on Jaxsta.

https://jaxsta.com/release/1386bc1c-...9d272/overview

It looks like there's some sort of issue that means it's not recognising it's the same person. The issue with person-based databases the world over I guess.

For me, JAXSTA has 168 individual releases (361 songs). That's still not everything..but it's a lot more than anyone else! And it's everything from indies to majors to assistant credits to production. They just don't have the stuff that's self released pre-dating Spotify/iTunes, or bands on now defunct labels. I'm pretty sure if it's online, it'll get there eventually.

And cos I've taken them up on the pro account, I'm able to showcase my favourites at the top of my profile, link to my website, spotify showreel etc.

I know you're still sceptical..but I think for most - especially in the current era of every indie band digitally releasing with CDBaby or whoever, and with the option to share producer/engineer details - it will easily be the most complete in a couple of years time for EVERYONE currently working.
Old 27th April 2020
Did you notice where I said it would be hard to find the Celine Dion remixes? I get that although I blame a lack of credit for those more on the "remixers I worked with, one was at Sony 550 at the time, yes they were all remixes and I think he could have done better with the credits, especially since My Heart Will Go On was the biggest song in the world at the time. Their name got on the white label. I think the version I remixed was even #1 in England back then, I still have the 2" 24 track slave reels here that Sony sent .

I did 3 Jennifer Lopez records, Feelin So Good Let's Get Loud, which All Music and Discogs got, and Waiting For Tonight also no one got , It's weird and dumb that you found the credit for Feelin So Good under J Lo and not under me on Jaxsta.I also did a Bit Naked remix for Atlantic , and a Mandy Moore, a Trina and Tamara, and an M2M all for Sony 550, those were not white label you could even buy them I think but I have the 12" here for Let's Get Loud and Waiting For Tonight and I'm credited on the record jacket. The album that was on Kalimba that was distributed by E One I do have a credit for on AllMusic, the album's called Ear Candy it had a Billboard Contemporary Jazz top 30 song on it, we took back the record last year and have a new distributor who does digital through the Orchard. My complaints are about omissions not incorrect credits. I did produce Shake It and record and it had 1 Billboard Contemporary Jazz top 15 and one top 30. It would be nice if someone got most of what I've done.

When I looked on Discogs I found records back in the 70's I was credited for, which is really ridiculous, I was in High School in 72.

So here's a funny dumb thing on my part, I have a link on my GS profile for my credits which was on my website I clicked on it only to realize I didn't put my discography page back when I re-did my website, so even I don't have it right. LOL. So I'll sign up for a pro membership on Jaxsta and see if I can't get it better.
Old 27th April 2020
Quote:
Did you notice where I said it would be hard to find the Celine Dion remixes? I get that although I blame a lack of credit for those more on the "remixers I worked with, one was at Sony 550 at the time, yes they were all remixes and I think he could have done better with the credits, especially since My Heart Will Go On was the biggest song in the world at the time. Their name got on the white label. I think the version I remixed was even #1 in England back then, I still have the 2" 24 track slave reels here that Sony sent .
No I saw that - but yeah, you can't expect any credit database to get things like that! JAXSTA's advantage is that if it's wrong, or missing, but the record is there, you know the fault is with the label - their copy is wrong.

Quote:
I did 3 Jennifer Lopez records, Feelin So Good Let's Get Loud, which All Music and Discogs got, and Waiting For Tonight also no one got , It's weird and dumb that you found the credit for Feelin So Good under J Lo and not under me on Jaxsta.
No, that's not what i said - I said Let's Get Loud was the one on JAXSTA, and you ARE credited - but for some reason your name (which to me at least, is pretty distinctive) isn't treated as the same person as your other credits.

I can't see any other J-Lo credit other than Let's Get Loud here:
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/lou-...807146/credits

Or here

https://www.discogs.com/artist/978557-Lou-Gimenez

Feelin' so good (and a number of remixes) appears on Jaxsta but I can't see a credit for you; likewise with waiting for tonight. Which means the label copy is not correct, if you worked on it and weren't credited.

Quote:
I also did a Bit Naked remix for Atlantic , and a Mandy Moore, a Trina and Tamara, and an M2M all for Sony 550, those were not white label you could even buy them I think but I have the 12" here for Let's Get Loud and Waiting For Tonight and I'm credited on the record jacket. The album that was on Kalimba that was distributed by E One I do have a credit for on AllMusic, the album's called Ear Candy it had a Billboard Contemporary Jazz top 30 song on it, we took back the record last year and have a new distributor who does digital through the Orchard. My complaints are about omissions not incorrect credits. I did produce Shake It and record and it had 1 Billboard Contemporary Jazz top 15 and one top 30. It would be nice if someone got most of what I've done.
Yep. But it does depend on how it's released. Discogs seems to be mainly volunteer fans entering credits - the advantage of that is that you do sometimes get obscure stuff. The disadvantage is that it's often poorly done, misspellings, and no real way of correcting anything. And no guarantee anything you've done will turn up there!

Quote:
When I looked on Discogs I found records back in the 70's I was credited for, which is really ridiculous, I was in High School in 72.
I can't see anything on that discogs page prior to 99, apart from one solitary record in 1990.

Quote:
So here's a funny dumb thing on my part, I have a link on my GS profile for my credits which was on my website I clicked on it only to realize I didn't put my discography page back when I re-did my website, so even I don't have it right. LOL. So I'll sign up for a pro membership on Jaxsta and see if I can't get it better.
Well, if nothing else I've convinced you to give it a go! Seriously though, get the profile, find that J-lo song I referenced and get it merged into your main profile...it’s a start!

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 30th April 2020 at 06:26 AM..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear