The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New YouTube Channel - PlugMEin
Old 16th December 2018
  #31
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

New Video is up "What Is Mixing".

Next Video going up at 9:30pm AZ time, so just a few mins away.
That is called "How To Get Lower CPU Usage While Using Waves Heavy CPU Plugins"

I hope you guys like it.

I have a 3rd video coming out tonight as well called "Starting With The Master Bus". Giving you an idea of how I start using plugins on the Mix Bus when I'm mixing.

Also, in the "How To Get Lower CPU Usage While Using Waves Heavy CPU Plugins", There are some songs used that I Produced and Mixed and the one at the end was Mixed by me and Mastered by Big Bass Brain Gardner. It's a group called "3". Let me know what'cha think.

Link below...

Thanks as always, Marc
Old 16th December 2018
  #32
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
Hey Marc. Glad to see your making videos. One of my favorite posters.
Old 16th December 2018
  #33
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Hey Marc. Glad to see your making videos. One of my favorite posters.
Thanks man, I really appreciate the kind words...
Old 16th December 2018
  #34
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Hey what's guys. Here is a new video and how I approach the Mix/Master Bus.

Let me know what'cha think... It will post at 11 am Dec 16th 2018.

Episode 2: Starting with the Master Bus

YouTube

Marc
Old 17th December 2018
  #35
Gear Maniac
 

Enjoyed the latest video. One thing that I tend to not do is level after adding compression/saturation or often forget to do it. What about eq boost/cuts do you level as well?
Old 17th December 2018
  #36
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
Marc. Again, great videos and tips.The dummy track to separate the sections, great!! Stole that. Love the tip with Patchwork. Also, never thought to use the distressor the way you used it. Atm, I'm using lots of hardware but your method still applies. For some reason, never thought to drive each piece and see what different tones I can get out of it, software or hardware. I have a lot of work to do now
Good job bro
Old 17th December 2018
  #37
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigdagod View Post
Enjoyed the latest video. One thing that I tend to not do is level after adding compression/saturation or often forget to do it. What about eq boost/cuts do you level as well?
I always EQ into compression. I do make sure I hit the plugin still with -12db area of level throughout.
I hope that helps...

Marc
Old 17th December 2018
  #38
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Marc. Again, great videos and tips.The dummy track to separate the sections, great!! Stole that. Love the tip with Patchwork. Also, never thought to use the distressor the way you used it. Atm, I'm using lots of hardware but your method still applies. For some reason, never thought to drive each piece and see what different tones I can get out of it, software or hardware. I have a lot of work to do now
Good job bro
E-are, thanks so much man. Steal it all man. That's why I'm posting it. I've learned so much and the fact I'm teaching my son all the tricks of the trade, he was Dad, you need to do a YouTube channel. A lot of time, I talk over his head but I know you guys get it.
I didn't want to make a "This is how you record" or "This is the basics of this plugin". There are enough of those sites. I wanted to do a YouTube channel to share the knowledge and hopefully get some back. That's why I come on here.
Me going from hardware to software was a very hard process but once I got it or somewhat got it as I'm always learning something, I got down certain workflows and kept editing them down to make everything easier for me. The "Divider" is something I came up with because sessions were get to big and I was getting lost and it was causing me to waist time. I figured people would like that. I've never seen anyone do it one a video before so I figured I'd share as that's a good one and original.

I appreciate the love, I really do. Working on the Top EQ's right now. This one should be good.

Thanks everyone again, Marc
Old 17th December 2018
  #39
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I always EQ into compression. I do make sure I hit the plugin still with -12db area of level throughout.
I hope that helps...

Marc
Got! Thanks!
Old 17th December 2018
  #40
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
The "Divider" is something I came up with because sessions were get to big and I was getting lost and it was causing me to waist time. I figured people would like that. I've never seen anyone do it one a video before so I figured I'd share as that's a good one and original.
After watching that video I updated my template with dividers as well. That was really helpful. I also created the 2 busses before the master.
Old 17th December 2018
  #41
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigdagod View Post
Do you use UAD plugins as well? I'd like to hear your take on those as well if you do

Great job!
I use LOTS of uad plugs and since watching Marc's videos, I've been going through my uad plugs and checking which ones has modeled saturation. Quite a few so far do and is really good. The fatso and API 2500 are 2 that are damn good. Surprisingly good.
Old 17th December 2018
  #42
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigdagod View Post
After watching that video I updated my template with dividers as well. That was really helpful. I also created the 2 busses before the master.
This is great to hear. I love it. Please don’t forget to add new things or ways you guys like to work as you maybe surprise how many people would like to know. I’ve been using Pro Tools this way for years. Just never thought to mention it. Lol
Old 17th December 2018
  #43
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
I use LOTS of uad plugs and since watching Marc's videos, I've been going through my uad plugs and checking which ones has modeled saturation. Quite a few so far do and is really good. The fatso and API 2500 are 2 that are damn good. Surprisingly good.
I’m so glad I sparked some interest. Yeah, you will be surprised by how many great plugins have saturation. After I release the Top 5 EQ plugins, I’ll be doing a video on Top 5 Saturation plugins.

I wish someone made an Fatso plugin other than UAD. Hopefully Slate will have one coming out.
Old 20th December 2018
  #44
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Top 5 EQ's video will be up in 30 mins... Hope ya like it. Short and sweet.

I appreciate it everyone!

Marc
Old 24th December 2018
  #45
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

New Video in an hour and 30 mins... Check it out.
Sound of the 50's. 50's style hardware modeled plugins and their sound.

Thanks, Marc
Old 27th December 2018
  #46
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
Good deal Marc. Gonna check it.
Old 2nd January 2019
  #47
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Hey Everyone, new video coming at 5:30pm. Rate and & Review.
I will be breaking down how I rate and review plugins and also reviewing and rating the BX-Masterdesk.

Check it out...Thanks, Marc

YouTube

Last edited by M2E; 2nd January 2019 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: new YouTube link
Old 2nd January 2019
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Nice one , i didn t paid that much attention to the masterdesk ....will try it now
Old 2nd January 2019
  #49
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Nice one , i didn t paid that much attention to the masterdesk ....will try it now
Yeah Jeezo, I use it on every mix now. So good. I don't do a lot on it. Has a very nice EQ and nice slight compression. The M/S is what's key on this. For some reason, to me, it's better on this then the BX_V3 EQ. Not sure why but I really like it.
I have a slow 2009 4 core cpu so, if you have a faster/newer cpu, you should be great using this.

Thanks again, Marc
Old 2nd January 2019
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Yeah Jeezo, I use it on every mix now. So good. I don't do a lot on it. Has a very nice EQ and nice slight compression. The M/S is what's key on this. For some reason, to me, it's better on this then the BX_V3 EQ. Not sure why but I really like it.
I have a slow 2009 4 core cpu so, if you have a faster/newer cpu, you should be great using this.

Thanks again, Marc
I will give it a try , but i like the tg and lursen for fast delivery of banging tracks for clients or a simple chain ...

I also watched the video where you start a mix in vmr ... very interresting , i do the exact opposit , basically i m trying to be the most transparent on master from start and then at the end , i compensate on busses or master what i couldnt handled during mixing (volontarly or not )
Choosing a color and comp from start could be a good experimenting .
That said i kinda do it in the tracks by going like :" ok , today api , 70 sound , few transients , smooth " ect and i limit myself to a certain plugin palette ...( will do a vids on it when time allows )

By the way i m beta testing your next master beast !!! Just a pure beauty ....

Keep the videos coming Marc and don t cut those facepalms lol ....love it ...
Old 3rd January 2019
  #51
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
I will give it a try , but i like the tg and lursen for fast delivery of banging tracks for clients or a simple chain ...

I also watched the video where you start a mix in vmr ... very interresting , i do the exact opposit , basically i m trying to be the most transparent on master from start and then at the end , i compensate on busses or master what i couldnt handled during mixing (volontarly or not )
Choosing a color and comp from start could be a good experimenting .
That said i kinda do it in the tracks by going like :" ok , today api , 70 sound , few transients , smooth " ect and i limit myself to a certain plugin palette ...( will do a vids on it when time allows )

By the way i m beta testing your next master beast !!! Just a pure beauty ....

Keep the videos coming Marc and don t cut those facepalms lol ....love it ...
Yeah, I use to work like you're working for years. Get everything sounding good on each track then add the goodies on the master but doing it that way, I always found myself chasing my tail and after 100+ plugins on the tracks/busses/master, working with the Master first and getting it there at least 30% to 40% in the beginning, I found myself using a lot less plugins and getting the mix done a whole lot faster.
Mixing on a console is kind of the same really. It's already adding that console saturation weather you know it or not, which helps with decisions.
We use to (Analog Days) mix on the console then turn on the SSL Bus Compressor on the console last then add/patch in the Massenberg 8200 to add back the low end and high end that was missing then send it to the mastering engineer to do his thing. Now, that's wouldn't work now-a-days but, the work flow is still the same or the mindset just starting with Master first and mixing through the console. I'll probably do something different next year. LOL

What do you think of the plugin?

Thanks, Marc
Old 3rd January 2019
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Yeah, I use to work like you're working for years. Get everything sounding good on each track then add the goodies on the master but doing it that way, I always found myself chasing my tail and after 100+ plugins on the tracks/busses/master, working with the Master first and getting it there at least 30% to 40% in the beginning, I found myself using a lot less plugins and getting the mix done a whole lot faster.
Mixing on a console is kind of the same really. It's already adding that console saturation weather you know it or not, which helps with decisions.
We use to (Analog Days) mix on the console then turn on the SSL Bus Compressor on the console last then add/patch in the Massenberg 8200 to add back the low end and high end that was missing then send it to the mastering engineer to do his thing. Now, that's wouldn't work now-a-days but, the work flow is still the same or the mindset just starting with Master first and mixing through the console. I'll probably do something different next year. LOL

What do you think of the plugin?

Thanks, Marc
Yep i agree partially , the problem is the level of sonic impact it has from start and for whatever reason you need to tweak your master take of something , sometme the impact is so big that you have to go back on tracks to compensate ...

I remeber back in the early 90 , made a track in one studio , then we mixed it on a ssl 4000 in another studo and i never been able to get my kick to sound the same , i said to the mixing ingeneer "hey what the f happenned to my kick" he said"nothing !! " , i sad "it's not the same !!" he sad "look everything is at nominal" (eq's comp ect)

So yep , it can be very effective but also dangerous if not used with "conscience" , my take on is t depends to :

A) level of the mxing guy

B) Do you have full control other the tracks and versions

C) Are you the producer or just mixing for clients

Again it all depend of the subtility and the ind of bus process , if for exemple the masterng engneer says "hey kid , take of or bac of your compressor " depending on how hard he mixed "in it" will messed up the whole balance


Talkiing about the masterdesk : mixed feeling .///clearly something made by roc n roll guyz , the low end area is meh , the concept not new and what it does can be done better f you need really controls , if you want something fast , this can do it , so other plugins does and if you want to take t deep , it lacks where others don't (TG abbeyroad comes in mind for exemple)
Old 7th January 2019
  #53
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Yep i agree partially , the problem is the level of sonic impact it has from start and for whatever reason you need to tweak your master take of something , sometme the impact is so big that you have to go back on tracks to compensate ...

I remeber back in the early 90 , made a track in one studio , then we mixed it on a ssl 4000 in another studo and i never been able to get my kick to sound the same , i said to the mixing ingeneer "hey what the f happenned to my kick" he said"nothing !! " , i sad "it's not the same !!" he sad "look everything is at nominal" (eq's comp ect)

So yep , it can be very effective but also dangerous if not used with "conscience" , my take on is t depends to :

A) level of the mxing guy

B) Do you have full control other the tracks and versions

C) Are you the producer or just mixing for clients

Again it all depend of the subtility and the ind of bus process , if for exemple the masterng engneer says "hey kid , take of or bac of your compressor " depending on how hard he mixed "in it" will messed up the whole balance


Talkiing about the masterdesk : mixed feeling .///clearly something made by roc n roll guyz , the low end area is meh , the concept not new and what it does can be done better f you need really controls , if you want something fast , this can do it , so other plugins does and if you want to take t deep , it lacks where others don't (TG abbeyroad comes in mind for exemple)
Yeah, I just got the Waves TG Mastering CS but can't use it in my mix setup. I got it more for ruff track mixes as I use Big Bass Gardner for my mastering engineer. I don't want to try to master anything.
The Masterdesk for me work quick. I tried the IK version, and really didn't like it. Something about it didn't turn me on to want to use it. I felt it was more limited then the Masterdesk. Maybe I'll give it another try another time.

I don't just use the Masterdesk, I do use other things with it ala VMR, BX Digital EQ, IK 432, Boz The Wall etc.... More or less, it took the place of the Blackbox HG-2 unit for me. I got back and forth between those 2.

Anyway, I'm sure something else will come out this year that will get me interested in something else. LOL Anyways happens.

Good Times... Marc
Old 7th January 2019
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Yeah, I just got the Waves TG Mastering CS but can't use it in my mix setup. I got it more for ruff track mixes as I use Big Bass Gardner for my mastering engineer. I don't want to try to master anything.
The Masterdesk for me work quick. I tried the IK version, and really didn't like it. Something about it didn't turn me on to want to use it. I felt it was more limited then the Masterdesk. Maybe I'll give it another try another time.

I don't just use the Masterdesk, I do use other things with it ala VMR, BX Digital EQ, IK 432, Boz The Wall etc.... More or less, it took the place of the Blackbox HG-2 unit for me. I got back and forth between those 2.

Anyway, I'm sure something else will come out this year that will get me interested in something else. LOL Anyways happens.

Good Times... Marc
Yep same here , for ruff tracks , on my major release we used to send stuff to tom coyne , but for my own project (last one ) i might master it myself ... i m good on other poeple stuff , but on my stuff , i love another person perspectiv , so i will see .... anyway i have a chain that is doijg wonders with pro q / saturation / townhouse /limiter ....

Or the lurseen it is limited for sure , it also let s you stay in safe areas at the same time .... the tg , is a great one , specillay like he input section that everybody miss the power imho giving the videos i saw .... i might do one on this but it has been cover hundreds of time (like every waves release) ... for the masterdesk , i m waiting for the pro version to see ...
Old 10th January 2019
  #55
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

New Video up at 7:30am AZ Time today.

Waves Scheps73 Tip and Trick.

How you guys like this one. Been doing this since I've owned the plugin and have mentioned this tip on here before but figured I'd show you how to do it sense I've never seen anyone talk about how great this tip is.

YouTube

Please let me know what'cha think and also, what would you like to see or how you think I can make the channel better?

Do you like the short intros? Or the music with people dancing in the beginning?

Do you care about hearing the plugins with audio or nah?

Which Episode stands out to you and you would like to see more of?

Do you care about the history of hardware units or history of audio etc?

These are things that would help me understand what you guys would like to know more about.

Thanks everyone, Marc
Old 12th January 2019
  #56
Gear Maniac
 

That was nice! I like tips like that! I'm going to have to try this with my UAD Neve 1073.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
benherron.rrr / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
0
ACHISWELL / Post your electronic music here
0
tun / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
0
emkay / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump