The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MBHO Service - Incredible Condenser Microphones
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

MBHO Service - Incredible

I have two MBHO 603 handles and several capsulas, some in pairs, some single. Although these mics certainly aren't for all situations, they nevertheless shine in some others. (E.G. the single diaphragm figure eight in pair with another as Mid-Side pair).
Recently my single hypercardioid capsula developed an excessive hiss (other capsulas with the same handle didn't!)

I contacted Mr Haun and was asked to send in the combo. One week later I'm holding the repaired mic (no hiss!) and it cost me just the shipping to them, not even shipping back!

What a rare and amazing understanding of the word "service"!
BTW that is already my second experience of this kind with Mr. Haun.

Just marvelous!
Old 23rd September 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojaros View Post
Although these mics certainly aren't for all situations, they nevertheless shine in some othersy
As one cannot find much opinions on MBHO 603/604 line, can you please elaborate more on what are the advantages and limitations of these?

I'm looking for a pair of neutral SDCs (cheaper then Schoeps) just now. I need to cover close miking of ac. guitars and distant classical recording. I think about having 200N (close guitar) and 300N (distant classical).

Thanks a lot.
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear

In my experience the MBHOs are slightly on the bright side and may or may not be suitable depending on the source. E.g. recording classical guitar or even more so, lute, can be difficult depending on the tone production of the player. If they sound bright in first place, the result with the MBHOs could be too bright, Especially the lute profits a lot from very neutrally sounding (maybe even what one could call 'boring') mics.

Still I quite like the MBHOs.
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

This thread made me take out my 648/200 combo again and set it up as mono F.O.K.
Perfect!
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Might be a stupid question, but what is mono F.O.K. ?
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Might be a stupid question, but what is mono F.O.K. ?
Front Of Kit
"Looking" at the drums from about 1.5 metres distance, roughly racktom height, in line with the snare and kick and aimed down towards the snare.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
In my experience the MBHOs are slightly on the bright side and may or may not be suitable depending on the source. E.g. recording classical guitar or even more so, lute, can be difficult depending on the tone production of the player. If they sound bright in first place, the result with the MBHOs could be too bright, Especially the lute profits a lot from very neutrally sounding (maybe even what one could call 'boring') mics.

Still I quite like the MBHOs.
Depends. The KA500 is extremely flat and the 200 is not that bad either, I wouldn't call the 500 bright and the 200 is definitely flatter than what we mean today by "bright". But they're not measurement mics - neither are KM184s for instance. If you have the budget for Schoeps and DPA, great... if not... MBHO is an option, and I have customers who use MBHO 600 range combos on classical, but capsule selection is critical.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

I agree.
How would you select MBHO capsulas?
I bought the Figure 8 from No Hype Audio and I'm very pleased with the results, but how would I select?
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

First you can check the frequency graphs, that will give you an idea of the overall behaviour of the mic. If you need linearity, forget about large peaks in the HF of weird midrange bumps... unless your mics are really far from the source, then some HF lift is useful. Then ask around for more specific opinions and keep in mind the proximity effect of the various capsules: most with pure fig-8, none with pure omnis, Cardioid being somewhere in the middle. In the case of MBHO, the KA200 and 500 are the flattest but will have some proximity effect which might require some correction in Post. The 800 is voiced with its inherent proximity effect boost in mind, so at a distance there's an audible LF roll off (which cacn also be corrected in Post with careful EQ). Both 100's are bright an open, the KA100D being definitely best for distant pickup or in situations where the source if off axis and the on axis signal can be captured brighter than in real life with no impact (ie. hung mics looking down in an empty hall with the stage at 45°).
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

OK, so this is not about selecting individual capsulas among a larger sample of the same model but rather selecting the right model for the purpose. Well yes, that's true for sure! I was curious how I would find the best, lets say, hypercardioid capsula among a sample of hypcard

How big is the variance of MBHO capsulas of the same model in your experience?
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Oh, that's what you meant. As a dealer, I screen capsules, otherwise they can vary quite a bit. I order them in matched pairs from the factory, it helps. Ordering single capsules can result in significant differences causing issues for stereo recording, but if ordered as matched, I'm typically happy with the consistency. I have to say that MBHO got better this year and I seldom have to send back capsules now, but if I end up with singles in stock I usually have to send back to get matched pairs again as singles can still vary especially is bought months apart. Small variations exist but I'm not sure they would justify going through a handful to cherry pick.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search