The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Led Zeppelin to tour again
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

Led Zeppelin to tour again

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2002471692,00.html

By THOMAS WHITAKER
Showbiz Reporter

LEGENDARY rockers Led Zeppelin are set to re-group after 22 years for a money-spinning stadium tour of America.

The three surviving members — singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones — plan to hit the road next summer.

The trio hope to pocket £6.4million for the shows.

Robert, 54, Jimmy, 58, and 56-year-old John Paul met two weeks ago at the offices of their management firm Trinifold.

--

But how can there ever really be a Led Zeppelin without John Bonham?
Old 24th January 2007
Village Idiot

In this case, Ill make due with what theyve got.

Is nice!

Gustav
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

I am in 100% agreement that they should not do an album without John Bonham because I don't think anybody can write and record drums like he did EVER!!!!...but that guy they had on the Page/Plant tour did a pretty good job of playing JB's lines close to the studio original. I know I was impressed. Please God make them have the sense not to take Jason Bonham out on the road with them. He may be an OK drummer, but he does not do a good job of his dad's style IMO. I am always amazed going back and listening to Led Zeppelin and the drum lines he would throw down, I would have never in a million years thought to play it that way. He will always be missed...
Cameron
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

not to mention plant can't sing like he used to and page isn't quite the innovator that he once was. hate to be pessimistic, as zeppelin was one of my favs, but i can't imagine being excited by the "over the hills and far away" gang. wouldn't blame them as far as the money is concerned though.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info Rob.

Wow this wouldn't suck. It could, but I don't think all involved would allow it to.

I will be there. Better start saving my ticket money now.

Todd
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

i'll go see it first, and then i'll have an opinion... but i did like the page/plant unplugged tour... they still kick serious *ss... and i am a big fan of john paul jones... it can't be that bad really...
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I suddenly got this visual of a Tyrannosaurus Rex using a walker.

Seriously, JPJ has always been underrated. Great key and bass player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Yes, I agree.

But, I would hate to be the drummer trying to fill Bonham's shoes.
Just make sure you yak on them first.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
i'll go see it first, and then i'll have an opinion... but i did like the page/plant unplugged tour... they still kick serious *ss... and i am a big fan of john paul jones... it can't be that bad really...
i agree i saw the plugged no quarter? jpj was missed
Old 25th January 2007
Quote:

Robert, 54, Jimmy, 58, and 56-year-old John Paul

Looks like the news fibbed on their age a bit...Plant is 58 this year, and Page just turned 63 (not that it matters, I'll be there to see them hobble out on stage, I just wish Page would wear his wizard suit LOL).
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Looks like the news fibbed on their age a bit...Plant is 58 this year, and Page just turned 63 (not that it matters, I'll be there to see them hobble out on stage, I just wish Page would wear his wizard suit LOL).
Thank you. I was just going to say, they were famous when I was 17 and I know that Plant isn't the same age as me. I want their press agent though, maybe he can shave some years off for me.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post

one of my Fav Bass players
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

though i know that it will not in any way be like their shows were before, i am way excited for this since im too young to have seen them before.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I
t
well there was hard competition in the band... but all 4 were complete geniuses... of course the bass player is always overlooked even with the importance the bass has in music (both rhythm and harmony)

JPJ is great... and he was a very important part of the zep sound... i get goosebumps listening to "no quarter","ramble on" or the amazing bass/keys he plays on "the song remains the same" live record...

i also really like a song "fourteen black paintings" he did with peter gabriel on the US record.. great pads and textures (i even think i hear a mandolin on it)

you know i've been listening to zep for almost 30 years of my life and i still listen to all the records and never got tired of them... truly a remarkable band. i hope they come to brazil with this tour. (they have toured here twice in the past few years, jimmy page has even founded an ngo to teach music to the poor kids in the state of bahia.. so he's always down here)
Old 25th January 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

I hope they get Zakk Starkey on the kit. He rocked with the Who.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Nut

Long time ago bought Zep tickets only to have Jimi break his hand and CANCELL SHOW..(miami aprox 1977??) Been a long time waitin. Should be AWSOME show if John Paul Jones is there.

Jesse Miller
Sessions Recording
Islamorada FL Keys
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
I am in 100% agreement that they should not do an album without John Bonham because I don't think anybody can write and record drums like he did EVER!!!!...but that guy they had on the Page/Plant tour did a pretty good job of playing JB's lines close to the studio original. I know I was impressed.
That would be Michael Lee... He's done stuff with Lenny Kravitz, Jeff Martin, and I think Thin Lizzy.

If anyone should do this it should probably be him.

I've seen Page live with The Firm (Paul Rogers on vox) and also with that "Outrider" thing he did.. both times he was great! If this "reunion" actualy does happen I'll go check it out. It won't be the same with out Bonham for sure but I bet it'll be pretty damn good none the less.

Now if they can just keep the ticket prices under $400 a seat!!!
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

You know this is for them to make money so tickets are def going to be outrageous. My drummer just told me last night that he saw a drummer ad for Ludwig (I think) for a new kit, and it had Jason Bonham and the drums have Zoso on them. Usually when I see ads like that, it is always a sign of what's to come. That makes me sad on so many levels...
I hope and pray and all that stuff that he proves me wrong that Jason Bonham's not a ******...
cam
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Didn't want to rain on the parade here, but someone pointed out some discrepancies in the article to me yesterday on another board, so I did some research.

Page was born Jan 9, 1944, so he would be 63 today (not 58).
Plant was born Aug 20, 1948 so he would be 58 today (not 54).
Jones was born Jan 3, 1946 so he would be 61 today (not 56).

Plus it says they're regrouping after 22 years...um...hasn't it been more like 26 now?

So I would guess that apparently this is a 5 year old article that someone decided to recycle.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Whoa!! Can this be for real? I mean I saw Page /Plant back in 1998 (Can't believe it was that long ago!) and the gig was KILLER and I mean killer, unbelievably good. But the good thing was that though a large portion of the setlist were Zep numbers, it never felt liek a reunion because the rhythm section was different. I was really surprised how well it worked and though I understand JPJ being pissed-off with being left behind, the 'burden' will be much higher with 3 Parts of Zep reunited.

As for drums: Michael Lee was great with Page and Plant but what about Dave Grohl?
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
As for drums: Michael Lee was great with Page and Plant but what about Dave Grohl?

Love Dave's playing, but he is (stylistically) about a polar opposite of Bonham. That would just be absolutely bizarre.

My wife (Zep fanatic) and I were discussing who should play drums this morning. I mentioned that the guy on the Page/Plant tour did a remarkable job (and she agreed) but she felt based on pure principle, that Bonham is the only proper choice. Other than (according to her me!

Personally I have to agree with her: It is rather fitting and would surely please Bonzo for his own son to fill in for him...

Regardless of who would do a better job of copping Bonzo's licks, just seems the right thing to do.

Honor thy father!
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatdigi View Post
Love Dave's playing, but he is (stylistically) about a polar opposite of Bonham. That would just be absolutely bizarre.
Maybe yeah. But I think a drummer on the 'polar opposite' side of Bonham would a much better choice than a Bonzo clone or his son. No offense to Jason but it would be like the Beatles reuniting with Dani Harrison and Julian Lennon.

I think Michael Lee did such a great job because it never felt like he was impersonating Bonham. His 'touch' is totally different. I think a drummer that is close to the Bonham feel in terms of sound and as to where he places the beat is Phil Collins. That didn't really work out at Live Aid but that was long ago and with at least Page being totally out of it.

What about Abe Laboriel Jr.?
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Personally I'd preffer Jason. I don't care if it's not as good whatever. I've been a Zep fan for 30 years and I'd love the chance to give em a round of applause in person. And since JB is passed, there's no one better to accept that applause on his behalf than his son.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I think this article is BS. It is the only place I can see any mention of this. You would think there would be more of a splash if it were true. I can't find anything else to support the article anywhere else. I just keep seeing articles from around 2003, which is probably from where this article comes, even though it says '07 at the top of the page. This, along with the age shaving, which I think really results in this story being about 4-5 years old, leaves me to believe you will not see any sort of Zep tour in 07. In fact, this is the most recent thing I could find in regards to Robert Plant:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003532244

At least the Police are doing something this year.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

gawd bless them man!........

whatever you do. if you elect to go see them, please judge them on their present merits, take into consideration their age,being Bonham-less etc. If you leave disappointed it's only because you're drawing comparisons to the "original" ZEP,normal ofcourse, but if you want that--listen to the CD's and watch the Old footage of their shows. Give them credit for still being out there, and don't ever forget how really great they once were----something alot of us have never nor will ever accomplsh! Don't reduce yourself to the "ilk" of the critic, you know, "there are those that do--and those that criticise"-----peace....
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
whatever you do. if you elect to go see them, please judge them on their present merits, take into consideration their age,being Bonham-less etc. If you leave disappointed it's only because you're drawing comparisons to the "original" ZEP,normal ofcourse, but if you want that--listen to the CD's and watch the Old footage of their shows. .
Nope. Any band calling themselves 'Led Zeppelin' would have to go against the original thing. I doubt that it ever will happen and actually it's something that raises my already boundless admiration for these guys. They never cashed in on the past in a cheap way and yet it was stunning how well they were able to deliver the old songs on that Page/Plant tour. And it was 'Page/Plant' and not 'Led Zeppelin Revisited'.

The Beatles and Led Zeppelin were the 2 best bands ever IMO and it's no coincidence for sure that both of them never regrouped under their old name.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

From the Jimmy Page website:

Jimmy has revealed plans to record a solo album of new material in early 2007. During an interview with BBC Radio on November 14th he stated that "I'd been hoping earlier on this year to be recording some music that I've already got together, but I had a few things that got in the way of it, and I'm gonna get, I'm gonna start up in the new year. It's an album that I really need to get out of my system. It's fun playing Zeppelin, playing with the Black Crowes, Zeppelin -- and playing their music, too, that was fun -- but there's a good album in there, and it's ready to come out." During the same interview Jimmy also mentioned that there are some more "Led Zeppelin things" that may be released next year.

I don't see anything about a Zeppelin tour.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Were it to happen I can see Jason Bonham doing it. Yeah there are a lot of guys that could nail it better than him but it would be more of a family thing with him in it. As for votes of who could do an AMAZING job behind the big Ludwigs? Jon Theodore. I think he could drive a better performance out of the geezers than they think they can get away with.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Head

How about the old drummer from The Mars Volta?
His names John Theodore and seeing he's quit TMV he'd be free now.
Old 26th January 2007
Hello? Dave Grohl. The guy's been dropping hints for 10 years in every interview on every guest appearance he makes.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Maybe yeah. But I think a drummer on the 'polar opposite' side of Bonham would a much better choice than a Bonzo clone or his son. No offense to Jason but it would be like the Beatles reuniting with Dani Harrison and Julian Lennon.
I think that was the idea behind Kenny Jones in The Who. It was kinda overrated.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search