The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1st commercial gig
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

1st commercial gig

Got my first commercial gig today at the last minute! The talent informed that I need to raise my rates. I'm like what should I be charging? He replies, a $150/hr. He said the next time he comes in that's what I should charge for his agency since he doesn't write the checks. I only charged him $35/hr for today. It's good for me that someone is being honest about the business side of things. Hopefully this will be the start of things more profitable for me!!

Perry
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Seal View Post
Got my first commercial gig today at the last minute! The talent informed that I need to raise my rates. I'm like what should I be charging? He replies, a $150/hr. He said the next time he comes in that's what I should charge for his agency since he doesn't write the checks. I only charged him $35/hr for today. It's good for me that someone is being honest about the business side of things. Hopefully this will be the start of things more profitable for me!!

Perry
Congrats....

now would be a good time to start keeping inventory...

good luck
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Smile More spots

I guess he liked my work, and more importantly my quick turn around time on reformating some of the spots. So the ad agency wants to use me every weeks for spots at the standard commercial rate of $150/hr! I can see why people flip over to doing this exclusively. I'll have to just keep accurate track of my invoices for work better than in the past.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Seal View Post
So the ad agency wants to use me every weeks for spots at the standard commercial rate of $150/hr! I can see why people flip over to doing this exclusively.
Yes. You get to a point where you think, "What should I do. Spend 12 hours recording a crappy singer. Or spend 2 hours on a 30 sec commercial and make the same amount of money."

Trust me. Once the novelty of recording crappy bands with huge ego's day in and day out wears out, doing 30sec spots won't seem so bad.

And you'll have a life.

That's why I love doing post-production.
More money. rarely do 14 hour days 7 days a week. And I can pick and choose the music projects I want to work on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search