The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ITB vs OTB Mixers (Digital)
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict

Talking ITB vs OTB

Wow,

After 5 years of strictly ITB music making, I decided to install my humble hardware
again. OMG, what a difference! What depth, what 3D sound, what clarity and
tighness compared to ITB! Even if i only have prosumer gear (Yamaha 01v, synths
and samplers). Definitely NOT going back to ITB even if it's a bit more easier to use.
But on the other hand, OTB i can make things sound good so much more easier and faster.

Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Good News to Moan Zone in 3...2...1...
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
ITB vs OTB-not_this_shit_again.jpg  
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict

I probably should add that I used Cubase, which uses floating point math in summing (like many other DAW software). Anyone who says OTB sounds the same either hasn't tried it or just doesn't hear a thing.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

haha i like that picture blaugruen7

i think you can get good stuff either way..

IMO hardware is always better..

a nice big board
vs
mousing around...

after all plugs are made to represent their hardware parents..MOST of the time...

lets not start any wars...but lets all be open to the fact that...no 2 situtations are the same..and as far as i'm concerned...our lives are guess and check equations..
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1353 View Post
Anyone who says OTB sounds the same either hasn't tried it or just doesn't hear a thing.

Yes, and anyone who starts a thread like this, especially in the good news channel, has NEVER SEEN THE SEARCH BUTTON.

Mother of pearl. Do you have any idea how many times this has been discussed? I think we should drag you out into the street and play Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" over and over again for 6 weeks. Maybe then you'll realize what you've done.
Old 15th January 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Hello Moderators - Please Lock This Thread!

Redundancy Alert!
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
Yes, and anyone who starts a thread like this, especially in the good news channel, has NEVER SEEN THE SEARCH BUTTON.

Mother of pearl. Do you have any idea how many times this has been discussed? I think we should drag you out into the street and play Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" over and over again for 6 weeks. Maybe then you'll realize what you've done.
"The good news channel: Made a breakthrough discovery? Moved a project forward? Let your good news be an inspiration for others! Share it!"

I made a breakthrough discovery and shared it. No intention to start a pointless debate. Like Morpheus in Matrix said: "No one can be told what OTB is, you have to hear it yourself."
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

hahahaha

this makes people
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1353 View Post
I made a breakthrough discovery and shared it.

See, that's where your wrong my friend. You didn't make anything, and are only sharing heartache.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

what ? mixing on a Yamaha O1V is out of the box ?

Maybe I´m confused here....but I always thought that mixing out of the box meant mixing in the analoge domain.... Are you saying that the digital mixing done on your O1V is better than the digital mixing within Cubase ? I always figured that digital mixing was digital mixing, and it didn´t matter if it were on a digital console, or in the computer.... please enlighten me if I´m wrong ...thanks !!Luke
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
ITB vs OTB-not_this_shit_again.jpg  
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejs View Post
Maybe I´m confused here....but I always thought that mixing out of the box meant mixing in the analoge domain.... Are you saying that the digital mixing done on your O1V is better than the digital mixing within Cubase ? I always figured that digital mixing was digital mixing, and it didn´t matter if it were on a digital console, or in the computer.... please enlighten me if I´m wrong ...thanks !!Luke
I don't like to answer to smart asses(?), but I can guarantee you that 01v sounds better than Cubase or any other software I've used (Logic, Cakewalk and Ableton live), I can only imagine how good the sound would be with an analog console. The difference even with 01v is like night and day!

And yes, there are differences between digital summing systems, 01v uses fixed point math. Most software uses floating point math. Floating bad, fixed good! Protools uses fixed point and SAW Studio some kind of DWORD thingy (and supposedly sounds superior to most software), but I haven't had the chance to A/B these systems. And for the record, I think using a room full of gear and 01v is OTB (out of the box, the box being a computer).

Just try it...
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut

I don't know... I just started mixing on analog again with a Toft ATB. I did notice an increase in the stereo image and there where other differences in the catagory of "hard to put your finger on". I used to own a Mackie Digital 8 Bus (D8b) and while is supposedly looked like a mixer - it was infact "mixing in the box". I myself found an improvement once I went to Samplitude V8. While Samplitude sounds quite nice I do find that resistors and capacitors can add something that software doesn't. The other drawbacks to using prosumer digital boards are things like AD/DA converters. If you're coming in digitally from something nicer it may not matter but still you have things like latency that are introduced as long as you've got them there. If you can hear a difference than that's all that matters. I do believe that just like analog summing, digital summing and it's results can very from one platform to another. Whatever floats your boat. What most folkes are saying here is you're still mixing "in the box". I personally preferred the sound of Samplitude over my D8b (...as well as my Mackie analog 8 bus I used to own). I do like the newer Toft as well as my Samplitude setup. They're both great and both have their uses. So, I think the correct answer is both "in the box" and "out of it". This isn't an attack on your ears, just the terminology. When most people say "out of the box", they mean no CPU's, no AD/DA's, no "processing", no plugins, no files - just an "old school" mixer. That's all....
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
but I can guarantee you that 01v sounds better than Cubase or any other software I've used
On the west coast, I used an 01v96 v2 clocked to a big ben and mixes had more depth & separation than my samp or protools hd mixes. the yamaha add-on effects are nice especially the reverb and comp/eq's
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post

heh heh heh heh

Cheers

Max

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search