The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Smashing Pumpkins
Old 4th January 2007
Old 5th January 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

If they get Jimmy Chamberlain back aboard, I'd go to the show just to watch him play. I think he's smack-free now.
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
If they get Jimmy Chamberlain back aboard, I'd go to the show just to watch him play. I think he's smack-free now.
Erm Jax? Jimmy is back on board for some time now!
They are in the studio right now.
Check out thier myspace site!
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, Chamberlain was back since Machina.

He has his own band that toured in L.A. for a while too with Apex Theory (I believe.)

Can't wait for the new stuff (although I think Billy Corgan lost his way after Melon Collie...kind of a shadow of his former self...his songs got kinda bland and aimless...but he's too good not to give a...fourth chance to.)
Old 5th January 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Oh...

Hmm. Didn't realize Jimmy's been back for awhile. Apparently... I'm competing with an ostrich to see if it can keep its head in the sand longer than I can live under a rock!

Jimmy kicks ass!

He and Matt Cameron (Soundgarden) are the two greatest living drummers in rock IMHO!

Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
He and Matt Cameron (Soundgarden) are the two greatest living drummers in rock IMHO!
And this guy makes three!

Jimmy, Matt, and Danny should collaborate and form "D3."

My favorite work of Jimmys was on "Gish." That album GROOVES.
Old 5th January 2007
Ha I just skimmed the thread, saw "smashing pumpkins" scrolled down and saw Matt Cameron and **** myself.
heh
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

I figured I could help this thread out a bit...get a few things out of the way up front...

"SMASHING PUMPINS SUCKS!"

no...

"SMASHING PUMKINS KICKS ASS!"

K... You're welcome
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
Ha I just skimmed the thread, saw "smashing pumpkins" scrolled down and saw Matt Cameron and **** myself.
heh
From the looks of him in that picture, I think he just did the same.

Everybody...DRUMMER FACE!!!!
Old 5th January 2007
Old 5th January 2007
Exclamation

Billy Corgan is too full of his own sh*t to make another great record

SmashingPumpkins is some really great rock though!
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Gggggggiiiiiisssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

woohoo!
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

I was a big Pumpkins fan back when I was 18. I'm just revisiting Gish now for the first time in years. I only ever owned it on cassette back when I was young and poor. Damn, the drums on this album are like PHAT SQUARED. Not so keen on the guitar sound but meh. Jimmy really was one hell of a player. Losing him back before the Adore days really was their biggest mistake, and I think Corgan would agree.

My biggest problem with Mellon Collie was the inconsistancy of the production. Although the songs were great the mixes often sounded like ****ty rehearsal demos.

Can't find my copy of Siamese Dream anywhere... Grrrrr....
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Speaking of Siamese Dream, Rumor has it there are about 40 guitar tracks on Soma....

Geez, Billy.

Gish and Siamese Dream are Brilliant....sadly, I've gotten less interested as they'd progressed.

Isn't James Iha playing with APC as well?
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopQuantum View Post
Isn't James Iha playing with APC as well?
Well he was. Nobody outside the band really knows what will happen with APC now Maynard is concentrating on Tool again.
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
I was a big Pumpkins fan back when I was 18.
Yeah me too... I recall not having money to get into their show and me and a buddy were sitting in the back alley listening to the opener through a window. Down the alley stumbles the whole band who obviously just scored something pretty heavy. The guitarist stepped over me after he was already about 4 feet passed me and said sorry! So me and my buddy kinda joined in with them and walked through the back door into the back stage area as if we were buds with the band.

It was a KILLER show... and it was way obvious that Corgan was SO into himself! Great frontman I suppose.
Old 5th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well he was. Nobody outside the band really knows what will happen with APC now Maynard is concentrating on Tool again.
Troof. Though it's a shame that's the case, as Billy H really seems to be the brains of APC. Mer De Noms was pretty much a modernized version of all his demos. Perhaps the rest of APC could defect to Smashing pumpkins with Iha, now that they're maynardless. I'd be down for a Smashing Perfect Circles Album.....Weeee!!! Supergroup!

This thread's hit several times so far on Jimmy's drumming... I agree. But speaking of APC, Josh Freese is amazing too. Wow. I met him at a NIN show a few months back. Really nice guy.
Old 5th January 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Jimmy, Matt, and Danny should collaborate and form "D3."
Which one of these is not like the others?

Sorry, but for my money, Danny is too "math rock," although his chops are very impressive. I like his playing when it doesn't sound like he's counting. Also, some jerko engineer (or more likely producer) keeps beat-detectiving and timing his **** to a Pro Tools grid. **** that!
Old 5th January 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
heh
Did you read the thread or just look at the pretty pictures? heh
Old 5th January 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I figured I could help this thread out a bit...get a few things out of the way up front...

"SMASHING PUMPINS SUCKS!"

no...

"SMASHING PUMKINS KICKS ASS!"

K... You're welcome
Lmao. Thanks for summing it up in advance, Kris.
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sorry, but for my money, Danny is too "math rock," although his chops are very impressive. I like his playing when it doesn't sound like he's counting. Also, some jerko engineer (or more likely producer) keeps beat-detectiving and timing his **** to a Pro Tools grid. **** that!
I don't know if you're referring to the 10,000 Days recordings. But the producer of that album came on this forum and pretty categorically stated that he never quantized a single beat of Danny Carey's playing. Also, I'm pretty sure that album was tracked to tape, not Pro Tools!
Old 6th January 2007
I believe he categorically stated that to JAX heh

srsly
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The one you put in bold?

It's apparent to me that there isn't any beat detective on 10,000 Days just by listening to it. Danny's timing is loose all over that album (in a good way.) For example, listen to the "nu-metal" part on the single "Vicarious." His snare is all over the place. Groovy.

Also, check out the song "El Pico de Maynard," the secret track offa Salival. It's in 4/4, if that makes you feel any better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopQuantum View Post
Troof. Though it's a shame that's the case, as Billy H really seems to be the brains of APC. Mer De Noms was pretty much a modernized version of all his demos. Perhaps the rest of APC could defect to Smashing pumpkins with Iha, now that they're maynardless. I'd be down for a Smashing Perfect Circles Album.....Weeee!!! Supergroup!

This thread's hit several times so far on Jimmy's drumming... I agree. But speaking of APC, Josh Freese is amazing too. Wow. I met him at a NIN show a few months back. Really nice guy.
Yeah, APC's first album was amazing, and Billy Howeredel wrote it all. Maynard got a little too involved on the second album and it SUCKED! And that third cover album...my God...

Josh Freese is great, tho, most definately. Great session drummer. Loved his work in Devo and The Daredevils. Hell, he even made The Offspring's rhythm section sound good (even tho it was on a terrible album.)

Oh...wait...Smashing Pumpkins...yeah!

I saw Smashing Pumpkins in D.C. (I think) during the Melon Collie tour right before their keyboard player died. It was an awesome show. Lotsa crazy stuff happened, here are some highlights (actual details may vary, this was around 10 years ago

-Billy's vocal mic kept shocking him. Into around the third song or so, he got real pissed and smacked the mic with the ass-end of his guitar. The mic EXPLODED SOMEHOW, and went shooting off into the audience. Took the sound guys around 20 minutes to fix the problem.

-Billy brought a mechanical stuffed pig on stage with him. Throughout the show, somehow, it kept finding it's way to James Iha and running up onto his leg. He finally got frusterated and gave the pig the boot, catapulting it deep into the audience. Billy stops on a dime and shouts "MY PIGGY!!!!!!" He refused to let the show go on until his piggy was thrown back onstage.

-Billy went backstage to cry after playing Mayonnaise for around 15 minutes. James and D'Arcy kept us all entertained by talking about the movie "Independance Day."

-At the end of "Rocket," Billy climbed on top of one of the double amp stacks. At the final chord, he jumped off, and swung his guitar completely around his body in mid air, catching it as he hit the ground, striking the final chord. It was the most badass guitar-move I've ever seen.

-Shirley Manson (Garbage was the opening act) wasn't wearing any underwear. thumbsup
Old 6th January 2007
Gear Addict

Danny is a Straight machine,the most talented drummer ive ever heard.Im a Rush from way back,I think Peart pissed his pants when he heard Danny.
Old 6th January 2007
Gear Nut

Scouring a friend's shared iPod folder at work-- he had the Rotten Apples (?) Best-of CD, so I put it on. Song after song after song of greatness. I had forgotten how much I like Smashing Pumpkins.
Old 6th January 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know if you're referring to the 10,000 Days recordings. But the producer of that album came on this forum and pretty categorically stated that he never quantized a single beat of Danny Carey's playing. Also, I'm pretty sure that album was tracked to tape, not Pro Tools!
Well that's even worse! Who wants a drummer that sounds like he's been quantized and had his timing stamped in a waffle iron? There's a word for it: STIFF
Old 6th January 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
The one you put in bold?

It's apparent to me that there isn't any beat detective on 10,000 Days just by listening to it. Danny's timing is loose all over that album (in a good way.) For example, listen to the "nu-metal" part on the single "Vicarious." His snare is all over the place. Groovy.

Also, check out the song "El Pico de Maynard," the secret track offa Salival. It's in 4/4, if that makes you feel any better!
WOOOOO! ONE 4/4 track out of what, 8? I never listened to Salival as I got too turned off of Tool after Lateralus. They are today's biggest math rock band. Rush II with some "nu-metal" spice! WOO!!

Quote:
-At the end of "Rocket," Billy climbed on top of one of the double amp stacks. At the final chord, he jumped off, and swung his guitar completely around his body in mid air, catching it as he hit the ground, striking the final chord. It was the most badass guitar-move I've ever seen.

-Shirley Manson (Garbage was the opening act) wasn't wearing any underwear. thumbsup
Nice. Very Nice. Both. thumbsup
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
WOOOOO! ONE 4/4 track out of what, 8?
32 or so.

Quote:
I never listened to Salival as I got too turned off of Tool after Lateralus.
Salival was released before Lateralus. It was just a buncha live tracks and some filler to tide over fans until Lateralus (and to make more money, I'm sure.)

Quote:
They are today's biggest math rock band. Rush II with some "nu-metal" spice! WOO!!
I dunno, the kiddies are raving about The Mars Volta a lot too...

Yeah, I believe Rotten Apples was from the "Tonight, Tonight" disc outta "The Aeroplane Flies High..." box set (it also appeared on their greatest hits.) You may wanna check that disc out if you like that song, Greg, there's a couple more just like it on there, including a solo acoustic "Tonight, Tonight" reprise. thumbsup
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
...Salival was released before Lateralus. It was just a buncha live tracks and some filler to tide over fans until Lateralus (and to make more money, I'm sure.)...
There is a cover version of No Quarter on that CD that is realy great!
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

SP is up there with my all time fav bands. SD blew me away, then Gish, then the rest. i saw some of their shows (including one before keyboardist' death) as well as their 2nd to last show @ United Center.

SD was an achievement and a half sonically... i remember buying that CD and played it over and over. i did everything i could to figure out how they recorded that album. great songs, incredible arrangements, ridiculous tones, and finess on their inst... not exactly somethings you find in other rock/alterna bands at that time.

speaking of Jimmy, i come to find out that Butch Vig edited and spliced the hell out of his drums on SD and Gish (seeing that BV is a drummer himself). still some great records tho.

there were a few winners on the Machina album. can't wait to see what they'll deliver this year.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search