The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warren Huart is EPIC!
Old 2nd March 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTheBeard View Post
Sorry for the necrobump. Who was it that mentioned the SM53 Warren?
It was the great Val Garay!
Old 2nd March 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I'm not Warren but it was the interview with producer Val Garay. A few years before I saw that feature I found an online artice where Garay talked about his methods and said that the SM53 was his fave mic for electric guitar. And then I remembered that I had one lying around that a friend gave to me for free.

Of course it's my fave now as well but like with anything, your mileage may vary.

DISCLAIMER: This is PURE guesswork on my part but I wouldn't be surprised if the SM53 was used for the guitars on this track here, I'm also assuming that Val Garay was involved.

Yes! It was the great Val Garay and yes, you are more than likely right that Val also engineered that! He's a wonderful talent and I had an amazing day with him!
Old 2nd March 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
This interview is 'priceless'. A masterclass ...from both guy's actually. Warren is so brilliant at keeping the relaxed informative vibe.

If they awarded a Grammy for audio interviews - this one would get it.

Superb.
Thanks ever so much! JJP is so much fun to be around! I learned so much from him!

Do you know what the best thing about him was? How he treated my team! We had an intern and my Engineer Eric and myself and he made them coffee, lunch and genuinely was interested in them and treated them with real, no cameras rolling, respect! That is a mark of a true Producer, it's a skill that Jack Douglas has also in abundance, the ability to make everyone comfortable so they can freely create!
Old 2nd March 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
It recently came to my attention that many pro engineers still use Waves RVox on vocals. Warren does, I've watched several of his vocal mixing vids, and RVox appears to be the second plugin on the vocal (following a de-esser).

So i bought RVox and wow, doesnt it give a vocal some body and oomph
I gave it a second chance around 2007-8 because I saw Michael Brauer using it and it sounded great! Since then I haven't looked back!
Old 2nd March 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Tremendous job on the Clearmountain interview! Warren really got him to open up, check it out!

Thanks ever so much! Yes, I've been a huge fan of Bob's pretty much my whole life! I remember getting 'Tattoo You' when it came out and loving it!

He's certainly worked on more of the greatest albums than anyone else I can think of!
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
Marvellous question!

Actually ALL my preferred basses are cheap! Haha I have a Mexican Jazz Bass ($250 when I bought it!) a Peavey T-40 (also $250 used! and frankly an amazing sounding full bass!) and a new Yamaha BB 1200 which I believe was $699?

All have their place and get used a lot!

Thanks for the marvellous question!

Many thanks

Warren
The t-40 is what I was thinking of... thanks man!
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I gave it a second chance around 2007-8 because I saw Michael Brauer using it and it sounded great! Since then I haven't looked back!
I have posts here going back years where I repeatedly sing the praises of Rvox. Honestly, it's the only plug compressor I use when I use plugs. I have a lot of hardware comps here and use them but I've said before that I can do a whole mix with just RVox. Not only is it great on vocals, but it's fantastic on anything. Throw it on bass, keys, strings, etc. For some reason it just works no matter the source and it's stupid fast to set both a delay and gate threshold that's perfect. Waves really struck gold with that thing.

On top of it, the gate is supremely useful as well. I love my older hardware verbs and delays and so I run stuff constantly through my Lexcon 300 / Eventide 2016 / PCM42 / SDE3000, etc and print them and throw a RVox on the track. The compressor is great for either adding body to the reverb and sustain to the delays, or especially if I get in the final stages of the mix and find the reverb or delay is taking up a little too much room the gate is fantastic for trimming down the reverb or delay length without having to go and patch in, recall, adjust, and re-print it again or drawing volume envelopes.

Anyway, still loving your vids here. Keep on keepin' on!
Old 8th March 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Haha I LOVE Wallace and Gromit!
Yeah, me too. I think anything Aardman is just brilliant, so please take my 'comparison' as a compliment...

Sorry, but now I can't help but wonder if there's a 'Gromit' in the Wozza's household. Is it.., Eric..?

T
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear