The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sony C-37. Why is it so perfect?
Old 20th December 2017
Here for the gear

Sony C-37. Why is it so perfect?

This mic has not been modeled yet has it? I kinda want an original but if the workmanship is on par with like a Neumann or Royer then I’d give it a whirl. Why do the c-37s sound so great and uniquely identifiable?
Old 20th December 2017
Modeled? Not that I'm aware of. But EveAnna Manley has created the Manley Silver which is her tribute to (if not an actual recreation of) the C37.

If you want to hear it, here's a comparison of the Manley Silver with the other Manley mics:

Manley Mic Comparison – Silver, Gold, and Ref Cardioid - inSync
Old 20th December 2017
Gear Guru

Interesting. Back in the tape days, the C-37 was "dull." With DAW's, of course, anything that used to be dull is now warm.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

C37A-released in 1958. Sinatra's favorite studio vocal microphone of all!

Chris
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

I didn't realize there'd be the 2 Tonelux versions of the C-37, at NAMM, until I saw them. (one tube/oneFET). Great fun to sing into! (tube was better on my voice YMMV) The Silver Manley seemed to be more "inspired by C-37", but sounded beautiful too.

Chris
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
I didn't realize there'd be the 2 Tonelux versions of the C-37, at NAMM, until I saw them. (one tube/oneFET). Great fun to sing into! (tube was better on my voice YMMV) The Silver Manley seemed to be more "inspired by C-37", but sounded beautiful too.

Chris
YouTube
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Cool video. BTW Brent Casey is a brilliant mic designer-He helped develop the Studio Projects CS series (among other things).

I should have remembered to mention that the Tonelux power supply is for TWO microphones. In case you start with just one, and add another microphone of the same model later to make a stereo pair.

Since been corrected (by a much more knowledgeable audio person than me) that my statement about Frank's "favorite vocal mic" isn't accurate. I still love that Tonelux C37 tube mic on me though!

Chris
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search