The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your favorite vocal mic that you currently own? Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

These are my favs. Pair of M49 on the way. From the left side M269, 414EB with CK12 x2 , U47 with VF14 x2, Siemens SM204 x 2, U67 x 2, and vintage U87 x 2
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favorite vocal mic that you currently own?-15844154_10157870931970315_3017220274011659642_o.jpg  
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Maniac
Peluso 2247 SE. great microphone.
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
These are my favs. Pair of M49 on the way. From the left side M269, 414EB with CK12 x2 , U47 with VF14 x2, Siemens SM204 x 2, U67 x 2, and vintage U87 x 2
I would trade for a SM 204 or M49!
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

My favorite vocal mic is this one. It's one I made based on the Alice plans. As it happens it has a warm sound in spite of the capsule being somewhat smaller than a conventional LDC. It is not at all spitty sounding which seems to be the plague of modern condenser mics.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favorite vocal mic that you currently own?-mic-003.jpg  
Old 14th May 2018
I have a Pearlman TM1, a heavily modded Telefunken AR-51 with a Tim Campbell capsule, an vintage U87, a Soundelux U195 and an AKG 414 TLII, that have all been used for vocal duties. Usually it goes back and forth between the Pearlman and the T Funk. At some point I would like to add something that has a real U47 flavor because the Pearlman isn't really, that, it has a edgier quality that works well on many voices but when it doesn't it really doesn't. When it doesn't work usually the T funk does. Those 2 get used more than the others.
Old 17th May 2018
You will probably laugh but...I just got a (very rare) MXL V12 Silicon valve mic. This thing sounds way, way better than it should for a cheap mic. Sounds more tube like than any tube mic I've ever had. Thick sounding with a really smooth top end.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Head
Bock 407 through a v76. Wow.
Old 21st May 2018
Here for the gear

I love mics. I adore the sound of the 251, 47s, 87s, c12....they are classic because they set the standard of what things should sound like! Lately, however, my mind is changing as I think about the way we look at recording. The Ehrlund Ehr-M has given the industry a paradigm shift in recording with its near transparent capture of sound.

From a sound designers perspective, you need to find a mic that will give you the most transparent recording possible...then you can play with it in the mix or run the signal through whatever compressor, e.q., pre, you want to form the warmth, presence, air....you name it. If you were a painter...would you want to paint on a blue canvas, a pink canvas or (call me crazy...) a white canvas?

Present mic technology is based on designs from the 50s and 60s. And all of the comments we are reading are based on the fact that these mics color the sound in their own special way, because of the internal resonance caused by the combination of membrane design and electronic circuits. The Ehrlund's membrane is TRIANGULAR. Round is good if you want something to ring for a long time...like a gong. Imagine looking into a bucket of water and dropping a pebble into it, the ripples travel back and forth disturbing the surface and muddying the reflection of your face as you look down into it. On the other hand, the corners of a triangular diaphragm pretty much kill these ripples immediately and therefore there is almost no internal resonance...and an almost completely transparent reproduction of your sound.

Most people don't believe this can be true...but it is. I know people from the company who were at NAMM this year and also visiting some of the top studios on the West Coast... every producer they met with didn't want to give the mic back!! Here are some other facts about the mic: most top studio mics boast a frequency response of 20 - 20khz...with an internal noise of less than 13db. Compare that with the Ehrlund: 7 - 87khz and an internal noise less than 5 db. Seriously. I have a vintage U87 from 1971...and a few other goodies... but I haven't used them since I got an Ehr-M three years ago! By recording with a transparent mic, your hands are free to be as creative as you want.
Old 21st May 2018
This week it's the new Sony C100. What a great mic!
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Not a pro here, so honestly because of my lack of skill...

I prefer vocal microphones that have some "personality", and (hopefully) have the right kind of chemistry on my voice. Having a certain sound established up front, IMHO gives me better direction on a vocal track.

I can sure understand the value of greater sonic flexibilty from keeping an Ehrlund or Sony C100 around for the pro studio though!

Chris
Old 23rd May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
That is an incredible collection!
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
That is an incredible collection!
Thanks mate! Time to sell it all :D
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Nut

AT4050 here...
Search this Thread