The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your favorite vocal mic that you currently own? Condenser Microphones
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Mojave MA-1000
That MA-1000 is sweet! It's a great sounding mic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Lynn (and anyone else who's used it) have you tried out any of the Bock/Soundelux microphones, with the FAT switch on-For vocals?

Thanks, Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Mojave MA-1000
Mojave FET
Neumann U67

Some Mojave's I've found a little miss, but when they're good they're REALLY good.!
Can you post a link to a song that you recorded vocals with the ma1000? Would love to hear.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Lynn (and anyone else who's used it) have you tried out any of the Bock/Soundelux microphones, with the FAT switch on-For vocals?

Thanks, Chris
Chris,

The FAT switch makes a huge difference in the sound. AND in the output level of the mic. (As much as 6dB as I recall.) I didn't do a level matched comparison so I can't comment on the differences in the EQ, but it did sound drastically different. Again, part of that was the level difference.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post

Thanks, Chris
My U195 is my most-used vocal mic, and I use the FAT switch in conjunction with the HPF for most singers. The effect, to my ears, is to emphasize the fundamental of the voice in a way that gives the track more "elbow room" in the mix. I can then usually leave the low end pretty much alone and use EQ to fine-tune the midrange. This works better for some singers than others--sometimes it can get overly creamy--but most often it's a good thing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks Lynn and nightchef. So far I've mostly tried the U195 in "male falsetto" (high Soprano), with the HPF/FAT switch engaged. It's fantastic for that.

I'll have to try that more, in my Baritone/2nd Tenor registers.
My guess is that for the thicker Bari range, I'll keep it flat.

Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
probably my trust old sm7.

it just works on such a wide variety of voices.

i've got some nice LDCs, some tube mics, etc...but the sm7 rarely fails me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Hadn't tried an AKG 414 since the EB days and had a chance to sing on a commercial and the engineer trotted out a 414XLII. Sent it straight through Audient preamp and it was one of the best tracks I've done in a long while. The early ones were great on acoustic guitar but a little bright on my voice but this setup worked and I'm picking one up after work tonight. Got to stop reading and just try for myself.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
Can you post a link to a song that you recorded vocals with the ma1000? Would love to hear.
Sure, I'll get around to it at some point.. I'm going to post a set of comparisons including the GZ67FET and ISK 2B.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

lately I'm rediscovering the greatness of the Pearlman TM-250
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
micparts t-12

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search