The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your favorite vocal mic that you currently own? Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Mojave MA-1000
That MA-1000 is sweet! It's a great sounding mic.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Lynn (and anyone else who's used it) have you tried out any of the Bock/Soundelux microphones, with the FAT switch on-For vocals?

Thanks, Chris
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Mojave MA-1000
Mojave FET
Neumann U67

Some Mojave's I've found a little miss, but when they're good they're REALLY good.!
Can you post a link to a song that you recorded vocals with the ma1000? Would love to hear.
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Lynn (and anyone else who's used it) have you tried out any of the Bock/Soundelux microphones, with the FAT switch on-For vocals?

Thanks, Chris
Chris,

The FAT switch makes a huge difference in the sound. AND in the output level of the mic. (As much as 6dB as I recall.) I didn't do a level matched comparison so I can't comment on the differences in the EQ, but it did sound drastically different. Again, part of that was the level difference.
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post

Thanks, Chris
My U195 is my most-used vocal mic, and I use the FAT switch in conjunction with the HPF for most singers. The effect, to my ears, is to emphasize the fundamental of the voice in a way that gives the track more "elbow room" in the mix. I can then usually leave the low end pretty much alone and use EQ to fine-tune the midrange. This works better for some singers than others--sometimes it can get overly creamy--but most often it's a good thing.
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks Lynn and nightchef. So far I've mostly tried the U195 in "male falsetto" (high Soprano), with the HPF/FAT switch engaged. It's fantastic for that.

I'll have to try that more, in my Baritone/2nd Tenor registers.
My guess is that for the thicker Bari range, I'll keep it flat.

Chris
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Nut
probably my trust old sm7.

it just works on such a wide variety of voices.

i've got some nice LDCs, some tube mics, etc...but the sm7 rarely fails me.
Old 7th February 2018
Hadn't tried an AKG 414 since the EB days and had a chance to sing on a commercial and the engineer trotted out a 414XLII. Sent it straight through Audient preamp and it was one of the best tracks I've done in a long while. The early ones were great on acoustic guitar but a little bright on my voice but this setup worked and I'm picking one up after work tonight. Got to stop reading and just try for myself.
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
Can you post a link to a song that you recorded vocals with the ma1000? Would love to hear.
Sure, I'll get around to it at some point.. I'm going to post a set of comparisons including the GZ67FET and ISK 2B.
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

lately I'm rediscovering the greatness of the Pearlman TM-250
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Nut
micparts t-12
Old 10th March 2018
Gear Addict

It seems to be uncool to name a Neumann of the current production in this thread, but I'll do:
Neumann M149!

It's my favourite mic in my harem - but I really love them all.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favorite vocal mic that you currently own?-mic-locker.jpg  
Old 19th March 2018
Right now, it's a RODE Tube Classic (original). Just received a demo Soundelux U99, so I expect it to shake things up a bit. I also like the RODE NT-R ribbon, Groove Tubes Model 1 and 1a. Have used a Beyer M88 in the control room for scratch vocals and kept it 9 times out of 10 if the performance was good.
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Typically our Tele 251E wins all the vocal mic shootouts, but a couple of new additions are rapidly gaining favor:

Bock 507 - Big, round and smooth and particularly good on thin or edgy voices; this mic has become our new go to for hip hop vocals.

Brauner VMA - Wow, this mic is unlike anything else in our mic closet. In position 1 (vintage mode), this mic is so intimate it sounds like the vocalist is standing next to you in the control room. It absolutely kills on female vocals. In position 2 (Clean or VM-1) the mic is so unflinchingly accurate it can intimidate some vocalists.

Dave/Suspect Studios
Old 20th March 2018
Here for the gear

Sm7b. Actually it's the only mic I have besides the SM58.
Old 20th March 2018
Vocal Mics

Blackspade UM17R is my go to. R84 and SM7B, for some voices.

I don’t know why the pic comes in sideways... must prefer landscape format.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favorite vocal mic that you currently own?-05eb2b80-1078-4e9c-8cde-7b5ae83ee8eb.jpg  
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Nut

It's definitely my Flea 47 Next with Thiersch PVC M7 capsule:

Old 26th March 2018
Advanced Audio ELA M251 clone.
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
It seems to be uncool to name a Neumann of the current production in this thread, but I'll do:
Neumann M149!

I can see a pair of Gefell UM 70 on your photo ! Nobody knows these great mic factory in the east part of Germany ? They are building really good mics for half the price of a Neumann, being Neumann-Ost in a very professional way. The history is that they were divorced in Neumann west and Neumann east, so Gefell became Neumann East. After the reunion of Germany, Gefell restarted the business, and Mister Thiersch was one of the capsule proofs. I got the M 930 and am happy since about 14 years. Looking forward to buy a UMT70s.
Old 27th March 2018
Here for the gear
sE Electronics Gemini III Anniversary Studio Mic

I use an sE Electronics Gemini III (sE Anniversary Limited Edition) for all things vocal & the occasional live instrument performance. It offers so much warmth & depth to the recordings. I own a Neumann U47 which I used to use quite often until I got the Gemini III. I also have an Audio-Technica AT4040 Condenser Mic which in my opinion is one of the best Audio-Technica has ever made. It's excellent for vocals & live instrumentation and it's a real workhorse. I've had mine for 11 years now and it's still working in top-notch fashion. In fact, it was the very first studio mic that I brought to record. I'll finish off with a Sony C-800G Large-diaphragm Tube Condenser Mic in the collection which is a really high end mic in terms of $$ & quality. It's great with everything but my go-to mic is the sE Electronics Gemini. Getting Ready to purchase a Lauten soon but I'm still doing research on their brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
I'll start.

I have a Soundelux 251 that I've owned for about 12 years now. I absolutely adore it. It's always on the stand when I'm trying out mics for a vocalist. I will also mention that it doesn't always win. Most vocalists sound great on it but, as I've said frequently, there's no one best mic.

I also frequently use my Advanced Audio CM67, an AEA R84, SM7B (which has gone missing) on vocals. Others that I use but don't own are Miktek CV4, Neumann U47, Brauner VM1KHE and VMA, and AKG C12.

I'll expand on this topic and tell you the condenser mics that have caught my ear recently.

sE X1s - It's shocking that something that sounds this good only costs $179. It hangs with mics at 5x the price.
Lauten LA 320 - It's bright for sure, but I've been really impressed by it.
Miktek MK300 - Big and warm.
Bock Audio iFet - This one really surprised me. I wasn't expecting to love it.
Mojave MA50 - For the price, this is a killer mic with amazing presence.
Mojave MA1000 -This mic really deserves to be considered with the highest end condensers, even those selling for twice its price.

Here's some more info about a few of these that made my Cool New Mics list last year.

5 Best New Mics Under $500 - inSync | Sweetwater
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Nut

I have to say I love my Voxorama Typ 47, but sometime it is the Sony C800g.
Really depends on the voice.
Old 26th April 2018
I recently acquired a pair of Bock 251's which I'm enamoured with.
So now it's out of the REDD, Bock 251, Horch RM2J, Nordic NU47, Neumann SM69 tube, AKG C24 or the Sony C800G.
Old 26th April 2018
The original post lists the Lauten LA-320. I'll second that it is a really quality mic at any price. Installing an NOS Mullard really smooths it out. Have one for sale in the classifieds w a Mullard if anyone is interested.
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Head

My humble Rode NTK with a Gold Lion in it is fantastic. I also have an sE Electronics Titan that nobody loves but me. It has this smoky vibe in the highs that I love. I think mics are so dependent on the preamps though, just those two are different animals through my Joe Meek than through my TLA 5052. Or for that matter straight into my Focusrite 18i20. All kinds of colours.
Old 26th April 2018
Replaced the vocal tracks and I'm keeping the Soundelux U195 - FAT switch. It just sounds big no matter the preamp or interface on full voices, especially for a non-tube mic. Selling off all my others, done searching for the moment. Great capsule and I wonder if he used it some of his other mics?

Old 26th April 2018
Gear Nut

I know a lot of people will tell me I am wrong,
but if I only would have a Neumann U87 it would be ok, too.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duplex One View Post
I must only agree
Old 27th April 2018
Here for the gear

The Warm Audio WA47 is my current favorite vocal mic right now.
Old 2nd May 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duplex One View Post
After trying many mics, I've found the U87 is most flattering for most voices.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Neumann M149!

I’d love to inherit your mic collection (because I don’t expect to ever afford very many of them). What are the two pairs of mics on the upper right of your picture... the two silver and two black?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search