The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your favorite vocal mic that you currently own? Condenser Microphones
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Nut

Rmj2 and Vms (just for fg12)
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Hi. My go to vocal mic for the past few years has been my Heil PR40.
https://heilsound.com/products/pr-40/
I'm in a home studio, so it fits my needs and my voice
Love it paired with my UA LA 610
All the best
Old 10th June 2017
Gear Nut

I'm working with limited finances for one and, two, I'm not recording others, only myself. With that, I will say that the Aston Origin has helped me considerably, and I am extremely happy that the people at Aston designed it.
Old 11th June 2017
We are talking about vocal mics, isn't it ?

At the moment....
Wunder Audio CM7
Neumann U47fet Collectors Edition

R.
Old 11th June 2017
A humble Sputnik
Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
A humble Sputnik
It's what you do with it that counts.

I cut a vocal 20 years ago! .... on an AKG C3000 £200 into a tiny Art Tube MP that cost me £40 into a LA Audio mono compressor £100.

It was an inspired performance - full of emotion and sounded great.

I tried to re-record the song a few weeks ago on my current vocal chain which is considerably more expensive than my chain 20 years ago.

And although the sound was obviously better quality and better resolution and all that - you know I couldn't re-capture the magic and it just didn't "sound" as good in the broader sense of the word.

Great gear is nice to have - magic is essential.
Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
It's what you do with it that counts.

I cut a vocal 20 years ago! .... on an AKG C3000 £200 into a tiny Art Tube MP that cost me £40 into a LA Audio mono compressor £100.

It was an inspired performance - full of emotion and sounded great.

I tried to re-record the song a few weeks ago on my current vocal chain which is considerably more expensive than my chain 20 years ago.

And although the sound was obviously better quality and better resolution and all that - you know I couldn't re-capture the magic and it just didn't "sound" as good in the broader sense of the word.

Great gear is nice to have - magic is essential.
Exactly! So important not to conflate audio "quality" with performance. I have had the same experience. When there's magic, you recognize it and build around it. Strive for quality while you record but performance trumps everything!

Good on ya for being able to allow the "producer" hat to override the "engineer" hat to preserve the performer's performance! It's a split personality situation!
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Head
AKG C414XLII and EV RE-20.
Old 11th October 2017
We settled on the Telefunken Copperhead, Violet Design Amethyst Vintage, Gefell MT71S, and Blue Stage 1/2 with the B6 or VD67 capsule. Also like but don't currently own the Pearlman TM1 and Lauten Atlantis. All great vocal mics depending on the singer and tune.
Old 21st October 2017
AA CM47 for me (tenor)
Telefunken AR51 for my wife (alto)
Sometimes Schoeps Mk21
Had great results foing a folk duet with the AEA R88, both singing to a ribbon each.
I am lusting currently after the AEA 44ce, and saving up!

To echo others, some really great sounds I have captured using my first mic, the Studio Projects C1, a usually cursed, peaky mic. Some voices will work with some mics and not others, regardless of price.

Some cool collections in this thread.
Got me looking into the Horch stuff. Wow.
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicwind View Post
Some cool collections in this thread.
Got me looking into the Horch stuff. Wow.

IMHO Horch are top notch and hang with classic vintage mics.
Old 22nd October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
IMHO Horch are top notch and hang with classic vintage mics.
My feelings too. The depth of field is above and beyond what we tend to accept as modern quality.
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Nut

Upton 251
Old 10th November 2017
Here for the gear
We put up three mics on vocalists being recorded for the first time...a Pearlman TM1 (a clean take on a big-basket, vintage tube sound), Horch FM2J (very modern "live" sounding FET), and the Peluso P-67 (tube, and in the middle, sound-wise). One of those either works or comes close enough to suggest what other mics to try. Then we rotate the final choice through preamps (hardware and plug-ins) to select the best combo.

Our U87 kills on some voices, but it usually comes in last.

Sometimes a mic that was rejected when through a transparent pre will sound superior when piped through other kind of preamps...so it's good to mix it up a little.
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

I have 3 Beesneez mics from the early stages of the company with the Chinese bodies: Arabella, Phelicity, James.
The Arabella has an EF-12 tube and both it and the Phelicity have CM-2461NiCo transformers.

FWIW, the 251 is my all-time favorite mic on my voice.
My Phelicity was tuned more to a 251 than a C12 (still sounds somewhere in between).

With all of that said, the Beesneez James is easily the favorite of my mics on my voice.
It seems tailor made for me.
ZERO sibilance and nice and creamy, but firm, through the mids.

The Arabella is simply bigger sounding with a huge bottom end and depth, the Phelicity has significantly greater low end and high end extension, but the James just does it for me.

Other than a "real" 251, it is the best sounding mic I've heard on me.
It's almost like a cross between a 47-ish and a 251-ish mic (Russian 6N2P-EV tube, Cinemag 2480 transformer) but with rolled off/controlled top and bottom end.
One of the VERY few mics I can sing directly towards the capsule.

Last edited by MadGuitrst; 24th November 2017 at 12:42 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Lauten Atlantis
ADK 251 Cremona FET

Love em both

Last edited by dgkenney; 1 week ago at 06:52 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 1 week ago
as with all, it depends on the source and song

for pop / rock / hip hop - Manley Reference Cardioid

for bv / metal / hard rock - Shure SM7b

for vintage-y roots / country / soul - Coles 4038

for an alternate to the Manley - Mojave MA-200

for ****s and giggles - slate VMS

the vms is pretty disappointing compared to the rest of these... the Manley can come through the speakers and drop jaws on the first instant, the Coles with a little air boost can be the smoothest sound i've ever heard, but with the VMS, it takes fighting with plugins to get it 85% of the way there, and still it's not close enough. Beware the advertisers, research the records you love made by people you look up to, and buy the mics they used. Super simple, no more second guessing
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Neumann U87A i (late 90s)
Old 1 week ago
Currently weeded out my mic collection (wish I could have kept them all but Xmas gifts took their toll on my wallet). My favorite is the Blue Stage Two Rocket with a Siemens tube and the Violet Design VD67 capsule. Never thought I'd like the 67 cap better than in the Amethsyt but through a UA Solo 610 it's magic. The B6 is next in line followed by the B8, B7 not so much on my voice.
Still have my "never sell" Violet Emerald LE and recently picked up the Slate VMS. I really thought I'd keep the Slate for a week or two and move on but it's smooth, classic sound on lead vocals is hard to deny. Looking forward to Slate running a sale on the 3rd mic series but at $299 its out of my league at the moment.

Last edited by RKeefe1032; 3 days ago at 05:37 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

it's a tough choice to cull one that could be considered favorite. But as a sonic favorite I'd have
to go with my Soundelux E47. Valvet comes in #2 .
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Sleeper alert! My best "bang for the buck" (on my voice) is the AKG D790.
IMHO it's like the neodymium version, fo the venerable Beyer M88.

Very similar sonic footprint, somewhat more "rolled off" on high frequencies vs.
M88. Currently can be found typically, under $60! Must admit I want to re-try
the M88, now that my vocals are "more mature"/darker sounding though.
8-10 years ago, there was much more of a sibilance issue with me.

A close 2nd is the Oktava 219. I had 2 in the past I sold, but this one's exceptional in comparison. very similar effect on my voice, to the RCA 77 ribbon.
Definitely (way more than) worth the $100 paid-and am "afraid to mod it"!

Either one could be used for "release level" vocals. In fact I may be taking both to a local studio, pretty soon, for singing on a friend's solo CD coming up.

Chris
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

The Oktava 219/319 have excellent capsules.

I have one "officially" modded by Joly and one that I pulled a layer of screen mesh out (less than a 5 minute job) and tested with and without the resonator discs over the capsule. Did the Dorsey mod (Joly copied, changed SLIGHTLY) and, well....

If you like the way your 219 sounds as is, simply leave it and don't look back.

Interesting info/opinion on the 790.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Thanks! BTW Am looking forward to NAMM, coming up soon. Among the other microphones, I'm curious about... Planning to try/re-try the Neumann U47 FET,
U67(!), along with the various AKG C12 style microphones.

Chris
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search