The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
So what IS the "best" vocal mic?
Old 20th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
A few things this exercise teaches me:

(5) I have always bought microphones virtually blind.
That's the huge benefit I see too. Talking about mics is like dancing about architecture. There's no substitute for hearing with your own ears.

Quote:
I think this shootout helps to contrast the qualities and tonality of the microphones recorded. I know people will argue all day about flaws in the method(s) used, whether all the tonal possibilities were evaluated etc. An unrealistic amount of effort would be required to satisfy everyone.
This was a huge undertaking. For those who wish we had done more, we do too. At some point we had to draw a line between what we could reasonably accomplish (which was very ambitious) and what we would love to do.

Quote:
In this case the files are given and if you want you can try and see how well the different models take eq and also see whether or not the recordings fall apart easily when sculpted

Overall several potential "Best" / "Good" tones have been served up. Your wallet may however be a limitation....

Regards,
Stratman
Two overall results that pleased me.

1) People can hear the difference at different price points. And they still value and appreciate expensive mics.

2) For those who have always wondered if they could hear $2600 worth of difference between the mic they've always dreamed of having and the mic they can afford or already have, it allows them to listen and see if they can hear a difference. And then make an educated decision about when or if they want to upgrade to another mic.

Thanks, Stratman, for your comments.
Old 22nd July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Skipping meals to save up for mics? Good man!!

Your priorities are straight. You may have a future in this business. ;-)
If he stops eating altogether he'll have those mics in a jiffy.
Old 18th August 2017
Gear Head

To me, the Telefunken 251 hands down. It just sounds "finished" and I can feel how nicely the vocals would sit in my mixes without much processing at all. It's got that really nice top sheen around 10k that I feel most other mics are lacking. The Bock 251 doesn't even come close in my opinion, it sounds too boomy in the low mids.

Love the U47 as well, it's much deeper compared to the 251 and would probably work amazing for singers with thinner voices.

Just some of my thoughts

Cheers!
Old 8th September 2017
Gear Head
I've sent myself into a world of madness listening to these files! Great to get an overview of how they sound, really interesting.

There's a dimension to the Chandler, I'm loving that on male vox very much, someone mentioned a slightly quirky high end and I kind of know what they mean. Totally lovely though.

No surprise that for me I enjoyed the Bock 251 on fem vox ...a lot! Too much for my wallet unfortunately!

Enjoyed the Manleys... and great job by Aston at the price point, amazing really.
Old 17th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyn View Post
Would have loved to have heard the new Ehrlund mics and of course Brauner.
The AT5040 was a pleasant surprise as was the Avantone - considering the price - it was a lot better sounding than I expected.
Ehrlund is juist a waste of time.
Nowhere to try it out despite living in Europe. I was willing to buy one to try. I contacted them many times, they hardly ever responded with anything.

Judging from that I would dread their support system.
Old 17th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeboi View Post
Ehrlund is juist a waste of time.
Nowhere to try it out despite living in Europe. I was willing to buy one to try. I contacted them many times, they hardly ever responded with anything.

Judging from that I would dread their support system.
Yup! Me too... They actually promised to send me one to try when they first announced but after that and a few emails later... Nada!

The videos sound amazing though... have they been swallowed up by some mythological Nordic beastie?
Old 20th September 2017
Probably. Their microphone are also no that easy to get a hold of due to very inactive distribution points. I also saw a few videos and was intrigued to try one out.
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

vocalists are acoustic instruments ..every one is different... add in an arraignment and there are more variables..so the best mic is the one that works best to fit the singer in the songs arraignment
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
This is not click bait, I promise. This is a question that I field every day.

"So of all the 50 mics, which one was the best?"

I have an opinion that I feel strongly about but I don't want to influence the input from others.
Quote:
You might guess what I'll say.

"That depends."
Great thread! Not click bait!
Old 29th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
There is no one best vocal mic. But there is a best kind of vocal mic. Simply put the LDC format has proven itself for well over half a century as the premire kind of mic to record vocals with. So it comes down to the LDC of your choice.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search