The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Preamp used on the REDD mic?
Old 2nd May 2017
  #1
Gear Head
 

Preamp used on the REDD mic?

My favourite mic so far on the male vocal is the REDD. However, that mic also has an internal preamp of course. Was that bypassed and the same pre used as on the other mics? Thanks!
1
Share
Old 2nd May 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJlo View Post
My favourite mic so far on the male vocal is the REDD. However, that mic also has an internal preamp of course. Was that bypassed and the same pre used as on the other mics? Thanks!
The REDD Microphone is the preamp, the pre is the mic. That is...they are one and not something to bypass. However, you can blend the REDD Mic with an external preamp to achieve even more tonal variety.

Maybe Lynn can opine on wether it was recorded direct to the converter or in conjunction with an external preamp.
Old 2nd May 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
jupiter8's Avatar
 

(we used the REDD with the +4 setting into the Millennia preamp)
3
Share
Old 2nd May 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8 View Post
(we used the REDD with the +4 setting into the Millennia preamp)
In drive or normal gain setting, assuming cardioid without low-contour?
Old 2nd May 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 
jupiter8's Avatar
 

"we decided to listen to all the mics in cardioid pattern with all switches in the OFF (bypassed) or normal position without any filters or alternate voicings."

Just read the Behind the scenes article,it's all in there.
1
Share
Old 2nd May 2017
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8 View Post
"we decided to listen to all the mics in cardioid pattern with all switches in the OFF (bypassed) or normal position without any filters or alternate voicings."

Just read the Behind the scenes article,it's all in there.
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/cr...-mic-shootout/
1
Share
Old 3rd May 2017
  #7
Gear Head
 

That clears things up, thanks!

Though it still makes me wonder.. Would another mic have sounded even better with that pre?

(obviously it's impossible to do that, this shootout is awesome )
Old 3rd May 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJlo View Post
That clears things up, thanks!

Though it still makes me wonder.. Would another mic have sounded even better with that pre?

(obviously it's impossible to do that, this shootout is awesome )

FWIW If you'd like to hear the REDD Microphone directly into a converter, sans external preamplifier... there's a mono take male vocal/ac gtr. here below the video. This was in Cardioid, drive mode, +27db gain on the mic, without low-contour, no processing. The mic was about 3' off the artist, and pointed at his chest.
Old 3rd May 2017
  #9
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f View Post
FWIW If you'd like to hear the REDD Microphone directly into a converter, sans external preamplifier... there's a mono take male vocal/ac gtr. here below the video. This was in Cardioid, drive mode, +27db gain on the mic, without low-contour, no processing. The mic was about 3' off the artist, and pointed at his chest.
Pff nice!

But the Redd47 preamp sounds great too in demos..

At least I can console myself in the fact that I'm temporarily broke
Old 3rd May 2017
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f View Post
In drive or normal gain setting, assuming cardioid without low-contour?
Normal setting. Gain on the mic at +4. Cardioid. No LF contour.

We could have offered 20 takes of the various sounds with just this one mic!
Old 3rd May 2017
  #11
Gear Head
 

I did some testing with some harmonic distortion on the other mic models. Helps a lot imo! I tried the Slate V72, Slate Neve, UAD Neve and UAD 610-B. Really liking the Manley Ref and tube 47 with the UAD Neve.
Old 4th May 2017
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Normal setting. Gain on the mic at +4. Cardioid. No LF contour.

We could have offered 20 takes of the various sounds with just this one mic!
So,
did the Redd mic go to the same pre as the others (therefore going through 2 pres) or did it go straight to the converters (using it's own internal pre)?
Old 4th May 2017
  #13
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
So,
did the Redd mic go to the same pre as the others (therefore going through 2 pres) or did it go straight to the converters (using it's own internal pre)?
It went through the same pre.
Old 9th May 2017
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Nice discussion. Nice test Sweetwater. I thought the REDD was hands-down the best. Coveted mid-range depth with top end sparkle. If I understand the test correctly, maybe we're hearing more the REDD preamp? With that in mind, shouldn't the question be "what would the other mics sound like going through a REDD pre-amp into the Millennia HV-3R"?
1
Share
Old 9th May 2017
  #15
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrey View Post
Nice discussion. Nice test Sweetwater. I thought the REDD was hands-down the best. Coveted mid-range depth with top end sparkle. If I understand the test correctly, maybe we're hearing more the REDD preamp? With that in mind, shouldn't the question be "what would the other mics sound like going through a REDD pre-amp into the Millennia HV-3R"?
Actually, you're hearing the REDD Microphone at it's lowest internal/onboard gain setting +4 in 'Normal' mode going into the Millenia preamp to make it conform to the rest for the purposes of the test. The REDD Microphone on its own directly into the converter even more fun.
Old 14th May 2017
  #16
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Having had the Redd mic for a bit and tried it with everything from other pres to compressors and eq's, imo on this test running it into a secondary mic amp stage kinda does it a disservice.
you need to hear it as a stand alone mic..not added gain stages[and color] after.
Redd directly into convertor.
Old 14th May 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Having had the Redd mic for a bit and tried it with everything from other pres to compressors and eq's, imo on this test running it into a secondary mic amp stage kinda does it a disservice.
you need to hear it as a stand alone mic..not added gain stages[and color] after.
Redd directly into convertor.
Agreed. I elaborated on this in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
....So basically the setup for the shootout amounted to the cleanest possible way to run the REDD mic. The shootout ran the REDD at its lowest internal gain setting of 4dB (Drive Switch off) and then made up the rest of the gain with the very clean Millennia pre. Eliminating much of the beautiful color this mic has to offer.
Old 15th May 2017
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Having had the Redd mic for a bit and tried it with everything from other pres to compressors and eq's, imo on this test running it into a secondary mic amp stage kinda does it a disservice.
you need to hear it as a stand alone mic..not added gain stages[and color] after.
Redd directly into convertor.
Despite this, it still sounded incredible. Saving my pennies..... jealous of you RoundBadge!
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump