The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Welcome to the Sweetwater Mic Shootout Forum Condenser Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolP View Post
Another engineer owning Manley Gold recently told me that Ref C does not have as much headroom.
Checking the specs on these Manley pages, the Max SPL spec is identical between those two mics: 150dB.

Reference Mono Gold | Manley Labs

Reference Cardioid | Manley Labs

That's the only info I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome to the Sweetwater Mic Shootout Forum-screen-shot-2017-11-10-9.22.53-am.png   Welcome to the Sweetwater Mic Shootout Forum-screen-shot-2017-11-10-9.23.08-am.png  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Love the sound of the Manley Gold!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Best male vocal mic?

Hi, I have a voice that I would describe as somewhat similar to Bryan Ferry, Dave Graham (Depeche Mode), and David Bowie. What microphone would you recommend for my home studio? I would rather pay the $$ than be unsatisfied with my purchase. I have a TLM103, but am not satisfied, even after having payed a relatively high price to get my recordings mixed. I run my mic through a Neve Portico 5032 and a Warm Audio WA76.

I was thinking of upgrading to an M147, but after reading the forums, I believe that I would not be able to make it sound good enough (I am far from an engineer). After reading a bit, there seems to be so many options... M149, Lawson L-47, Cactus, Flead, etc... For a voice like I have described, what would your experience lead you to recommend?

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgig View Post
Hi, I have a voice that I would describe as somewhat similar to Bryan Ferry, Dave Graham (Depeche Mode), and David Bowie. What microphone would you recommend for my home studio? I would rather pay the $$ than be unsatisfied with my purchase. I have a TLM103, but am not satisfied, even after having payed a relatively high price to get my recordings mixed. I run my mic through a Neve Portico 5032 and a Warm Audio WA76.

I was thinking of upgrading to an M147, but after reading the forums, I believe that I would not be able to make it sound good enough (I am far from an engineer). After reading a bit, there seems to be so many options... M149, Lawson L-47, Cactus, Flead, etc... For a voice like I have described, what would your experience lead you to recommend?

Thanks
I believe Bowie was partial to the Manley Gold mics from the early 2000s on, which many people describe as sounding in the C12 family. Of course, I've also read about him tracking many vocals with u67s and u47s in the older days.

Same with Bryan Ferry...I've read of him using u47s and also CM67SEs, which are u67-ish mics.

And 67s, 47s, and C12s are three pretty different sounding mics, so I don't know what that tells you. (Also I should add that I have never heard the Advanced Audio mic in person, so I don't know how close it is to an actual u67).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Finally downloaded the Hi-res files.

Standouts for me:

-Telefunken U47. For me this was the best hands down on BOTH voices.
-Sounddelux U99
-Manley Reference Gold

other standouts
-Avantone CV12 is pretty amazing given the price, but too bright for my taste. Sibilant.
-AT5040 Sounded really nice!
-Lauten LA320
-Shure KSM44
-Miktek CV4

To be honest I wasn't totally in love with the REDD mic even though I just ordered one. I felt that the high end sheen was a bit too much despite it's elegance and smoothness. Curious to hear it with the "Drive" knob pumped a bit.

Last edited by withintheflux; 1 week ago at 06:52 AM..
Old 5 days ago
I'm gonna get the Lauten 320 or 2 I think. It sounds like the Bock 251 in terms of that top.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I'm gonna get the Lauten 320 or 2 I think. It sounds like the Bock 251 in terms of that top.
Hey Paul....did you ever keep the REDD you were demoing? Why not use the red for that euphoric broad high?
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by withintheflux View Post
Hey Paul....did you ever keep the REDD you were demoing? Why not use the red for that euphoric broad high?
I got 2 now and I love them. I'm a collector and I like options. The Lauten sounds pretty good to me for the price.....
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Paul, thank you very much for the info !

Yes, you are right...... very near..... unbelievable.
And the Book 251 was one of my favorite mics.

Ordered just now a 320 stereo pair on my local musicshop.

Hope, it's a good decision

Keep also an eye on the Soundelux U99.

R.

Last edited by Rolf Ebitsch; 4 days ago at 09:46 PM..
Old 4 days ago
That Sweetwater Mic Shootout is really useful.
From beginners to old hands pros.

R.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
Paul, thank you very much for the info !

Yes, you are right...... very near..... unbelievable.
And the Book 251 was one of my favorite mics.

Ordered just now a 320 stereo pair on my local musicshop.

Hope, it's a good decision

Keep also an eye on the Soundelux U99.

R.
Thanks Man, funnily I just bought 2 also. I think that Lauten 320 is the bargain of the shootout.
Very similar to the 251's in the top end on my studio monitors and headphones.
I can't believe the price.....

I like the Soundelux U99 a lot, it has a beautiful mellow, mid range warmth, but I have that already with vintage U87, SM69 tube, Blackspade UM17B & Horch RMJ2.

Now with the 2 x REDD , 2 Sony C800G, my C24 and these I have the sweet top end covered plus a big collection of great ribbons.

I'm a very happy recordist. Thanks again @Lynn Fuston for these demonstrations!
Old 4 days ago
Wow a bit of OEKSoothe on that 320 and you can't tell it apart on my PMC IB2i's. I hope they all sound that good. Incredible value.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Damnit @Paul_G

Thought I was done testing mics. Nope, LA-320 coming tomorrow
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

Update: The Lauten LA320 is ridiculously good. Can't believe it's so cheap, it holds up against some £££ mics. Doesn't have the open/spacious top end of the bigger mics but pound-for-pound it's a champ.

Very good with sibilance and plosives too. Especially the latter.
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
I did my first vocal mic shootout with 49 mics back in 2000. Never thought I'd do that again. Moral of that story? "Never say never."

Apples to apples? All's fair in love and vocal mics. I've used condensers, dynamics, ribbons, even telephone receivers.

Thanks for the thx. I hope it was a good resource for the music industry.
I bought that product back then. It was an awesome eye opener for me as there was no real way to get hold of some of those you had in the shootout. It was very thoroughly and nicely done too.

Cheers for doing this again!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search