The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best hardware sampler? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 4th January 2012
Gear maniac

Best hardware sampler?

Hey people I'm doing some re-search for a university project I have and was wondering if I could have a few opinions on what you think the best hardware sampler is and why it is good (sound wise, easy of use or to program, unique functions stuff like that too). ASR? SP1200? S1000? S760? Etc...
Old 6th January 2012
Gear maniac

Anyone?
Old 14th January 2012
Gear interested

Korg Electribe ESX-1 is my personal fav. It's a full sampling/sequencing groovebox that's just at home in a studio or a DJ rig. MIDI syncs to ANYTHING, has great real-time performance features and quite complex filter/envelope/modulation controls with automation and tempo sync so you can include filter sweeps and modulation changes into your sequences. Also has a pretty respectable onboard FX processor. They've also slapped a couple tubes in there to boot.
It's clearly designed more for the techno/dance crowd.
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Addict

of course there is no BEST sampler. personally, I like the Roland S770 for the sound, the v-synth for its variphrase features, the EMU samplers for the filters, and the akai S6000 for its detachable screen If I had to have just one sampler, it would probably be an Emulator III.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Based on what criteria? Or what would be some factors your hold to be important? I can't even feasibly use some of the best sounding samplers stand alone anymore because they lack both sampling time, and features. Some of the most feature heavy samplers (stand alone), sound worse than my computer. I would actually say that my computer, combined with other hardware and software is the best sampler I have ever used. I don't think that is what you are asking though, lol.

If I had to choose a hardware sampler, I would say the Ensoniq ASR 10. It is colored, like many vintage samplers but not as much as some of the most popular vintage samplers. It falls right in between some of the most colored samplers, and something that is very accurate. It has just enough character without sacrifice. It has enough sample time to do almost anything you would reasonably do with a sampler, and uses that sample time uniquely to where once everything is in the machine, you don't loose sample time for copying the sample (as you are not copying audio). It has pretty vast editing features as well as great effects. It's only problem is that it can be a bit buggy sometimes and lacks swing functions.
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Addict

ASR10 and im selling one $250
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daillman View Post
ASR10 and im selling one $250
SCSI or not?
Old 23rd July 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by flextone View Post
of course there is no BEST sampler. personally, I like the Roland S770 for the sound, the v-synth for its variphrase features, the EMU samplers for the filters, and the akai S6000 for its detachable screen If I had to have just one sampler, it would probably be an Emulator III.
+1
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search