The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Desk Replacement. Design ideas?
Old 4th November 2014
Gear Nut

Desk Replacement. Design ideas?

Hi Guys,

As you can see from the link below, my studio desk is HUGE, FLAT and a REFLECTION FREAK... I need to change it...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10307123-post11.html

Can anyone suggest a DIY design?

My room measures 3.5m x 2.5m. I'm sitting facing the long wall
(Couldn't make it the other way round because I have 2 doors at opposite sides on the short walls.)

I have seen the Zaor Miza 88 desk. It looks very cool but way too expensive.

My main concern is reflections from the monitor speakers. So I need a design that minimizes reflections to the max possible.

Any desk design guru here?

Thanks guys
Old 4th November 2014
Lives for gear

A few pointers:

* Make the main work surface as shallow as possible.

* Mount screens low (bottom connecting with the main work surface) and in an angle so they are close to parallel with the imagined line from the acoustic axis from your speaker to the desk surface. Avoid tall screens.

* Add rack spaces at the sides in an angel (vertical plane), again close to parallel with the imagined line from the acoustic axis from your speaker to the desk surface. For practical convenience, you can also naturally angle the rack sections towards the operator in the horizontal plane.

* Avoid making anything larger than it has to be (thus avoiding objects for the direct sound field to diffract around and creating new sound sources causing early “reflections”).

* If you´re having issues with a SBIR related cancellation in the low frequency range due to the floor bounce (almost always an issue unless you´re using subs positioned on the floor, and X-over above this frequency); add a big standing panel (wool at the front facing your monitors) at the front of the desk (from the floor to the desk surface).

… oh; and one more thing; no speakers on the desk. Always on stands behind the desk (with some space in-between, normally dictated by an appropriate listening triangle) or flush in the wall if possible.
Old 4th November 2014
Lives for gear

I have KK Audio and they make some dope desks. they're expensive but you can probably mimic the dimensions and stuff.

edit: it appears KK Audio went out business
Old 4th November 2014
Gear Nut

Thankyou for your reply JENS EKLUND.

Can you kindly show me a picture of such a desk with the features you mentioned?

so that i can get an idea.

Thankyou
Old 4th November 2014
Lives for gear

Something like this:

Desk Replacement. Design ideas?-dual-screen-desk.gif
Old 4th November 2014
Gear Nut

I have just measured the reflection on the table using a mirror. It directly shows the speaker at 35 cms from the speaker. So my new table has to has a width somewhere between 35cm I reckon
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear

Do yourself a favor and throw that mirror away ...:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/stud...on-issues.html

In order to see the actual real-world issues (and all of them); use the ETC.
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Nut

well I won't throw it away because it made me understand better how many bad reflections my current desk has at the moment...

Thankyou for linking that. Although half of the posts are deleted by the moderator :(

The picture of the desk you just posted is the best case scenario I think. But it feels like more suited for a mastering engineer than for a project studio like my needs. Although I'll try my best to keep the minimalist approach in mind!

I have to understand better how the ETC on REW works now.

Anyone else with success desk design stories? Maybe with pictures of actual desks showing position of monitors as well?
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Nut

This is the ETC for my room. I am seeing a very big spike up at 20ms. Can anyone give me a better review on this reading please?

Thankyou
Attached Thumbnails
Desk Replacement. Design ideas?-etc.png  
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Nut

You mean a desk table like this Jens Eklund?
Attached Thumbnails
Desk Replacement. Design ideas?-wavenature4.jpg  
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear

Reflections caused by the desk (or objects near the desk) arrive within the first couple of ms. 20 ms is not desk related, and is actually so late that it can be constructive for the acoustic response (read up on LEDE/RFZ).

Adjust the scales to cover only about 0 to -30 dB and 0 to 10 ms to get a better view of your early reflections. Judging from what can be seen; it doesn’t look too bad.

That desk might be ok assuming the speakers are quite far from the desk. If relatively close; such a deep desk will cause quite a sever reflection from the main surface. I you cannot make the desk shallower; use angled surfaces to redirect the reflection away from the sweet spot.
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Nut

Angled facing the listener or facing the wall ? 1/ or 2\ ?

Thanks for your time replying Jens
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear

Desk Replacement. Design ideas?-dual-screen-desk-deeper.gif
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Nut

There is my updated ETC curve as suggested. I am seeing some early reflections here...
Attached Thumbnails
Desk Replacement. Design ideas?-etc.png  
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear

Yup, the spikes between 0 and 2 ms looks like desk related reflections from a less than perfect desk. The clutter in-between those spikes might be diffraction from the edges of the desk or objects nearby.

The spike at 6 ms is a tad too late to be desk related. Sidewalls or ceiling might be the cause of that.

Try to get the first spikes down to at least -15 dB. Closer to -20 dB would be excellent but those last couple of dBs down are very hard to achieve.
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Nut

will Do. Thankyou for your very valuable help Jens! Really uselfull indeed!

I'll guess i'll redesign my acoustics for my studio as well a new desk.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

Your welcome! Good luck with your desk.
Old 7th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

can you buy this desk? who makes it?

Last edited by dwp2659; 7th November 2014 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: added pic
Old 14th November 2014
Gear Nut

I've been trying to mimic this desk: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/phot...udio-desk.html

Trying to figure out the measurements so I can get the wood cut have been maddening. >_<
Old 4th March 2015
Gear Maniac

I think it's a Wavenature desk (from Deutschland).
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear