The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
garage studio, new build, isolate from street noise
Old 6th August 2014
  #1
Lives for gear
 

garage studio, new build, isolate from street noise

I'm building a house in the side of a hill. The garage and basement being street level and 2 floors above that are living. I'm going to convert the garage and basement into a post 7.1 mix space with a ADR, Foley, lounge multi function room in the basement next to it. I can do what I want to at this stage and I'm starting to speak with the architect about the build.

What would be the best strategy for de coupling, isolating the building from the street. It's not a busy street, maybe 10 cars an hour to the houses down the road, I just don't want to be shooting a VO or something and have a car drive by all over the take.

Will standard concrete slab with room within a room will decently control the street noise? I can do something nuts like 3, 5/8 inch drywall sheets on the inner room if that's what it takes. Any other ideas? I'm worried about flanking from the road to the concrete slab the garage will sit on.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 6th August 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

The first thing that stands out in its absence is the size, including the height of the shell (exterior surfaces). A layout is needed. Figure 20% of your interior , inside the inner walls, will be taken up by walls.

Foley requires the quietest envronments. What is your budget for HVAC?

Andre
Old 6th August 2014
  #3
Gear Guru
Pro

Hire a Pro Brandon, it will be better and most likely cheaper.
DD
Old 7th August 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
The first thing that stands out in its absence is the size, including the height of the shell (exterior surfaces). A layout is needed. Figure 20% of your interior , inside the inner walls, will be taken up by walls.

Foley requires the quietest envronments. What is your budget for HVAC?

Andre
The room will be 500 sqft with 11 foot ceilings. I'm not worried about hvac as I built a studio last year and the hvac is extremely quiet and I personally installed, made the ducts and all. I don't have any questions about hvac. I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion on isolating street noise that's on the same level as my recording room without floating the room. I actually don't think I'll have a problem at this point as the basement has to be totally underground due to housing restrictions in my area.
Old 7th August 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
The room will be 500 sqft with 11 foot ceilings. I'm not worried about hvac as I built a studio last year and the hvac is extremely quiet and I personally installed, made the ducts and all. I don't have any questions about hvac. I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion on isolating street noise that's on the same level as my recording room without floating the room. I actually don't think I'll have a problem at this point as the basement has to be totally underground due to housing restrictions in my area.
Which room will be 500 ft²? Your first post
implies at least 4 rooms:

Control/mix room,
ADR room,
Foley room, and
Lounge

Without noise surveys it is impossible to know what isolation has to be built. 5 or 6 cars an hour in the middle of a take are just as disruptive as continuous traffic.

Andre
Old 7th August 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Which room will be 500 ft²? Your first post
implies at least 4 rooms:

Control/mix room,
ADR room,
Foley room, and
Lounge

Without noise surveys it is impossible to know what isolation has to be built. 5 or 6 cars an hour in the middle of a take are just as disruptive as continuous traffic.

Andre
The foly, ADR, lounge are the same room. Simply one 500sqft multi use room. It will be indet a hill of dirt at this point. I think that will be fine. I don't do much recording. I mostly mix tv shows. 2 studios ago I built a room within a room close to a street and the noise wasn't a factor. Thanks for all the help. I think my architect answered my question with a submerged basement
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump