The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Green Glue alternatives
Old 27th January 2020
Here for the gear

May I add something to explain why the Green glue works and why silicone for example doesn't. The principle is called constrained layered damping and applies in sandwich constructions like sheet/green_glue_compound/sheet. It is pretty well illustrated on https://www.ultrafonic.com.au/soundproofing

Even after long time the Green Glue compound retains very low elasticity, which makes it resistant to any movement (vibration) of the two sheets it is applied in between. Low elasticity means it will resist the movement in one direction, but then it will also resist the return movement in the opposite direction. On the contrary, the materials which become elastic (like silicone i.e.) would resist the movement in one direction, but then stimulate the return movement in the opposite direction, thus keeping the whole sandwich elastic, instead of dampening it.
So, every material which would keep very low elasticity in time is suitable for dampening. The materials which become highly elastic (silicone, polyurethane,...) or harden with time (bitumen based materials i. e.) are not suitable.
Old 10th February 2020
Gear Head

I’ve been reading lots in prep for building my studio, similarly coming across GG. But then I saw this YouTube video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Qi42E5I9c

Thoughts?
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

Well, the dude has a great pony tail.

But if he’s either doubting the efficacy of gg, or claiming that the published lab test results are false, or refuting the accepted use of gg in critical systems across all building styles....then he’s an idiot

I have no idea who this guy is or what he’s selling, but he is WRONG in his assessment of gg. If he doesn’t know what structural flanking is, he’s not equipped to give acoustic advice.

I was working in one of the labs where gg was exhaustively rested. I saw repeated results that no other similar product could match. It works.

End of story

Pony tail dude’s breakdown is factually inaccurate.

Gg is not an adhesive. It remains permanently flexible as it never fully cures.

The cost per tube is roughly $10. You can use 1 tube per 4x8 sheet and get the same results as 2 .

So the cost per sq’ is about $3. Which is very slightly more than a sheet of Sheetrock. So his price breakdown is also inaccurate.

My thoughts are: great hair, purposeful or willfully ignorant misrepresentation of facts and axe to grind.
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

All you need to know:

Dude sells “acoustic foam”.

His main area of expertise appears to be his emphatic and authoritarian style of speaking misinformation as fact.

Last edited by norton; 10th February 2020 at 03:07 PM..
Old 12th February 2020
Gear Head

Thank you for clearing that up for me...! Seems like a good investment,

Next question.. Im in Ecuador, South America... Anyone know of any suppliers of GG in these parts?!?!
Old 25th April 2020
Gear Head

Just finished building an fee standing wood framed studio.
Plan on double drywalling the exterior walls.
Has anyone ever sandwiched some 30# tar paper between sheets?
Seems like they do knock down some sound?
Thanx for the reply...Jimi.
Old 25th April 2020
Lives for gear

Tar paper or ice and water is Waste of time and effort and it’ll stink up the room for months. Even inside the wall.

Your best bet is decoupling and endless mass. If you don’t want to put 4 layers of drywall on then use gg.
Old 25th April 2020
Lives for gear

Tar paper or ice and water is Waste of time and effort and it’ll stink up the room for months. Even inside the wall.

Your best bet is decoupling and endless mass. If you don’t want to put 4 layers of drywall on then use gg.
Old 26th April 2020
Lives for gear

I am probably one of the few persons that has tested Green Glue independently back in 2010 !

The product works. You can check the results in my website at:

https://www.someacustica.com/products/green-glue/

If you scroll down, one of the images is in spanish but it shows a Rw of around 60 dB for a typical double wall. Also posted are official lab results from GG website.

In fact, we even got better results since we used lots of Silen Seal, in order to make the wall as solid and sealed as possible.
Old 26th April 2020
Lives for gear

I also was part of a team testing gg Et al in an independent lab. We worked very closely with the start up up through and well into the saint GoBain buy out.

Too many tests to count. Maybe over 7 years ??

Old data, to be sure. But it’s still valid.

If you’re in a free standing space and have the volume to use 3 or 4 layers of sheet material (5/8” rock) and you’re shooting for the lab style iso numbers then you don’t need gg. The added mass will be a better performing system.

BUT, if you live in the real world with limited space and want the biggest bang for your effort and $$...then use gg.
Old 27th April 2020
Lives for gear

That is great !

Our testes were quite similar to the ones displayed on the GG website in terms of general R'w, around 60 dB using 2 layers 15 mm GIB each side plus 70 mm air cavity rockwool

The major difference we had was at 100 Hz, where we got a surprising result even without using Resilient Channel of 40 dB...

That could be due to the larger cavity and the very well sealed wall, although there are always uncertainty at those frequencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I also was part of a team testing gg Et al in an independent lab. We worked very closely with the start up up through and well into the saint GoBain buy out.

Too many tests to count. Maybe over 7 years ??

Old data, to be sure. But it’s still valid.

If you’re in a free standing space and have the volume to use 3 or 4 layers of sheet material (5/8” rock) and you’re shooting for the lab style iso numbers then you don’t need gg. The added mass will be a better performing system.

BUT, if you live in the real world with limited space and want the biggest bang for your effort and $$...then use gg.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear