The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Setting up home studio -- funky room shape & studio upright piano
Old 27th March 2014
Here for the gear

Setting up home studio -- funky room shape & studio upright piano

Hi all -- So I'm setting up my home studio in my basement room. I've done some basic research, and I'm getting ready to treat the walls. However, I'm not totally sure on the ideal placements for things and would greatly appreciate any feedback. There's a few tricky things I'd appreciate advice on. Here's a very crude "drawing" of the room:

<------ ~13' long -------------->
ppp......................................
ppp......................................
ppp..............................M.....
ppp...................................... (WALL 1: ~8')
ppp........................C...........
<--3ft-->.............................
XXXXXXX.....................M.....
XXXXXXX.............................
XXXXXXX<-door---~10'-------->

So the "p" in the diagram is where we put my studio upright piano mostly because it's a near perfect fit. The nook is about five feet wide and three feet deep. I have my production table about three feet from the wall on the right (wall 1) so that my monitors (M) are about two and a half feet from wall 1 and three feet from the side walls and my listening chair (C) is about four feet from wall 1.

So my questions are: (1) is this the best place for the piano? (2) I have Yamaha MS5s, and the manual says they should be at least 1.5 meters from the wall, but I am only around two feet from the wall because my room is small, and I wanted to keep my listening chair away from the middle of the room. Is this the best place for the desk, monitors, & chair? And should I be using the room control switch on my Yamahas because they are too close to the wall? (3) The front of my monitors are pointed toward the wall with the piano, so I can only treat the part of the three foot part of the wall with absorption; I don't know what to do about the piano and if it will mess things up, cause reflections, etc.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice!
Old 27th March 2014
JWL
Lives for gear

I think piano recordings will sound best if you can get the piano as far away from walls as possible. If I'm reading your diagram correctly, the room is quite small so this will be a challenge. I do understanding wanting a spot for the piano that is out of the way and yet sounds good.

Perhaps the best compromise would be to keep the piano in the alcove, but cover all the walls of the alcove with as much thick absorption as possible (4" panels minimum, 6" is even better for DIY panels). In particular the lower part of the alcove, so that there is absorption between the walls and the piano itself. Higher up you can use panels across wall/ceiling corners to maximize the bass trapping.
Old 28th March 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks so much! The problem is that the alcove is really tight -- there's room behind for panels (in the diagram that would be the left side) but zero room on the sides. I put it there when we moved in mainly because it's a perfect fit & I was primarily concerned with space. Now I'm learning more about how to set up for recording & sound is more of a factor.

Dumb question: Why do I want to get the piano away from walls?

Thanks again!
Old 28th March 2014
Here for the gear

I am also curious about the fact that the piano is behind my production table -- not directly but behind my left so the right monitor would probably reflect off of it? I could shift my table to the right (toward the bottom in the diagram) but then I'd have my right monitor much closer to a side wall than my left monitor. I don't know which is a worse option?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search