The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need some quick tips on treating this small room Modular Synthesizers
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls View Post

That's good to know, so more traps can reveal the root cause of the problem.
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Nut

Here's a room layout with absorption panels:

[IMG][/IMG]

What do you think? I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I do something about the lower left corner or just leave it?

2. Is my listening spot too far from the 6'' panel at the back wall? Should I move the speakers and listening spot further back? (right now it's 1 foot from the wall)

3. What should be panel thickness for the panels at the side, behind the speakers and cloud? (I have 3'' and 6'' options)

4. Is one panel for the cloud enough? or should I add more.

5. Is one panel at the back wall enough? or should I add more.

Any other suggestions are welcome!
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Nut

Here's a room layout with absorption panels:

What do you think? I have a couple of questions.

2. Is my listening spot too far from the 6'' panel at the back wall? Should I move the speakers and listening spot further back? (right now it's 1 foot from the wall) And maybe move the speakers farther apart?

3. What should be panel thickness for the panels at the side, behind the speakers and cloud? (I have 3'' and 6'' options)

Old 31st March 2014
Here for the gear

Sorry, i cant really help at all but im just looking into sorting a room almost the same size! i really like the look of your absorption, did you build it yourself? if so what guide did you follow? Are they proving to work well so far?
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
You can always use something on a stand or just skip that corner for now.

Quote:
2. Is my listening spot too far from the 6'' panel at the back wall? Should I move the speakers and listening spot further back? (right now it's 1 foot from the wall) And maybe move the speakers farther apart?
If anything you would want to move the speakers closer to the wall to try to shift SBIR higher in frequency.

Quote:
6" if you have the 2 options.

Quote:
I would go with 2 or 3 depending on if you can.

Quote:
More is better for the back wall.

Quote:
Over all you have a nice layout so move forward.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

My calculations show that it SHOULD have an RT60 of 0.16 with a permissible rise from 200 Hz down to 60 Hz to 0.2 seconds.

You HAVE to have more trapping. I would recommend the entire ceiling and side walls - at least 4" thick. Really.
The BACK wall should have AT LEAST 6" of trapping across - full to the top.. and sides.

You can place reflective slats or panels behind the screen and speakers. Also you can put angled slatting on the sides BEHIND the listening area.. at least behind the ears of the last row. (if there is room for rows)
You can put slats in a binary pattern on the side walls beginning AT the ear of the listener all the way to the back.
Do NOT put any reflective surfaces on the back wall. If you must have something there, use a Primitive Room design. A 2D PRD fits the bill here.. use Prime 523. If you cut the parts to 1 3/8" square, the thing will measure out 39 7/8" by 24 3/4".

Cheers,
John
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut

Thank you so much!

Right now given the time and budget I have covering the ceiling is not feasible. So I plan to cover where the front wall and back wall meet with the ceiling, and add some cloud panels above the listening area.

As for back wall, I will try my best to follow your advice.

Another thing I think might do harm to room acoustics is my computer desk (the room was first designed to be my home office, now I do less of that so I am converting it to a listening room but still want to keep the desk there for computer use), it's 64'' L by 29'' W, so given the room size there is about 32'' of space from either side of the desk to wall. And my floorstanding speakers will be placed there (ordered, not shipped yet), so if I don't consider replacing with a smaller desk, what should I do to minimize any negative acoustics caused by the desk? I am thinking to place the speakers so that the woofer are in line with the front edge of the desk.

One more question regarding the placement of panels behind floorstanding speakers. Should they be centered at my ear's level or lower since the height of the speakers is very close to the height of the panels.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

It depends how tall the speakers stand.
If they are the right height, you could sit them behind the desk, and still have no reflection from it.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls View Post
It depends how tall the speakers stand.
If they are the right height, you could sit them behind the desk, and still have no reflection from it.
They are floorstanding speakers, not sure what you meant by speaker stand. For the bottom pad maybe like 2 inches.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah well it just depends on the desk and speakers. Sometimes you can get away with things, other times not.
Old 23rd April 2014
Gear Nut

So I added ceiling trap (see: Build ceiling cloud (almost full coverage))

Here's the REW result:

Right now the biggest problem is the nulls at 130 Hz and 67 Hz, is this the best I can get given my square room dimensions? I can't affect these two nulls no matter how I position my three bass traps.

p.s. Placing bass traps behind monitors made no difference.
Attached Files
File Type: mdat with ceiling traps.mdat (746.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

What about placing traps where the wall(s) meet the ceiling(s)?
Old 23rd April 2014
Gear Nut

I move speakers back about 4 inches and moved mic forward about a foot, and I got this:

[IMG][/IMG]

Oh man this sound stuff is so strange and difficult, I never realized that inches can make such a huge difference.

My goal is <10dB peak to peak, I am happy with the setup now.
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
.... Oh man this sound stuff is so strange and difficult, I never realized that inches can make such a huge difference.

.. and now the fun begins.

Cheers,
John
Old 23rd April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I move speakers back about 4 inches and moved mic forward about a foot, and I got this:

[IMG][/IMG]

Oh man this sound stuff is so strange and difficult, I never realized that inches can make such a huge difference.

Proper placement can yield some great results and it is free!!
Old 23rd April 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijome07 View Post
What about placing traps where the wall(s) meet the ceiling(s)?
it's all been treated, the ceiling trap extends to all sides.
Old 24th April 2014
Gear Nut

Waterfall graph shows a fairly long decay at 27 Hz, can this be reasonably treated?
Old 24th April 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:

I had this exact same thing happen in a similarly sized room (although mine is not as badly a "square" as this room is.)

Crazy how just 1-2 inches CAN and WILL matter for sub-1kHz stuff! FWIW, I just keep adding more and more broadband absorption in my room (12" thick in places, 6" thick in others), and the REW results keep steadily improving. Best of luck!

I also want to give a shout out to Glenn and jhbrandt... I'm a long time GS lurker and reader, but just recently made an account. These 2 have given more good acoustics information than anyone could possibly ask for -- and the coolest thing; all of it can be put into practice, tested, and verified. Watching my REW results improve drastically after putting into practice advice from years of reading posts from these 2 guys and a few others here on GS has been an awesome (and sonically rewarding) experience.
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you, MRJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJ STUDIOS View Post
....Crazy how just 1-2 inches CAN and WILL matter for sub-1kHz stuff! FWIW, I just keep adding more and more broadband absorption in my room (12" thick in places, 6" thick in others), and the REW results keep steadily improving. Best of luck!
A big +1!
Cheers,
John
Old 24th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I also want to give a shout out to Glenn and jhbrandt
Thanks... We do try to help as much as possible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search