The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundproof door handle/shutter, refrigerator alike
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head

Soundproof door handle/shutter, refrigerator alike

Hello,
Does anybody know how these shutters/handles are called in english?
If somebody knows where to find something like this (except for the site I've posted about), it's very welcome to share it. These are basically big refrigerator shutters, adapted for sound proof studio doors, I've seen those shutters in a lot of studios here in athens, greece, they really seal the door in a perfect way, and I managed to find where to buy them here in greece (the link I posted), but, as you can see, the price is too much for me, but I absolutely need two of these.
I'd prefer european shops/companies, but anyway, if you know something, post it!
thanks
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

If you have no need to lock the door and want an airtight seal then why not just use a regular screw-on handle?

Call the local studios that have these and see where they got theirs.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

hi,
what do you mean exactly when you say regular screw-on handle?
something like this?
if you mean something like this, that's what we have, and that's a problem because we have to slam the door several times before it closes, and the door is obviously a heavy wooden door, so not the best thing for the walls. we specifically need the shutter in my first post, I found a shop that sells it, but it's rather too expensive in my opinion, so I'm asking if anybody knows how they're called in english, or directly where can I find them in europe (obviously from the web).
Old 22nd October 2013
Deleted User
Try 'compression latch' or 'cam latch'
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
if you mean something like this, that's what we have, and that's a problem because we have to slam the door several times before it closes, and the door is obviously a heavy wooden door, so not the best thing for the walls.
What is keeping the door from closing? Does it rub against the jamb, or are the seals keeping it from closing? And if you aren't using a lockset, what KEEPS it closed, once it "closes"? Do you have any kind of latch or is it kept in place by friction of a seal?

I ask this because the page you linked to the "shutter" was impossible to figure out. I have no idea what a shutter is..other than one of these...

Door Closers - Doorware.com

It's called a Door Closer. Which in essence is..a Door Shutter.heh
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfork View Post
What is keeping the door from closing? Does it rub against the jamb, or are the seals keeping it from closing? And if you aren't using a lockset, what KEEPS it closed, once it "closes"? Do you have any kind of latch or is it kept in place by friction of a seal?

I ask this because the page you linked to the "shutter" was impossible to figure out. I have no idea what a shutter is..other than one of these...

Door Closers - Doorware.com

It's called a Door Closer. Which in essence is..a Door Shutter.heh
Well, I don't really know how to call that thing, I wrote shutter, but probably it's the wrong term. You'll find attached in this message two photos of the "handle" I'm talking about, mounted on a recording studio door. They are like old type refrigerator/cooling chamber latches, I don't know...nothing to do with the link you gave me as you can see. Also compression latch or cam latch brought up results that are somehow close, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Hope these photos will clarify, but maybe it's just something that are using here in greece...who knows.
Oh, and, the door(s) need to be slammed 'cause we have some layers of adhesive seal where the door sits on the jamb,and a lockset is what is keeping it closed,
Attached Thumbnails
Soundproof door handle/shutter, refrigerator alike-2013-06-03-10.53.42.jpg   Soundproof door handle/shutter, refrigerator alike-2013-06-03-10.54.05.jpg   Soundproof door handle/shutter, refrigerator alike-2013-06-03-11.06.15.jpg   Soundproof door handle/shutter, refrigerator alike-315497_4707320403925_1488429108_n.jpg  
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hope these photos will clarify, but maybe it's just something that are using here in greece...who knows.
Holy moly. I worked for years at a high end Architectural mill and Store Fixture company and I have NEVER seen a residential door cam latch like those in the pics. Only smaller versions for cabinetry, equipment and various vehicle cam locks. Amazing. Ok, well, the only thing I can think of that would come close are these....

Handles
R4 - Rotary Latches - Southco
Refrigerated Truck Body Hinge Refrigerated Truck Body Latch and Hardware

Even if you could find them here, considering shipping costs, you may have to bite the bullet and get them in Greece, since they are already used over there. Funny though. Those are a perfect solution. The idea is so simple it was used for years on window latches etc. But finding one now for a regular residential door? Ha! Well..good luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search