The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording with Bass Traps
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Recording with Bass Traps

Hey guys...so unfortunately due to space limitations I am stuck tracking and mixing in the same room. It's been working for me pretty well but now I'm in the process of building some bass traps for the walls and corners with OC 703...my question is, will this change the sound of my recordings? Also, should I use a combination of foil covered OC 703 in combination with the regular? Thanks a lot for the help, I just want to make sure that while trying to improve my mixing conditions I'm not taking away anything from my tracking conditions.

Nico
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

So your question is "if i change the sound of my room... will this change the sound of my room?"

Yes.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Also, should I use a combination of foil covered OC 703 in combination with the regular?
Sure or better yet you can use a slat design over the bass traps to help retain/diffuse/scatter the upper energy.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
So your question is "if i change the sound of my room... will this change the sound of my room?"

Yes.
Not particularly. The root of the question was if adding bass traps to the room would have negative effects for tracking. I'm familiar with bass traps and why they help with mixing but as for tracking I'm not aware if they positively or negatively effect the sound of the room, etc. Not trying to ask a stupid question, just trying to learn new things and become more educated. Thanks for the help!
Old 23rd October 2013
JWL
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Zottos View Post
The root of the question was if adding bass traps to the room would have negative effects for tracking.
Absolutely not. Bass traps will make everything sound better.

RealTraps - Acoustic Basics

RealTraps - Recording Strategies
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Think of a room as a sophisticated EQ and delay, and adding a bass trap would be like mixing more dry signal in
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Okay great, that helps a lot! Thanks guys.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search