The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Monitor Placement In Small "Precarious" Room
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

Monitor Placement In Small "Precarious" Room

Hey guys, first time post, hoping for some insight on the room I'm currently treating. The room is to be used for mixing as well as recording instrumentation layer by layer (unfortunately due to size). I will attach a floor layout of the room with dimensions as well, so those willing to help can get a better understanding of the room.

The room is an addition to the house as a "sun" room so it is uninsulated, and made up mostly by seven large windows and one sliding glass door as well a rather large, recessed skylight about 2'x2', recessed its located in the center of section 2 . I'm trying to figure out the best possible location for my monitors in this room ( it is the only room I have the option of right now).

In the layout where section 1 is, is where the monitors are now, on a desk on top of Arualex pads, about one foot from the wall which is mostly made of 2 windows with about 17 inches of room on either side of the desk. I chose this location because its the longest throw of the room. I'am wondering if the windows making up 3/4 of the three closest walls to the monitors, the other 1/4 being sheet rock, is the best location for the monitors?

At the moment I have 2, 2"x2'x4' absorption panels on either sides of the monitors at the first reflections points. I have four more panels to finish making and hang, making it so their will be 2 panels on each of the three closest walls to the monitors where they currently are. The panels are rockboard 60 and have a 2" gap from the walls. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just started really diving into acoustic treatment so please feel free to school me Also if any other pictures would be of help lmk I can upload them easily. Thanks in advance!

-Pat B.
Attached Thumbnails
Monitor Placement In Small "Precarious" Room-floorlayoutstudiobuild01.jpg  
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Go with ceiling treatments, you need to absorb some sound away from that hard surface. The windows will leak a ton of bass and if you open them, you might not even get any axial modes.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Hey thanks for the quick response its appreciated, I'll have to read up on axial modes as I'am clueless to that terminology right now, but thats good to know as I saw the windows as an extremely reflective surface, actually I saw them as my worst enemy maybe I'm wrong here it seems to some degree. Do you think absorption on the winows would hurt though? I'd assume no, but then I am here asking the questions so...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search