The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I just put monitors on stands
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

I just put monitors on stands

And now no matter how i remix things it sounds hollow to the point of making my head and ears hurt like theres pressure. Also the stands have now sufficiently coupled things to the floor. :/ carpeted floor has major bass thumping, never did before.

I use to do things all low brow having my monitors on shelves that were anchored in to the wall. I thought i was gonna be slick with stands but its not working out.

Two other things i did at the same time i put in the stands: added an acoustic treble trap panel on the wall behind me, and moved the desk to the center of the room instead of over by the corner.

Whats going on here?
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Position & orientation is almost everything. More information about your setup and room is needed.
Cheers,
John

Sent from my SM-N900
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

square-ish room. im set up in the center on one wall. acoustic panel behind my monitor, one directly behind me with a big couch. 32 inch equilateral triangle between me and monitors.

what other info am I leaving out?
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicmoz View Post
square-ish room. im set up in the center on one wall. acoustic panel behind my monitor, one directly behind me with a big couch. 32 inch equilateral triangle between me and monitors.

what other info am I leaving out?
I'm running this test to see in what bass frequencys i have problems. You can run it also The Ultimate Headphones Test Run the 10 Hz >> 200 Hz
+ Voice Over
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Bionicmoz;9519005]......
what other info am I leaving out?[QUOTE]

A drawing, dimensions (height, width, depth), speaker model, position of doors & windows, photos, please.

Cheers,
John

Sent from my SM-N900
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

now ive got a monitor that snaps and cuts out a little at aarticular point in a piece. I had been having a few digital static snaps before the move, then I replugged some stuff and it stopped. now its back

I have a session tmrw and need to fix this today.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

The problem, is the stands themselves.

You are better off spending 40/50£/$ on concrete blocks that you build into column for each speaker.
Mass is your friend here.
If you can - glue a wood perimeter around the top blocks, fill with 2/3 inches of sand, and pop the speakers on that
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Well.... I think that may be stretching it a bit.

OP,
You need to TREAT your room. Especially with deep trapping in the corners and on the back wall. THAT is where your issues lie.

The distance of the LF driver to the ceiling & floor will also affect how room resonances are driven.

When you move the source (speakers) or the listener (you), the room response will shift. It's a dance that you must master.

Cheers,
John

Sent from my SM-N900
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Guru

You want to face the short wall not the long wall in this room, from what I can tell.
Positioning the Listening Spot |

Quote:
You need to TREAT your room. Especially with deep trapping in the corners and on the back wall. THAT is where your issues lie.
Plus one!

Here are some videos to guide you through the process
Educational Videos |
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search