The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Elac Jet Dispersion Control
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Elac Jet Dispersion Control

What do you experts think. Does it make sense?
Here's the description on Elac's webpage:
"The JET DC is best suited for rooms with little sound absorption at high frequencies, especially for rooms with large windows without curtains or with a smooth floor without a carpet."
(ELAC – Klang lebt – JET Dispersion Control (JET DC))

Elac is held in high regard here in Germany, they are building their own AMT-tweeters (like Adam). And the speaker-units for "The Rock" are made by Elac.
THE ROCK | Unity Audio |

Here are pictures of the Jet-tweeter without and with the dispersion control:

Tweeter with Jet-Dispersion Control:

I don't expect miracles, but do you think it's more a voodoo-thing or it can at least improve the situation in rooms with little sound absorption?

Dirk
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
do you think it's more a voodoo-thing or it can at least improve the situation in rooms with little sound absorption?
I've never seen or heard this in person, so I can offer only a few general comments:

1) I would never second guess a speaker designer by adding a contraption on top of what they decided was the correct design.

2) Speaker dispersion as relates to side-wall reflections is simple to improve the proper way by adding absorption at those places on the side walls.

So if it were me, I'd treat the walls, which is known to be effective, rather than screw around with some add-on do-hickey.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
1) I would never second guess a speaker designer by adding a contraption on top of what they decided was the correct design.
Unless tissue paper over NS-10 tweeters!
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Tissue paper on an NS10 tweeter is also harmful. I saw an article with graphs years ago showing the comb filtering that adds, as sound waves at the highest frequencies bounce back and forth between the tweeter cone and the back side of the paper.

--Ethan
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Tissue paper on an NS10 tweeter is also harmful. I saw an article with graphs years ago showing the comb filtering that adds, as sound waves at the highest frequencies bounce back and forth between the tweeter cone and the back side of the paper.

--Ethan
Lighten up Lucy, I was kidding. Note the
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Lighten up Lucy, I was kidding

Hey..we don nee no stinkin kidding here..cause we're serious.

not.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search