The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rod Gervias Studio Door
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Rod Gervias Studio Door

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me out here.

I am looking to construct a double door between my live room and control room. A partition wall has been built around 12 inches in front off the existing wall, for greater sound isolation.

The double door construction in Rod's book show just one door lining going across across both wall frames with compressed rockwool between the frame and lining. As I have quite a big gap bewteen the doors, could I have the doors hinged on separate frames? I have 30mm lining already on one door, so was hoping I could et another and not use the compressed rockwool as the frames will not be touching.

Cheers
Jake
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Are your partitions 2x6 (or better)?

Rod
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Hi Rod, they are 2x4 on one frame and 2x6 on the other.

Thanks
Jake
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I am not real crazy about 2x4 walls that are open on one side supporting the weight of a door long term........ the studs tend to get loose over time and rotate.......

It is not something I would do.......

If the remainder of your construction is done with care - this is not something I would worry about..........

The doors at Power Station have thru-frames like that and they still have great isolation........

Rod
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

One way to attack this would be to make the frames out of high grade plywood....... that would deal with the spread issue between the wall frames.

ROd
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks! Yes the walls are very solid and constructed greatly by a carpenter. The frames I have are 30mm hardwood firedoor frames. So if done this way will I need to use compressed rockwool?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Jake,

I seem to be missing something here - I know the frames you have don't work, I offered you a solution that would.........

I believe it would be unwise to install these doors with split frames - this because no matter how well your carpenter built the 2x4 framing - it is most probably going to work loose over time, and fixing it is going to be a PITA.......

I am (however) not understanding the question about the compressed rockwool........

If the door frame was not split the only rockwool you would have would be the material between the door frame and the jamb (filing the spaces in between the shims)...

Please explain..........

Rod

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search