The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Control room and live room in the same room
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Control room and live room in the same room

I've been thinking about trying to start my own studio. My initial though was that the easiest (and cheapest) space would be a practice space for bands. They are relatively easy to come by here (Gothenburg, Sweden) and can be found for ok prices. Of course I need one that isn't shared by any other bands so I can leave all my gear there and not worry about other people using it.

I want to keep this very budget to start out with, seeing as I'm relatively new to this but want to get started as it seems like the best way to learn. My question is can I get away with having one room, so the control room and live room are the same room? Since all practice spaces are only one room this would be ideal since the cost of building a wall will most likely be quite high and would make both spaces much smaller (they probably won't be huge to start with).

Obviously I won't be able to listen through my monitors while recording, I'd have to listen through headphones. But will I really even be able to hear anything from the headphones when I'm sitting in the same room as the drummer or guitarist? Or would I just have to record and then listen to how it sounds? Which would probably make recording more time consuming and much harder.

Thoughts? Is this just a bad idea or is it possible?
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

You would need to listen back to make sure of things, but needless to say there are TONs of one room set ups. I highly recommend it for not only cost but having one larger room vs 2 small ones that will sound horrible.
You can use the following videos and articles to help with treating the room.
Educational Videos - Acoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics
Articles - Acoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

I recently built out a large space in my home. That is intended for use as a tracking romm. I have a second space for a control room that is not built yet. After coming from a small space for tracking and a smaller space for mixing. I have to say the improvement seem huge. So I feel comfortable seconding glens suggestion. I did spend about 20 to get the room to where I am at now. That included ductwork room in a room type construction, electrical (included breaker box) and acoustic treatment. I used the room for it first session and it really performed beyond expectation. My drums sounds have dramatically improved low end much less comb filtering, more flexibility in positioning mic. From what I am hearing so far I do not envision the heavy use of processing to get that final sound. And my mixes are finally translating in the low end. The room is big enough that it works quite well. If you get a decent size space with reasonable dimension invest in that first. If you have a nice room you can get great results with low end gear. It takes a lot of work to compensate for the bad room and even with great equipment.

SO take you time pick the best space you have available mesure and treat your room. Expand as budget permits. But alway with care and though.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

I've always been cursed with the thing where I plan this studio configuration and whatever, but the one that works and sounds and works the best is the one I threw together in a pinch - just cables everywhere in the same room. I think the only way to know is to listen. Try it!
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlkaardal View Post
can I get away with having one room, so the control room and live room are the same room?
Yes, and we discussed this here recently:

One-room studios

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
You would need to listen back to make sure of things, but needless to say there are TONs of room room set ups. I highly recommend it for not only cost but having one larger room vs 2 small ones that will sound horrible.
You can use the following videos and articles to help with treating the room.
Educational Videos - Acoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics
Articles - Acoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics
That's relieving to hear! I will definitely check out those links, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Yes, and we discussed this here recently:

One-room studios

--Ethan
Great thread, tried searching before but I must have missed that one. Thanks!
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

I recently checked out a space that is available for rent, it is a practice space for bands that is about 20 sqm. The price is ok but I'm just worried that it might be a little small, was picturing something a little bigger. I can't be too picky though since my budget is pretty small.

What do you guys think? Is 20 sqm (not a square room but pretty close) too small or can it work for now?
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

The band recorded Music From The Big Pink in a basement with the tracking mixer in the same room.
I recorded a CD with that arrangement and it worked fine.

Good Luck,

DanD
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Guru
Analysis

Even when there is a CR, I record and listen back, particularly for drums. Offlne like this one hears better and more. Also A/B comparisons are possible with changes of mic or position and so on. Again much better than real time assessment.
DD
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandekuyper View Post
The band recorded Music From The Big Pink in a basement with the tracking mixer in the same room.
I recorded a CD with that arrangement and it worked fine.

Good Luck,

DanD
This is a misconception. Music From Big Pink was record in New York and LA studios. The bootleg Great White Wonder "record," and the later Basement Tapes from Dylan's official Bootleg series, did use the recordings from the basement of Big Pink.

Tying this back to the OP's question about using one room, Dylan said something along the lines that working in a relaxed setting in someone's basement with a dog lying on the floor was the best way to record music.
Old 14th November 2018
din
Gear Maniac

I had a single room studio for the longest time. It ****ing sucks. I tried the isolating headphones and all that. It's a lot of bull****. Isolated control room makes getting good sounds a breeze. No surprises.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search