The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need Help Designing Studio
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

Need Help Designing Studio

Hello Slutz,

Having just bought a new house, I plan on building a studio in my basement. I've never had this much space before, so I'm finding that I can't seem to make up my mind on the layout. I thought I might turn to the forum here to help me with some options. I have attached a floorplan on how much space I have to work with (ie. the wife is giving me) as well as some pictures. If you feel so inclined please post a sketch or give suggestions!! A few things:

1. Ceiling height is 93", which will be 90" after channel/drywall/GG/drywall
2. There are steel beams that have to be considered, as well as duct work on the north end.
3. The stairs come down into the basement on the west side, so I'm thinking that may not be a good area for an entry. I would continue the staircase wall and then build another wall along it for isolation.
4. Isolation requirements: well, it's only going to get as good as it can get. In other words, double drywall on walls connected with clips and hat channel with double drywall on the ceiling.
5. Required rooms - a control room, where I will do 95% of all my work. Also, a room to record vocals, acoustic guitar, and play drums. Yes, I said drums. I have no illusion that I'm going to record drums and get a good sound. Don't worry about that - the room doesn't even have to sound good. I just need a place to set them up to play on a Saturday afternoon without disturbing the neighbors. Plus, I want a room for my kids to play in, be it drums, guitar, whatever. I'll also need a closet of some sort and maybe a sound lock (I had one in my last studio and it helped tremendously).

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out. If you have any questions regarding my available space or the photos please let me know. I will most likely hire someone to help me with treatment once this is built. Thanks!! Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help Designing Studio-looking-south.jpg   Need Help Designing Studio-looking-north.jpg   Need Help Designing Studio-northeast-corner.jpg   Need Help Designing Studio-southeast-corner.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Floorplan.pdf (122.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

That's a decent size space. The main thing to deal with now is determining the best dimensions for each room. This will help:

Graphical Mode Calculator

Then feel free to ask specific questions. You'll probably get more replies that way, versus asking for general input.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search