The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass traps enclosed in cardboard boxes? What do you guys think?
Old 15th October 2014
  #31
Gear Nut
 
p_marrison's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
It was an interesting experiment. There was a clear performance boost vs stacking tbe squares of insulation with no box.. even with just a single 24" cube placed along the front wall.
Hey do you have any photos of the layout of your room and treatment?

i have a room a similar size.
Old 15th October 2014
  #32
Lives for gear
 
nms's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_marrison View Post
Hey do you have any photos of the layout of your room and treatment?

i have a room a similar size.
Those are old pics from a temp space I setup before my new studio was built. I don't have more I can show on that one. Fun little exercise in seeing what could be done in such a small space though.
Old 15th October 2014
  #33
Gear Maniac
 
radioactivity's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Hey gents,

I wanted to run this by you and see what the regulars think of using cardboard boxes as enclosures for thick bass traps. I used this method for the big 18" x 18" floor to ceiling soffits I did in the front corners of my room. Built in 2' blocks it lends itself to easy stacking, configuring, and transport. Lightweight but sturdy enough to stack.
You got very interesting results with the cardboard boxes! I’m thinking to build 2 from floor to ceiling cardboard columns, depth 16inches, width 24inches for the corners of my back wall. What density you suggest to use for this depth?
Old 15th October 2014
  #34
Lives for gear
 
nms's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactivity View Post
You got very interesting results with the cardboard boxes!
The cardboard was not a crucial part of that. Just a contributing bump. All treatments in there were optimized for placement, thickness, density to tune the FR of that room specifically. There was a large front wall to ceiling frame used which was responsible for a lot of it.

Quote:
I’m thinking to build 2 from floor to ceiling cardboard columns, depth 16inches, width 24inches for the corners of my back wall. What density you suggest to use for this depth?
I wouldn't do it. Do that size across the entire wall. You don't want LF reflections off your rear wall whatsoever. You could do say 12-16" of low density fiberglass with 3-7" of low-medium density Rockwool in front.
Old 15th October 2014
  #35
Gear Maniac
 
radioactivity's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
There was a large front wall to ceiling frame used which was responsible for a lot of it.
I thought that it’s better to leave the front wall clear and move the speakers as close as possible to avoid LF reflections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
I wouldn't do it. Do that size across the entire wall. You don't want LF reflections off your rear wall whatsoever. You could do say 12-16" of low density fiberglass with 3-7" of low-medium density Rockwool in front.
I’m unable to do that because of room restrictions, door, closet, window. My room is small about 10square meters so covering the entire wall back or front is not an option. Instead I can build and place these soffit traps and place them in the corners of my back wall, something like this but for my back wall (first picture) https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10307123-post11.html
Old 16th October 2014
  #36
Lives for gear
 
nms's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactivity View Post
I thought that it’s better to leave the front wall clear and move the speakers as close as possible to avoid LF reflections.
Speakers were tight with the front wall, but there was a frame with 6" thick of rockwool spanning between them extending up into a 4' long angled straddle across the front wall to ceiling edge which continued into a cloud overhead. All one continuous face. The front wall to ceiling edge is a crucial spot to treat and results will vary quite a bit according to what you put there.

Moving speakers tight to the wall doesn't eliminate front wall interference. It just minimizes them and causes the problem spots to rise in frequency, which makes them easier to treat. In that room the 6" thick rockwool spanning between speakers contributed significantly.

Quote:
I’m unable to do that because of room restrictions, door, closet, window.
Just put as much as you can back there and do the ceiling to rear wall edge at least with straddled panels.
Old 16th October 2014
  #37
Gear Maniac
 
radioactivity's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Moving speakers tight to the wall doesn't eliminate front wall interference. It just minimizes them and causes the problem spots to rise in frequency, which makes them easier to treat. In that room the 6" thick rockwool spanning between speakers contributed significantly.
I have 4 rockwool panels 6inches deep 48x24inches hanged across the front wall, but they are hanged a bit higher from the speakers. Should I lower the panels and place them exactly behind the speakers? Any benefits?

I’m on a tight budget but possibly in the near future I could frame floor to ceiling the entire front wall, the deepest I can go is 6inches just like yours. What density you recommend for 6inch deep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Just put as much as you can back there and do the ceiling to rear wall edge at least with straddled panels.
For my back wall I can’t go deeper than 6inches, but in the corners I can place 2 soffit bass traps depth 16inches, width 24inches floor to ceiling. That’s why I asked you about the cardboard boxes, it would be easy and cheaper to build. For the center of my back wall I’ll place 4 rockwool panels 6inches deep 48x24inches that I have already made.

For the back soffits what density you recommend?
Old 17th October 2014
  #38
Gear Maniac
 
radioactivity's Avatar
 

bump!
Old 21st October 2019
  #39
sw_
Gear Nut
 

I know this is an old thread but I just got this idea too yesterday. Like stuff cardboard moving boxes with rockwool, seal it with gaffer tape and stack them in the corners. I really like the idea of not having to work with the loose wool more than necessary.

So, what was the verdict with your experiment? Did it work for you? Did you make any improvements after?

Another idea I had was to just keep the wool in the plastic sealed packaging and just wrap the whole package in some fabric (more of less for aesthetic reasons). A really simple idea solution... but would it work as good?

If lower frequency are to tame some plastic wrapping or cardboard shouldn't be an issue? Or...?
Old 21st October 2019
  #40
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw_ View Post
I know this is an old thread but I just got this idea too yesterday. Like stuff cardboard moving boxes with rockwool, seal it with gaffer tape and stack them in the corners. I really like the idea of not having to work with the loose wool more than necessary.

So, what was the verdict with your experiment? Did it work for you? Did you make any improvements after?

Another idea I had was to just keep the wool in the plastic sealed packaging and just wrap the whole package in some fabric (more of less for aesthetic reasons). A really simple idea solution... but would it work as good?

If lower frequency are to tame some plastic wrapping or cardboard shouldn't be an issue? Or...?
Leaving it its packaging and wrapping it with cloth, etc? No... wool needs to be let out of its packaging to expand to its full size to be effective

Throwing it in cardboard boxes... just wrapping wool in fabric... sure, assuming you have enough depth the proper insulation wool will work... it is the fire hazard death trap of cardboard boxes wrapped in fabric that’ll getcha
Old 21st October 2019
  #41
sw_
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Leaving it its packaging and wrapping it with cloth, etc? No... wool needs to be let out of its packaging to expand to its full size to be effective

Throwing it in cardboard boxes... just wrapping wool in fabric... sure, assuming you have enough depth the proper insulation wool will work... it is the fire hazard death trap of cardboard boxes wrapped in fabric that’ll getcha
Ok, so just wrap the package in fabric is a no go. But cardboard sounds like you approve to. Except for the death by fire thing then... but I mean, all rooms are covered in some form av textile. Be it curtains, sofas mats etc.. I say risk of fire are a lot higher in a normal kitchen with curtains than in a studio with some cardboard in the corners. Don't you think?
Old 21st October 2019
  #42
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw_ View Post
Ok, so just wrap the package in fabric is a no go. But cardboard sounds like you approve to. Except for the death by fire thing then... but I mean, all rooms are covered in some form av textile. Be it curtains, sofas mats etc.. I say risk of fire are a lot higher in a normal kitchen with curtains than in a studio with some cardboard in the corners. Don't you think?

Lol

I wouldn’t do it, but, there have been a few guys here in GS over the years that have experimented with cardboard boxes... they always seem to abandon the approach after testing for various reasons
Old 24th October 2019
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw_ View Post
I know this is an old thread but I just got this idea too yesterday. Like stuff cardboard moving boxes with rockwool, seal it with gaffer tape and stack them in the corners. I really like the idea of not having to work with the loose wool more than necessary.

So, what was the verdict with your experiment? Did it work for you? Did you make any improvements after?

Another idea I had was to just keep the wool in the plastic sealed packaging and just wrap the whole package in some fabric (more of less for aesthetic reasons). A really simple idea solution... but would it work as good?

If lower frequency are to tame some plastic wrapping or cardboard shouldn't be an issue? Or...?
I've been toying with the idea of stuffing a mattress protector that zippers closed. I saw one that's two feet thick and then 53x80.
Old 12th August 2020
  #44
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Go with fluffy when they are that size.

but why? the low freq won't be able to go through?
Old 12th August 2020
  #45
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
It was an interesting experiment. There was a clear performance boost vs stacking tbe squares of insulation with no box.. even with just a single 24" cube placed along the front wall.
hi did you it performed better with the cardboard box filled with insulation material?

thanks!
Old 12th August 2020
  #46
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Speakers were tight with the front wall, but there was a frame with 6" thick of rockwool spanning between them extending up into a 4' long angled straddle across the front wall to ceiling edge which continued into a cloud overhead. All one continuous face. The front wall to ceiling edge is a crucial spot to treat and results will vary quite a bit according to what you put there.

Moving speakers tight to the wall doesn't eliminate front wall interference. It just minimizes them and causes the problem spots to rise in frequency, which makes them easier to treat. In that room the 6" thick rockwool spanning between speakers contributed significantly.

Just put as much as you can back there and do the ceiling to rear wall edge at least with straddled panels.

Did the front wall treatment go all the way to the floor as well? thank you!
Old 12th August 2020
  #47
Lives for gear
 
sheggs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztronaut View Post
but why? the low freq won't be able to go through?
Why would you say that?
Old 13th August 2020
  #48
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheggs View Post
Why would you say that?
I did some reading and now understand the reason , the depth of the corner superchunk will determine the most effective materials according to it's Gas Flow Rate.
Old 13th August 2020
  #49
Lives for gear
Cool thread.

I have a garage full of box's. Once a year I go through and throw many out. The walls are so covered with varying box's that it sounds like cardboard in the garage. I have set up amps in the garage and it sounds great.

I had not considered using box's for controlling sound in a control room.

Over time we all collect cardboard box's and have to unload old cloths to good well or hand them down to others over time.

Box's are easy to re-size with a razor knife and packing tape. I wonder what would be the right cross section of box filled with old cloths to play with.

Can any venture to guess on that. My first guess would be 6" x 10" cross section.
Old 13th August 2020
  #50
Lives for gear
 
sheggs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztronaut View Post
I did some reading and now understand the reason , the depth of the corner superchunk will determine the most effective materials according to it's Gas Flow Rate.
Cool, if you are making traps make sure you use something that will work in the low end region
Old 13th August 2020
  #51
Boxes work! So do grocery bags. You can use a staple gun to attach either to the wall.

If you have faced fiberglass it is easier to use fabric than boxes.

Fold the fabric around the batt and staple the edges to the paper backing. Then staples or push pins to hold them in place.

If you can’t staple anything to your walls, you can use plywood or OSB as a backing and staple them to that then lean the plywood against the walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass traps enclosed in cardboard boxes? What do you guys think?-83620a04-8ad4-4d59-bcb0-8d4386cf9aca.jpg  
Old 13th August 2020
  #52
Here for the gear
 

Boxes do work and the fact that they reflect the high end can help preventing deadening the room. For that reason, I would not use boxes for 1st reflection but can work well for corners and the back wall.

I like to use boxes for testing (type of insulation material, dimension,... ) but not as a long term solution... given that the structure will deteriorate over time (especially subject to moisture) and may eventually collapse... There is also the appearance and risk of fire hazard (which can be mitigated by covering with fabric).
Old 13th August 2020
  #53
Agreed, it’s definitely not a permanent or inspection passing sort of solution.

But if you don’t want to give up 3 feet of floor space and you want to compare the benefits of 3 ft of fluffy vs 2 ft it’s a good way to find out what the results might be!

A faster way is to thumb tack faced fluffy to the walls

Last edited by Grovestand; 13th August 2020 at 09:58 PM..
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump