The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can't Hear The Bass in A Equal Trinagle
Old 13th October 2013
Can't Hear The Bass in A Equal Trinagle

in my previous room i didn't really gave much attention to the acoustics and the equal triangle so the distance between me and speakers is the same between the speakers themselves. anyway, now i moved to a new home and tried to make it a little more correct is a sort of way, and for some reason, when i sit exactly 85cm from each speaker, and the distance between them is also 85, i can't hear the bass, or hear the kick drum like it's kicking right.

and for some reason, if i move a little bit closer to the speakers for example the distance will be something like 60cm from me to the monitors, I'm starting to hear the bass the kick drums correctly..

I'm guessing it's because the room is not acoustically treated of course,
but is it OK to sit even if it's not equal triangle so at least I'll hear the bass?
BTW i have Bringer TRUTH B3030A Monitors.
and of course everything is being checked at monitor level. (83-85dB SPL)

thank you very much for any help.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, that is only a starting point, you may need to experiment to get the sound right for you. Oh and acoustic treatment of course
Old 13th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheggs View Post
Yes, that is only a starting point, you may need to experiment to get the sound right for you. Oh and acoustic treatment of course
so i didn't quite get your answer. is it ok to "break" the equal triangle so i'll the get bass - i understood you correctly?
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Basically as Jens says. Yes
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

OK - to begin with - as I believe the link Jens made mentions - there are no "rules" there are only suggested starting points to fine tuning the relationship of speaker to person within an specific room.

And the fact that you sliding forward improved things does not indicate that you should not be sitting within an equilateral triangle related to your speakers - it is quite possible that repositioning your speakers would provide an improved result.

Rod
Old 15th October 2013
nms
Lives for gear

How far are your speakers from the front wall?
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Guru

Here is a article we did on setting up your monitors. No rules!
Monitor Positioning in Room Setup - GIK Acoustics
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I would take the whole triangle and move it forward and backward.

While the 38% option is pliable, the equilateral triangle is a more rigid concept, in that straying from it too much will always lead to a diminished soundstage.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

I got the same problem
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1961 View Post
I would take the whole triangle and move it forward and backward.

While the 38% option is pliable, the equilateral triangle is a more rigid concept, in that straying from it too much will always lead to a diminished soundstage.
+1

But also try and change the size of the equilateral triangle but keeping the speakers close (as close as possible) to the front wall.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
+1

But also try and change the size of the equilateral triangle but keeping the speakers close (as close as possible) to the front wall.
OR very very far from the front wall (8' or greater).
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

I would check cabling, just to be absolutely sure that the speakers are not in antiphase.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search