The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Window to my left in the control room
Old 12th October 2013
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Window to my left in the control room

Hey guys,

Would it bother to have a window on my left in the control room? The way my speakers are gonna be oriented, the recording room is gonna be to my left. So I either put a window between those two rooms (usual approach), or leave the wall untouched and install a camera and a TV instead.

Or course I prefer the traditional approach of having a window to physically see the musician, but if in this case the acoustic and the stereo image in my control room suffer too much because of it, then it's gonna be the TV.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alex
Old 12th October 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
adrumdrum's Avatar
 

yes it's not a problem to have a side wall window but it's important that it is placed, sized and angled(usually horizontally) according to the acoustic design of the room.
Most Common Recommendations are 6 degree angle(horizontally) and not more than 1/4 in to early reflection aria. The angle will direct reflections further back then listening position, but also that 6 degree is needed if window facing a reflective slat covered aria(absorber with slats or slat resonator) on opposite wall with opposite 6 degrees to get 12 degrees non parallel. 12 degrees is recommended angle to avoid flutter echo.
But it depends on the acoustic design of the room and if splayed walls window is mounted flat on the wall.
Old 12th October 2013
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Hey adrumdrum, thanks for your reply!

There's nothing installed yet (no design either), so I'm free to put the window in whatever position or angle I want. When you say horizontal angle, are you talking about something like this?



So basically, if I have a window resembling this on my left, I should have an absorption panel on my right, that's identically angled? I can tell you that the walls are not splayed, so...

Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate it!

Alex
Old 13th October 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
jhbrandt's Avatar
Alex,

The window in your photo is angled VERTICALLY. This is usually done to prevent internal light reflections...

My 'rule' of 6 degrees is based on the position of the operators ear. Therefore, draw a line perpendicular to the operator facing forward, Rotate that line 6 degrees forward relative to the center of the operators' position. At the point where the line intersects the side wall should be the extreme edge of the side window.

We have done parallel windows on side walls in Control Rooms many times without flutter problems. It is different in a CR. The source of sound is ALWAYS from the front to the back.. from the speakers, therefore, parallel surfaces on the side walls of a Control Room normally do not cause problems.

As we keep saying here, 'Rules are made to be broken', and this one depends on the operator placement in the room and the width of the room... EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED.

So, to really get specific; take the published radiation pattern of the speakers in use and add 10-20%, calculate the surface reflections from every conceivable direction, ensure that no reflections are near the operator's ear. I would give him 24" or 61 cm clearance.

Cheers,
John
Old 14th October 2013
  #5
Here for the gear
 

John,

Thank you so much for the reply. I didn't expect such a specific explanation of the situation!

So basically, the window would not need to be angled at all if installed in relation to the listener's position? What about the opposite wall? Should it have a special treatment to balance the whole thing out?

The things is, the control room is only 180 sq, so what if I have no other choice but to have the window installed where the first reflections are? In a room that size, the listening position will probably be in the centre of the room...

Thank you for your time,

Alex

P-S: I was wondering, do you offer full studio design services (building plans, from the ground up)?
Old 14th October 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
boggy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
.......
We have done parallel windows on side walls in Control Rooms many times without flutter problems. It is different in a CR. The source of sound is ALWAYS from the front to the back.. from the speakers, therefore, parallel surfaces on the side walls of a Control Room normally do not cause problems. .........
I did this couple of times, and got sporadic flutter in one CR... so it is better to be more careful



Old 14th October 2013
  #7
Here for the gear
 

To make the situation clearer, here is a plan of the floor where I plan to install my studio:



The spaces I'm contemplating are #102 and #103, with #102 being the recording room and #103 being the control room. As you can see, even though there is no window right now between the two rooms, it was planned that way (it's a band rehearsal building).

I thought the two windows that look on the outside were centered, but they're not, so it would probably not be a good idea having the front wall there and the window that looks on the control room on my left. It would probably be a better idea to have that window in front of me, but then I would have the door on my left (directly adjacent to the front wall, which would make the installation of a corner bass trap impossible), and the two windows that look on the outside on my right.

What are your thoughts on this guys? That's a pretty tricky room to work with, right?

Alex
Old 15th October 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
jhbrandt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jenkins View Post
.... The things is, the control room is only 180 sq, so what if I have no other choice but to have the window installed where the first reflections are? In a room that size, the listening position will probably be in the centre of the room...
Yeah, I know.. compromises MUST be made, but you cannot mix or work in the CENTER of the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jenkins View Post
JP-S: I was wondering, do you offer full studio design services (building plans, from the ground up)?
Alex, that is the majority of my work.. new, from the ground up. send me an email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jenkins View Post
.... The spaces I'm contemplating are #102 and #103, with #102 being the recording room and #103 being the control room. As you can see, even though there is no window right now between the two rooms, it was planned that way (it's a band rehearsal building).
It CAN work. You may need to get creative with placement and absorption panels on stands, etc. but it can be done. The main thing that worries ME about room #103 is that it is A CUBE. Cubes are deadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jenkins View Post
I thought the two windows that look on the outside were centered, but they're not, so it would probably not be a good idea having the front wall there and the window that looks on the control room on my left. It would probably be a better idea to have that window in front of me, but then I would have the door on my left (directly adjacent to the front wall, which would make the installation of a corner bass trap impossible), and the two windows that look on the outside on my right.
As I said before, the windows are probably the least of your concerns, but at the same time just might help you if you don't need so much isolation. (They will act as bass traps and 'let the bass out', which will help greatly with the bass resonances from front to back and side to side - which are probably very close to the same frequency.

If you gotta.. you gotta. I just want you to know going in that there will be issues that treatment CAN NOT fix.

Cheers,
John
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump