The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Acoustical Clouds
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

Acoustical Clouds

Our church is remodeling a building. We have designed the lighting pattern to conform with 8’ square acoustical clouds. Our interior designer gave us a plan whereby we could construct these clouds by framing them with 2” x 2” wood covered with 2 - 4’ x 8’ sheets of pegboard (cut in 4 - 4x 4" squares) backed by acoustical bating. Our desire was for the clouds to have a nice wood appearance. We made a prototype and tried to stain the pegboard to look like wood grain finish. Instead it looked like a pegboard smeared with stain. We are starting all over again and need help. I have spent hours (days maybe weeks) on the Internet looking for a solution. We are committed to the 8’ square design due to our lighting configuration. Cost is a factor since we will need to install 20 clouds. Should we be using pegboard at all? If not is there any other covering that would give us a wood finish appearance or if not a more formal look for a sanctuary? Should we be using 2" x 4”s instead of 2” x 2”s?. We did take down an old acoustical ceiling and have the framing left over that could be somehow incorporated in the design. All ideas welcomed!
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Guru
Cloud

4 inches is a much better size than 2. I would forget the pegboard and use very fabric with very light laths in front.
DD
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for your input. What fabric would you recommend? Some of the commercial made clouds seem to be covered with a burlap (which comes in colors). What acoustical batting would you cover with the fabric?
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

In a Church I would not lean towards burlap...... Guilford of Maine had some very attractive FP acoustic fabrics.....

Acoustic Panel Textiles - Guilford of Maine

I agree that 4" is better than 2" (personally I would not even consider 2x materials for a frame.)

Rod
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post
In a Church I would not lean towards burlap...... Guilford of Maine had some very attractive FP acoustic fabrics.....

I agree that 4" is better than 2" (personally I would not even consider 2x materials for a frame.)

Rod
+1 Emphasis added.

If this is a permanent (lighting & treatment) support structure, it should be framed in one piece and sectioned into the 8" squares... or possibly I'm misunderstanding your design.

If you are wanting the 'wood' look, use real wood as Dan suggested with the lath. Then use the GOM fabric behind the lath and your rock wool or fiberglass above that.

Cheers,
John
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post

Rod
+2.. Guilford of Maine is the standard for commercial spaces. Flame rated and will stand the test of time.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search