The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Surface Behind Monitors Studio Monitors
Old 5th October 2013
Gear Head

Surface Behind Monitors

Hey folks, i'm hoping you'll be able to advise me on a slight issue...

One of my monitors is backed up against a hardwall, while the other is against a window. It's impossible to keep the distances even, as the window extends beyond the hardwall by about 8" (see pic). I have a bunch of treatment I plan on putting up soon at all the ER points - to what extent will this make up for the resulting acoustical imbalance?

Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebles View Post
Hey folks, i'm hoping you'll be able to advise me on a slight issue...

One of my monitors is backed up against a hardwall, while the other is against a window. It's impossible to keep the distances even, as the window extends beyond the hardwall by about 8" (see pic). I have a bunch of treatment I plan on putting up soon at all the ER points - to what extent will this make up for the resulting acoustical imbalance?

Imbalance will be in the frequency range where you can't easily hear direction from where sound coming. So imbalance will be measurable, but not easily audible.

Old 5th October 2013
Gear Guru

You can use the following program to test each speaker to view the response.
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Is it possible to flip your orientation so you're facing the wall at the bottom of the pic?
Symmetry is more important from the mix position forward- than it is at the back of the room. If you can put the odd wall behind you this may give you a more favorable response.
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
Is it possible to flip your orientation so you're facing the wall at the bottom of the pic?
Symmetry is more important from the mix position forward- than it is at the back of the room. If you can put the odd wall behind you this may give you a more favorable response.
Not always, but when the front wall is closer than the rear. Symmetry behind can work well also if it terminates the ITD gap.
Old 6th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Not saying you are wrong but just pointing out something. A couple of weeks ago I was at a clients room that is 22 feet by 15 feet, but about 14 feet back the room narrows around 3 feet or so. We found that to throw off the response left and right which we needed to treat that "quarter" wall area. So it really is not that cut and dry. Once again not saying you are wrong but pointing out other things that can happen.
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Not saying you are wrong but just pointing out something. A couple of weeks ago I was at a clients room that is 22 feet by 15 feet, but about 14 feet back the room narrows around 3 feet or so. We found that to throw off the response left and right which we needed to treat that "quarter" wall area. So it really is not that cut and dry. Once again not saying you are wrong but pointing out other things that can happen.
Thats about the size of my room (22ft by 16ft) which tapers to 15 ft at the rear wall.
U said " We found that to throw off the response left and right which we needed to treat that "quarter" wall area."
Can u explain that a bit?

Sent from my GT-N7100
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

That's also why i included the word "may".

Try it and see.
Old 6th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolida View Post
Thats about the size of my room (22ft by 16ft) which tapers to 15 ft at the rear wall.
U said " We found that to throw off the response left and right which we needed to treat that "quarter" wall area."
Can u explain that a bit?

Sent from my GT-N7100
I would not think a 1 foot bump out in the very back would hurt things.
Old 6th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
That's also why i included the word "may".

Try it and see.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search