The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Low Budget Must Haves for Building my Home Studio? Studio Monitors
Old 2nd June 2013
Gear interested

Low Budget Must Haves for Building my Home Studio?

Hi! I'm not looking to sound professional, because I'm not and have a VERY low budget compared to most of you. I'm only 15 years old but am trying to set up my home studio and record my own CD this summer (Mostly for fun and to learn about recording). I've started to build my own home studio, but have very little equipment and money. What is essential to having a home studio? My current equipment includes M-audio mobilepre interface, Blue Bluebird microphone, 4 guitars, An electric piano, Digitech loop pedal, Zoom Mrs-8, a laptop, and an amp. I see a lot about external hardware, should I be fine with just my DAW (mixcraft 6) and its plugins? Also, what plugins should I use? I'm just trying to learn. I'm also about to buy some monitors (Yamaha hs50's) cause I know that is essential. Is there any other equipment I need? Advice? I read a lot about recoring racks, do I need to start building a rack, or is my equipment fine for my needs? Thanks!
p.s. I also intead to buy a headphone amp to plug into my interface for recording vocals, and acoustic foam.
Old 2nd June 2013
Audio X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio47 View Post
Hi! I'm not looking to sound professional, because I'm not and have a VERY low budget compared to most of you. I'm only 15 years old but am trying to set up my home studio and record my own CD this summer (Mostly for fun and to learn about recording). I've started to build my own home studio, but have very little equipment and money. What is essential to having a home studio? My current equipment includes M-audio mobilepre interface, Blue Bluebird microphone, 4 guitars, An electric piano, Digitech loop pedal, Zoom Mrs-8, a laptop, and an amp. I see a lot about external hardware, should I be fine with just my DAW (mixcraft 6) and its plugins? Also, what plugins should I use? I'm just trying to learn. I'm also about to buy some monitors (Yamaha hs50's) cause I know that is essential. Is there any other equipment I need? Advice? I read a lot about recoring racks, do I need to start building a rack, or is my equipment fine for my needs? Thanks!
p.s. I also intead to buy a headphone amp to plug into my interface for recording vocals, and acoustic foam.
Hi and Welcome. You are posting in the acoustics forum, so you might get better info on the gear part if you post in another forum on this site. In the beginning, I wouldn't put to much onus on gear as you should learn to use what you already have to it's fullest potential and then buy and upgrade as you need and can afford.

Regarding room treatment, it's better to spend your money on insulation and fabric for traps (use search function) rather than foam which has pretty narrow uses.

The music comes first and everything else is secondary. You can definitely make a convincing recording with what you already own. For plug ins, the most important to learn and use is eq, but if you get the sound right at the source there is less eq that you will have to use in the first place. If you don't have speakers, maybe grab a pair of near fields, but don't expect the world for 400-500 bucks. Also get a decent pair of headphones, if you don't have them already. Here is a series of video's to check out that might be of some help concerning recording: http://www.pensadosplace.tv/ Have fun and good luck.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search