The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building a home studio, need hints Audio Interfaces
Old 11th May 2013
Gear interested

Building a home studio, need hints

Ok, im thinking of building a decent home studio for different kind of things.
Gear i owe is pair of KRK vxt6, and imac and some synths, and im looking forward to make and perfect audio interface for a price. The main thing i want to achieve is sound quality. Im having two builds in mind. I already owe allen & heath zed 24 and the main question is, is it better to buy an Avid Mbox pro or similar interface like rme (for around 1000 euros) and simply connect it with XLR cables with zed 24 or getting a fully digital mixer like presonus sl 16.0.2? As i said i the main goal is sound quality and im producing music from live band funk(what musicians use guitars over 5-10.000 euros, drums,keyboards all analogue ofc with cond. microphone and etc) to fully electronic tech house, so im willing to make some good environment. Please give me your advice how is best to spend this money in order to make studio like i described. Thank you very much.
Old 12th May 2013
Audio X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prehoffer View Post
Ok, im thinking of building a decent home studio for different kind of things.
Gear i owe is pair of KRK vxt6, and imac and some synths, and im looking forward to make and perfect audio interface for a price. The main thing i want to achieve is sound quality. Im having two builds in mind. I already owe allen & heath zed 24 and the main question is, is it better to buy an Avid Mbox pro or similar interface like rme (for around 1000 euros) and simply connect it with XLR cables with zed 24 or getting a fully digital mixer like presonus sl 16.0.2? As i said i the main goal is sound quality and im producing music from live band funk(what musicians use guitars over 5-10.000 euros, drums,keyboards all analogue ofc with cond. microphone and etc) to fully electronic tech house, so im willing to make some good environment. Please give me your advice how is best to spend this money in order to make studio like i described. Thank you very much.
If your main goal is sound quality, I wouldn't be concerned with buying a digital mixer. It's redundant if you're working in a daw and will do nothing to improve your sound. I'd spend the cash on improving your monitor chain and mixing environment. That includes room, conversion, controller, amp and speakers. The vxt6's aren't going to be too great for dialing in the lows with any accuracy or consistency even if your room or the rest of your chain is in order... gl
Old 12th May 2013
Gear interested

Thank you very much, i would like to hear more opinions and for sure i will take your advice in considering. I would agree that VXT6 is not best solution, but if we take fact that i got pair for 400euros everybody would agree that is good deal. I just want best audio quality for lets say mid budget class. I still need some advices about audio interface quality recording, cuz i still dont have a clue is it good to record main output of zed mixer.
Old 12th May 2013
RTR
Lives for gear

dont get anything "Mbox"...you would be better off with M-audio for the money. Unless you want to step up to Apogee or an RME interface
Old 12th May 2013
Lives for gear

I'd focus on
- Room, absorption mainly
- An interface that suits you ( Geir's audio blog: Choosing the right audio-interface ), typical with an 8ch adat expansion. If you intend to set up your workspace with the allen & heath zed 24, then preamps is less important.
- Buy a some pro headphones (you can use this to monitor the low bass)
- Then, maybe a character preamp, some good mics
Old 12th May 2013
Gear interested

Thanks mate. I have got Sennheiser's HD25 and im pretty satisfied with them. For sure im going to make some construction works about my room, cuz acoustics are horrible.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search