The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Double drywall
Old 30th March 2013
Double drywall

Is it recommended to apply anything between layers of drywall when constructing a double layer wall? I hear Green Glue is amazing, but it's not really in my budget. Plus, I used resilient channel on the ceiling and double stud walls with an inch gap between the plates. I also already know I need to use backer rod and caulk in the corners and mud the seams of the first layer. But do I just screw in the second layer on top of the first, or should I apply some sort of caulk or adhesive between the layers to control vibrations?
Old 30th March 2013
Great question, ive been wondering the same thing

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 31st March 2013
Here for the gear
Brian, I was sort of wondering the same thing.
BUT I believe green glue is suggested for airborne noise reduction, right? Is that what you need or primarily vibration isolation?
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

There are other demping glues used for damping footfall noise in wood/laminated floors that works just as good but cheaper than GG. The one I use is at Sika-84.(i'm from Sweden)
but if not glue, you need at least 3 layers of 13mm plasterboard and 250mm air gap (from the back of the drywall to the back of the drywall, or dubbe 4 "walls with 100-150mm gap between studs) or 2 layer 16mm plasterboard. Low density glass/rock wool between studs.
And all layers of plasterboard most be air tight!
Old 31st March 2013
Audio X
Also. There is Quiet Glue .. comparable to Green Glue

Less than $7 bucks per 28oz tube -- 12 tubes for $80
Double drywallQuiet Glue Pro Sound Dampening Compound 12 28 oz Tubes per Case Quietglue | eBay
Old 31st March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X View Post
Also. There is Quiet Glue .. comparable to Green Glue

Less than $7 bucks per 28oz tube -- 12 tubes for $80
Double drywallQuiet Glue Pro Sound Dampening Compound 12 28 oz Tubes per Case Quietglue | eBay
The one I use is in buckets as paint buckets not tubes, It's better when full glue plasterboard.
Audio X
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrumdrum View Post
The one I use is in buckets as paint buckets not tubes, It's better when full glue plasterboard.
Is it similar to this?
QuietGlue Pro Compound - 5 Gallon Pail - Quiet Glue on eBay!

Couldn't find to much info on Sika-84 in the states.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X View Post
Is it similar to this?
QuietGlue Pro Compound - 5 Gallon Pail - Quiet Glue on eBay!

Couldn't find to much info on Sika-84 in the states.
Yes it is probably the same.(correction on the one I used it's called "Sika AT-84" and is sold at least in Sweden, and maybe europe)
Old 1st April 2013
My question is still not answered. Do I need anything between layers of drywall to stop them from vibrating against each other. $7 is still more than twice as much as liquid nails or caulk, so it's just a bit out of my budget, especially if the effect will be negligible. I already have double walls, and resilient channel on the ceiling.
Old 1st April 2013
Lives for gear

Brian,

The answer to your question is "no"........ not only is there no advantage to gluing sheets together - there is a disadvantage........ you get higher isolation levels (given the same mass) with multiple sheets of unglued drywall than you will with the same mass of a single sheet (which is essentially what you are creating when you glue sheets together using adhesive products (green glue is (of course) not glue.)

Rod
Old 1st April 2013 | Show parent
Audio X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Woodring View Post
My question is still not answered. Do I need anything between layers of drywall to stop them from vibrating against each other. $7 is still more than twice as much as liquid nails or caulk, so it's just a bit out of my budget, especially if the effect will be negligible. I already have double walls, and resilient channel on the ceiling.
Green glue or Quiet glue is not intended for the same use as Liquid nails or Caulk.

It's effect is different from just adding drywall on top of drywall. You can see how it works and decide for yourself if it will help in your application here: http://www.greengluecompany.com/site...%20Drywall.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Woodring View Post
do I just screw in the second layer on top of the first, or should I apply some sort of caulk or adhesive between the layers to control vibrations?
You can screw them on top of each other and don't necessarily need them bonded together.

GG and QG can be used to dissipate the vibrations caused by sound waves as they travel through ceilings, walls and floors. It's different than just having a rigid wall. .. gl
Old 1st April 2013
Awesome! Thanks, Rod.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear